• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 12:58 PM

Everyone has a story of how they got here! Tell yours here.

Some questions to consider: How did you get into Neopets? How did you get involved in the cheating scene? How did you find Neocodex? What skills have you learned during your time? What did you take away from you experience?

Here is my story:

Around 7 or 8 years ago, when I was still in elementary school, I discovered Neopets from a family friend's son. I really liked Neopets because of the flash games, which were SUPER COOL back then and are still a lot of fun   :rolleyes:  ​Soon, I found a group of friends who also played Neopets in my elementary school. The four of us made a group account and named it after our imaginary RPG called nitro. We had a lot of fun and made an entire 300k legit, which was SUPER AWESOME!

Fast forward 7 years later, in 2013. I had stumbled on our old Neopets account, which wasn't purged or hacked. I decided to try Neopets again for the sake of nostalgia, and was soon sucked back into the game. I wanted to know how to get more Neopoints with less effort, because I didn't have as much time as before, so I started searching up Neopets cheats. I specifically was looking for a score sender, because I still didn't know what autobuying or restocking was. I came across many dead sites, like Neofriends and DZ, before I found a greasemonkey script that could send scores! I was so happy that I found a free program that actually worked, so I proceeded to stupidly score send a bunch of games at the same time on my old group account.

It wasn't the score sending that got my account iced back then. After researching how to gain neopoints faster, I also stumbled upon the whole autobuying and restocking concept. I spent a whole lot of time trying to look for a restrictionless autobuyer (that also preferably worked on Mac). During this time, I came across Neocodex and a few other cheating sites. I did eventually find what I was looking for in Hidden Below. There was this one person who had made a chrome extension that could autobuy. It was a really neat program: You just go to a shop, press a button on the page to autobuy, and it would automatically buy stuff based on profit scrapped from JellyNeo. Unfortunately, it was too powerful for me. I got really greedy and proceeded to rape the Magic shop. Needless to say, the program worked spectacularly, and my account got iced. All of my childhood memories were lost due to my stupid mistake :(

Next, rebuilding. I made a new account, and vowed to be more careful. This was the time when I really joined Neocodex. I figured, Neocodex has a safer autobuyer, and wouldn't it be nice to unlock all the super special Abrosia perks? Thus, I set myself to get to Advanced+. My journey here started when I decided to post at least 5 posts every day, and turned into me being addicted to Neocodex. Over my time on Neocodex, I have made friends, made enemies, lost friends, and reconciled with past enemies. Got adv+ after a long struggle. Lost many accounts due to more stupidity. Took a hiatus once for cello stuff. This happened. People got pissed until I fixed it. Got into Private after a long struggle. Yeah.

Spoiler

#2 March

March
  • 289 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:07 PM

I imagine my story is similar to a lot of other peoples, I played neopets as a kid and always wanted a freakin krawk but could only make like 20k a day playing those dumb flash games. Got bored in college and found the login to my old account, heard somewhere about how terrible "cheaters" were and went looking for them :p

#3 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3,201 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:09 PM

That old topic has made me sad. I miss Kim. :(

#4 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25,516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:31 PM

Ooh, I already posted my history so that saves me a few minutes!

#5 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3,201 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:33 PM

You can do an update about meeting me and your whole life being changed for the better.

#6 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25,516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:34 PM

You can do an update about meeting me and your whole life being changed for the better.

This is the life story thread, not the fairytale thread, dear. :rolleyes:

#7 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:49 PM

Frankly, I couldn't follow your history, it was a bit confusing. It would be nice if you could retouch the story a bit :)

#8 KyloRen

KyloRen
  • Snoke says I'm special.

• 5,103 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:54 PM

I saw my cousin playing the old neopets on her computer and I wanted to join, so I did. My very first account was purged. I started again years later, when I was 12, and that account still exists. I lost interest, and then started again 3 years ago, with a new account. 

