• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Liesa

Liesa
  • Foxy Lady

• 2196 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:26 AM

Still not a reason to kill someone...at least not in my opinion.

A few people have already said it, but I think the best phrase I've seen yet is "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind".  There is no logic behind "hey, you killed someone so now we will kill you!".  The death penalty is one of the most useless and hypocritical punishments ever conceived.

I agree that there should be boundaries and starting by actually implementing life sentences would be a great start. 

I can't speak for other people, only for how I view it. We have a rapist/murderer called Marc Dutroux. 

He kidnapped, raped (multiple times) 6 girls, kept them in his basement for years and later buried them alive.

In 2004 he got life and now 10 years later he's asking for an ankle monitor so he can be released from his cell.

And in my opinion I just don't believe he should ever get free, let alone waste our tax money on him because he has the most luxurious cell in the country. (TV, cell for him alone, he eats better than most of the poor people here.)

His wife (accomplice) got the same verdict and was released earlier this year, and I'm sure, if it wasn't from people protecting her she'd be dead a countless amount of times now.

#27 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:44 AM

Just kill them the same way they killed.

I like this idea.

#28 Epicurion

Epicurion
  • 58 posts

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:49 AM

That does make me sick, and that's what makes punishment so hard sadly.  I fully agree that we shouldn't have to waste our tax money on luxury for these people (tiny cell with a bed, community toilet and food 3 times a day sounds like plenty to me).  People like him should stay in prison for a long long time.  I do believe that anyone can change (even him) though...how and when is the issue that no one can really answer though.  It's so difficult to try to be moral to an immoral person...but society will be better for it in the end.

However, I do think we go too far in providing for these people.  You murder, rape, and molest people...then you don't get the right in society to have a better cell environment than the millions of people living on the street due to the economy...

Wish it wasn't so hard to balance what is too much and what isn't enough when it comes to punishment, I just know that the dealth penalty, no matter the situation, is too much.

#29 Liesa

Liesa
  • Foxy Lady

• 2196 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2014 - 05:53 AM

That does make me sick, and that's what makes punishment so hard sadly.  I fully agree that we shouldn't have to waste our tax money on luxury for these people (tiny cell with a bed, community toilet and food 3 times a day sounds like plenty to me).  People like him should stay in prison for a long long time.  I do believe that anyone can change (even him) though...how and when is the issue that no one can really answer though.  It's so difficult to try to be moral to an immoral person...but society will be better for it in the end.

However, I do think we go too far in providing for these people.  You murder, rape, and molest people...then you don't get the right in society to have a better cell environment than the millions of people living on the street due to the economy...

Wish it wasn't so hard to balance what is too much and what isn't enough when it comes to punishment, I just know that the dealth penalty, no matter the situation, is too much.

On one hand I do get conflicted, do we really want those people to have an easy way out? Because that's what death penalty is in my head. 

But I like your of punishment, and I wish there would come a time they'd start using it.

#30 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 November 2014 - 11:45 PM

I thought these were interesting:

pew-stateline-1.png pew-executions-gif-1.gif

The South has been home to the vast majority of executions since the Supreme Court reinstated the death penalty in the early 1970s. Since 1972, 1,116 of the 1,366 executions that took place in the United States have happened in Southern states. More than half of the 39 executions that took place in 2013 happened in Texas and Florida.

Just six states — Texas, Virginia, Oklahoma, Florida, Missouri and Alabama — accounted for two-thirds of all executions.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users