26 replies to this topic

#1 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2014 - 06:28 PM

I know tomorrow is Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving to you all and I hope you all have amazing wonderful things to be Thankful for!

I am most excited about Christmas though, because while I live in Tennessee, I am going back to Ohio for winter break and spending Christmas with my dad and mom. I haven't spent Christmas with my dad since 2006, and my mom since 2004. So, this is huge for me!

Also, when answering the above question... answer this one as well: Will you say Merry Christmas or Happy Holiday! Why?

I was raised on Merry Christmas, and while I am not religious now, I was raised Christian and I do believe in Jesus and God, but I don't feel like it needs to be the center of my life. No matter what though, I will always say Merry Christmas! Happy Holidays is just lame. I don't think Merry Christmas is solely a Jesus thing, I mean up until I was 11, I was living a "secular" life with my parents. It wasn't until my dad started going to church that I was involved in church. So, when I heard Merry Christmas as a kid, I didn't think people were talking about religious things. It comes with the holiday and makes me feel warm and happy! Always will. Happy Holidays is a cop out to me, and I get why people started saying happy holidays, I just don't agree with it.

Tat being said, I will end this with:

Happy Thanksgiving!

Merry Christmas!

Happy New Years!

#2 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2014 - 07:03 PM

I LOVE CHRISTMAS.

As always my whole family (which is huge btw) will be together. We play some games, listen to Christmas songs, bake cookies. It's the best holiday!

And I say Merry Christmas because it's not like the other holidays to just say Happy Holiday :p

#3 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:11 PM

Yeah I am gonna force my dad to watch the first and second Home Alone movies with me! :) Eeeek little girl shreek!

#4 Jake1

Jake1
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:13 PM

i love both, and happy ThanksGiving!

#5 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 November 2014 - 08:23 PM

I just go to my mom's place for a few days. Nowadays it's just me passing time with video games until either presents or food. The Christmas spirit died when my grandmother did.

#6 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:46 AM

We don't really celebrate it. Husband and I are going to be in London for it and everyone else usually leaves to go back to their families. So probably just getting super drunk at home and ignoring the whole affair.

#7 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:41 AM

Yeah I am gonna force my dad to watch the first and second Home Alone movies with me! :) Eeeek little girl shreek!

Yes! The ultimate Christmas films. We'll all go to someone's house - it's usually my nan's because she lives centre of everyone, but whenever someone's moved house that year we'll go there instead.

Usually I eat until I go into a food coma, watch rubbish films with my cousins, play several games of Spoons that get increasingly competitive and violent - there have been some broken phones and vicious scratches so we now have an age limit (yes, this is Serious Business), eat some more, and my cousins and I go out the next day to eat even more as that's one of my aunt's christmas present to all of us.

Basically, it involves a lot of food and pain.

#8 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:49 AM

I'm going to eat raw white chocolate macadamia nut cookie dough until I get salmonella poisoning, among other things.

#9 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2014 - 04:47 PM

I love Christmas! I generally dislike any holiday besides that one. Because it's ridiculously expensive to fly home during that time of year I typically spend it at a friend's house (as my boyfriend's family doesn't celebrate), but this year all my friends are off with their boyfriends so I was left planless. Which made me sad, so naturally I impulsively booked an expensive trip to LA. So, this year, my boyfriend and I will be spending the week in Disneyland and what not, and the day of Christmas .. probably eating left over chinese food and watching bad movies in a foreign country.  ^_^

#10 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:07 PM

@cara are you finishing your tattoo for Christmas?

#11 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:16 PM

@cara are you finishing your tattoo for Christmas?

Oh I'm sure it'll be done well before then!

#12 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2014 - 05:24 PM

Disappointment. Lots and lots of disappointment.
Maybe some manly crying.
And ham. So... little less disappointment. :p

#13 arcanum

arcanum
  • 1748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2014 - 06:29 PM

I absolutely adore Christmas. We are going Christmas early with my moms side (I think the sunday before Christmas?), Christmas w/ my dad and siblings is usually on Christmas Eve and then Christmas with my dads side on the 27th. ALSO, some of my closest friends wanna do Halloween on Christmas, because some of them don't like Christmas. xD I have 5-days off for Christmas xD so I'm kinda glad I'll be busy/seeing a lot of people.

We do gift exchanges on both sides, and at my dads we kinda buy for everyone. So yeah. ^.^

#14 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2014 - 07:57 PM

My work is actually closed Christmas day and we close at 5 p.m. on Christmas Eve. With no seniority I will end up working. I kind of want the holiday pay. I plan on spending Christmas Eve at my dad's and his side of the family, then the Christmas Day with my mom.

#15 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:45 PM

when I worked at a gas station, I always worked eve and Christmas, usually 24 hours at a time! Big money those weeks! I had no family or plans at the time so I took the money and it was an easy time!

#16 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:57 PM

Nooo idea.