I got onto the cheating scene because I believe I was looking for a kad feeder. I was too lazy to feed legit, plus I didn't think it was possible with all the "overfeeders" and more experienced people without using programs.

found the "other site" first, but decided I didn't like it.

I then found codex, and have stayed ever since. 

I've learned to always double check your SS, and how to make things look human. 

#9 T2dR

T2dR
  • 25 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 01:56 PM

I got into Neopets by accident; when I was 10 I had to do make an informative booklet about pets, so I used the internet to do research and managed to find a virtual pet site. Signed up out of curiosity, made a green Zafara and got hooked on the Flash games haha.

At some point, it wouldn't let me login and the servers 'forgot' my email... so I made a new account at 11 and continued, before losing interest around 15. Came back when I started college and went on and off up until now.

As for Neocodex, I don't know how I stumbled upon here exactly. I think I was honestly searching for normal Neopets stuff but found this place and was like "wow, I can do stuff the easy way at last!" I'll admit, I hated cheaters a lot at first. I still have problems with some forms of illegit stuff, but on the whole, this place really changed my opinion. ^^ You guys are pretty cool.

#10 Karla

Karla
  • I live, I learn, I rule.

• 2,347 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:01 PM

In my early high school years, I heard of Neopets through the oppressive Hampsterdance forum, and decided to play it.  I lost interest pretty quickly.  In my early years of college, I came back to play.  Got iced.  I took a 5 year hiatus and came back to Neopets, and concentrated on getting my "dream pets."  It's pretty hard to do when you're only making 10K a day. D:

You can read my Neocodex story here (copypasta'd from my blog):

Spoiler

#11 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2,040 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:18 PM

I used to be a member of this awesome site that essentially lived by the same principals as NeoCodex called IcedAccounts.

For some reason it went through a revamp at some point while I was on hiatus there, but got an email about it and came back.

Eventually ended up becoming a SuperMod there and ruled with an iron fist... over a handful of members and a bazillion bots from China.

Since so many of our members, staff, programmers were already also members, staff, programmers here I ended up checking this place out too.

Back then my introvertedness was just as bad so I mostly lurked on/off until this year.

And that's where baby robots come from.

Er... I mean and now you're stuck with me. 

:)

RIP IA - Thnks fr th Mmrs

#12 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25,516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:20 PM

I used to be a member of this awesome site that essentially lived by the same principals as NeoCodex called IcedAccounts.

For some reason it went through a revamp at some point while I was on hiatus there, but got an email about it and came back.

Eventually ended up becoming a SuperMod there and ruled with an iron fist... over a handful of members and a bazillion bots from China.

Since so many of our members, staff, programmers were already also members, staff, programmers here I ended up checking this place out too.

Back then my introvertedness was just as bad so I mostly lurked on/off until this year.

And that's where baby robots come from.

Er... I mean and now you're stuck with me. 

:)

RIP IA - Thnks fr th Mmrs

I didn't recognise you from your current username. :p It's been a while.

#13 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3,201 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:24 PM

This is the life story thread, not the fairytale thread, dear. :rolleyes:

Pfft. But it's grimm up north.

(See what I did there?)

#14 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2,040 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:27 PM

I didn't recognise you from your current username. :p It's been a while.

Yeah... had to change it because... reasons...  :lol2:

Been trying to find the old gang but hear some of them are also hiding under other aliases. *cough* :reaper: *cough*

#15 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25,516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:28 PM

Pfft. But it's grimm up north.

(See what I did there?)

Did you reaaally just say that? :rolleyes: Nitro would be proud!

#16 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16,713 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:29 PM

Here's my story:

The Beginning:

In February 2004, I found myself playing Neopets and wanted to get ahead in the game. I was searching around for cheats, and stumbled upon an MSN group about Neopets cheating. That is where I noticed a post by a programmer named "reggieleewolf21" who was posting links to Neocodex (at the time, neocodex.tk) on the forum. The post said something about them being a new Neopets cheating forum with programs and such. I joined in mid-February and noticed that there were some neat programs around. 