My best friend, that I hung out with tonight, is moving to Texas for work right before then. :(

Hopefully my housemate won't have any conferences then or I'll be on my own.

#17 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:47 PM

Nooo idea.

My best friend, that I hung out with tonight, is moving to Texas for work right before then. :(

Hopefully my housemate won't have any conferences then or I'll be on my own.

Well, here's hoping you won't be alone on Christmas!

I absolutely adore Christmas. We are going Christmas early with my moms side (I think the sunday before Christmas?), Christmas w/ my dad and siblings is usually on Christmas Eve and then Christmas with my dads side on the 27th. ALSO, some of my closest friends wanna do Halloween on Christmas, because some of them don't like Christmas. xD I have 5-days off for Christmas xD so I'm kinda glad I'll be busy/seeing a lot of people.

We do gift exchanges on both sides, and at my dads we kinda buy for everyone. So yeah. ^.^

Halloween on Christmas is EPIC! OMG such an awesome idea. I hope you get lots of cool gifts!

Disappointment. Lots and lots of disappointment.
Maybe some manly crying.
And ham. So... little less disappointment. :p

I hope there is a lot of ham then! To lessen the disappointment!

I love Christmas! I generally dislike any holiday besides that one. Because it's ridiculously expensive to fly home during that time of year I typically spend it at a friend's house (as my boyfriend's family doesn't celebrate), but this year all my friends are off with their boyfriends so I was left planless. Which made me sad, so naturally I impulsively booked an expensive trip to LA. So, this year, my boyfriend and I will be spending the week in Disneyland and what not, and the day of Christmas .. probably eating left over chinese food and watching bad movies in a foreign country.  ^_^

Well that sounds amazing! I hope you have fun in LA which I am sure you will! Ummm, yeah now I want chinese!

I'm going to eat raw white chocolate macadamia nut cookie dough until I get salmonella poisoning, among other things.

I would eat chocolate chip cookie dough until I pass out! Mmmmmm! Or brownie batter!

Yes! The ultimate Christmas films. We'll all go to someone's house - it's usually my nan's because she lives centre of everyone, but whenever someone's moved house that year we'll go there instead.

Usually I eat until I go into a food coma, watch rubbish films with my cousins, play several games of Spoons that get increasingly competitive and violent - there have been some broken phones and vicious scratches so we now have an age limit (yes, this is Serious Business), eat some more, and my cousins and I go out the next day to eat even more as that's one of my aunt's christmas present to all of us.

Basically, it involves a lot of food and pain.

Spoons, omg I love that game and I can get pretty aggressive at it as well. I am extremely competitive! Food is always great and pain is for the reminders lol.

We don't really celebrate it. Husband and I are going to be in London for it and everyone else usually leaves to go back to their families. So probably just getting super drunk at home and ignoring the whole affair.

Hey getting drunk doesn't sound too bad either! I hope my daddy will buy me a bottle of wine for Christmas and we can have wine with our Christmas dinner!

I just go to my mom's place for a few days. Nowadays it's just me passing time with video games until either presents or food. The Christmas spirit died when my grandmother did.

I am so sorry to hear that! I don't know what I will do when that day comes for my grandma, we are sooooo close and I would take it so hard! What video games do you like to play!?

I LOVE CHRISTMAS.

As always my whole family (which is huge btw) will be together. We play some games, listen to Christmas songs, bake cookies. It's the best holiday!

And I say Merry Christmas because it's not like the other holidays to just say Happy Holiday :p

I wish we had some kind of tradition in our family. My man and I will make traditions for our family for sure! I would love to make baking cookies a traditon with my future children and leaving some on the fireplace for "santa" and give some to daddy! :)

I'm planning to survive Thanksgiving first :p

I think we're going to stay home for out Christmas. Get a tree, a nice dinner, some family friends, etc.

I can't wait until we buy our first house! We won't be getting a Christmas tree until we get our own home!

#18 Unmata

Unmata
  • 714 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:26 PM

I more just have fun stuff planned throughout December. 

Writing a letter to Santa, Meeting Santa, Exciting! Making a gingerbread hosue is kind of a big deal/event. We're pretty casual with ninjabread men and gingerbread stars that go on the tree with candycanes...  but the gingerbread house is really my thing. December is just one giant apple cidar, pommegranites, hot chocolate, sledding fest. With cookies and crafts and gift baskets. You can hate me now, but all year I basically suck and then like a christmas star I rise and invoke the godly powers of pinterest!

We also adopted this advent tradition from our Scandinavian friends. They have a quilt like tree that goes up on the wall with little gifts (think stocking stuffers) tied with ribbons for each day. Our version is not that impressive. But by the time the girls are old enough to remember this crap it will be. 

December 21st ~ We observe Winter Solstice, because crafts. I make an ice wreath with birch twigs, cranberries etc, (super easy, pintrest that right quick) bird seed ornaments and decorate pinecones. We hang them on/ at the base of a tree in our backyard. Some rabbits laze behind our house all year and deer cut through our yard every night (I forgot the pumpkin on the step from Halloween and they ate it) so the treats get eaten, it makes memories for our girls. Doesnt cost anything. 

We do Christmas too, and as for greetings.... whether I celebrate something or not, my reply will always be heartfelt "thanks, you too" because I loathe the 'taking back Christmas' vs happy Holidays pictures that float around facebook this time of year. If someone wishes you well, just accept it.

Edited by 0ryx, 28 November 2014 - 03:35 PM.

#19 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2014 - 03:35 PM

My Christmas will consist of a short visit with extended family and then dinner with my mum and sister (and husband and baby). It is much simpler in Australia. In the USA we would have like 20 people over for lunch and spend the day eating and wearing our jammies... i miss those days.

Happy early Christmas y'all! :)

#20 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:33 PM

As a postie, I will be working.

#21 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2014 - 04:56 PM

I say Merry Christmas or Happy holidays. Depends. 

I'll be with my mom and step dad for Christmas. Last year I think we had my step brother, step sister and their spouses and kids over, but sometimes we have them over on Christmas Eve. It just depends on when they're available. We wake up early, open our gifts, and then have a breakfast that we only cook once a year. Then, we watch the parade and by then, I'm probably napping because I ate too much food. 

Thennnn we watch a movie or something. 

Christmas Eve we have a lobster or steak dinner and watch It's A Wonderful Life (which is one of my favorite movies)

#22 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:06 PM

I more just have fun stuff planned throughout December. 

Writing a letter to Santa, Meeting Santa, Exciting! Making a gingerbread hosue is kind of a big deal/event. We're pretty casual with ninjabread men and gingerbread stars that go on the tree with candycanes...  but the gingerbread house is really my thing. December is just one giant apple cidar, pommegranites, hot chocolate, sledding fest. With cookies and crafts and gift baskets. You can hate me now, but all year I basically suck and then like a christmas star I rise and invoke the godly powers of pinterest!

We also adopted this advent tradition from our Scandinavian friends. They have a quilt like tree that goes up on the wall with little gifts (think stocking stuffers) tied with ribbons for each day. Our version is not that impressive. But by the time the girls are old enough to remember this crap it will be. 

December 21st ~ We observe Winter Solstice, because crafts. I make an ice wreath with birch twigs, cranberries etc, (super easy, pintrest that right quick) bird seed ornaments and decorate pinecones. We hang them on/ at the base of a tree in our backyard. Some rabbits laze behind our house all year and deer cut through our yard every night (I forgot the pumpkin on the step from Halloween and they ate it) so the treats get eaten, it makes memories for our girls. Doesnt cost anything. 

We do Christmas too, and as for greetings.... whether I celebrate something or not, my reply will always be heartfelt "thanks, you too" because I loathe the 'taking back Christmas' vs happy Holidays pictures that float around facebook this time of year. If someone wishes you well, just accept it.

Awww your traditions sound amazing and fun! I love it. I agree with your last sentence, just accept it... but I alwasy respond back with Merry Christmas, not because of the "Christ" aspect... but because that phrase takes me back to my child hood years and warms my heart!

My Christmas will consist of a short visit with extended family and then dinner with my mum and sister (and husband and baby). It is much simpler in Australia. In the USA we would have like 20 people over for lunch and spend the day eating and wearing our jammies... i miss those days.

Happy early Christmas y'all! :)

Happy early Christmas to you as well! I will be in jammies as well for sure! But with jingle bell earrings lol. Maybe a light up "C

As a postie, I will be working.

What's a postie? And hopefully you will have some amazing dessert before or after!

I say Merry Christmas or Happy holidays. Depends. 

I'll be with my mom and step dad for Christmas. Last year I think we had my step brother, step sister and their spouses and kids over, but sometimes we have them over on Christmas Eve. It just depends on when they're available. We wake up early, open our gifts, and then have a breakfast that we only cook once a year. Then, we watch the parade and by then, I'm probably napping because I ate too much food. 

Thennnn we watch a movie or something. 

Christmas Eve we have a lobster or steak dinner and watch It's A Wonderful Life (which is one of my favorite movies)

I love that movie as well! I love all of the Christmas movie marathons they have going on every year! That's a tradition I will probably have, watch "It's a Wonderful Life" with the family!

hristmas light" necklace!

#23 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:15 PM

I love that movie as well! I love all of the Christmas movie marathons they have going on every year! That's a tradition I will probably have, watch "It's a Wonderful Life" with the family!

hristmas light" necklace!

Such a classic! I love it lol. I'm glad they have it on NBC every year. 

#24 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2014 - 05:25 PM

@Peacock it is a postal worker.

#25 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 November 2014 - 06:33 PM

@Peacock it is a postal worker.

OOOOOOOoooooo lol good to know! How do you feel about working on the holiday, if that is ok to ask?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users