Creating standalone programs has always been a goal of mine since owning a computer. However, the only way I knew how to create a standalone program was to use this awful game making program (which was designed to let people make side-scroller games and the like). My first program was a very shitty "Buried Treasure Grabber" program, which visited URLs in the browser by clicking a button. Suffice to say, it was rejected from approval for being too shitty because of absolutely no automation. :p I understood, since a game creator program can only do so much. I saw that some of the other programs (made by Hidden.Elf, reggieleewolf21, and others) had some automation to them, and were created using the Visual Basic 6 programming language. For the first time, I had found a place where I felt I could learn how to create "proper" programs.

The programming forums and the programmers at the time got me set up with some sample code for a VB6 program, and I was on my way to creating my first properly programmed program. My first program was the re-done Buried Treasure Grabber program, which actually had some automation to it to visit sequences of links automatically. Still not the greatest thing on earth, but approved! My next program, "Rhello", was a dailies engine that made use of timers that could be set/reset for each kind of daily event. That one ended up earning me the Programmer rank in March 2004, and a couple weeks later, Retired Member status (just because?). A couple programs later (and a fair bit of forum chatter during this time), and they decided it was a good idea to make me Administrator # 6 in April. Yes, we had 6 at the time -- Hydrogen, Hidden.Elf, TheWu, RareDareDevil, AUS, and myself. The 7th would be Noitidart, in July 2004.

Digibliss Era:

Neocodex wasn't the only site around that was making cheat programs though. There were two more: Digibliss, and Neohacks. We quickly developed a rivalry with Digibliss. They had some pretty talented programming staff (notably, neo_grl, which was later proven to be a programmer father impersonating his 11 year old daughter, lizzaskizza, and others). A lot of our programs were copy-cats of programs that they had (they had "Chello", we had "Rhello"!). There was one program of theirs that was especially impressive: their networked autobuyer, the "Ultimate Autobuyer". It was the Abrosia of 2004 where it used pricing information from various people to make intelligent decisions on what to autobuy. It motivated us to try to make our own. We failed. Digibliss and Neocodex began some negotiations to merge our two sites together. Our administrators were not guaranteed positions on their staff. Needless to say, we ceased the negotiations. :p

There were some DDoS attacks, spam attacks (likely from both sides), as well as the infamous "15 million NP contest". This was a contest held by neo_grl to motivate people to spam our site. This caused some uproar at Digibliss, where "she" was removed from the staff there. This was also around the time when we had the brainwave to start doing surveillance on other sites such as Digibliss to protect ourselves from attacks. Our approach didn't end too well for us, and people were quite pissed off. This was also around the time that Digibliss had died off, and 3volutions was created alongside Neotwist and Iced Accounts (the latter two being spin-offs of Digibliss).

AUS, and TheWu also stopped administrating around this time, with Hidden.Elf to follow the year after.

The Golden Age of Forum Activity:

The forum activity in 2005 to 2006 was the biggest that Neocodex had ever seen. It was common for the forum to reach 2000 to 3000 posts per day in that time period. We've never achieved this level of activity since, although the raw traffic numbers back then were smaller. It's just that there were so many die-hard posters at the time (I am looking at you @Typhoon, @Kimoflea, @Ali, and company). :p 100 post days were a common event.

Between 2006 and 2009, things were not as dramatic. Any exciting events involved being overly obsessed with our activity numbers, and expansion of our Graphics Team, Downloads Section (as well as a neat authentication method created by Mumei), among other things. 2008-2009 was a very inactive period for me, since I was busy with school and took a leave of absence. It was also a fairly inactive time period for the site, which was noticeably on the decline.

Startup Mode:

In May 2009, we declared that Neocodex would be put back up in "startup" mode. This meant a complete revamp to our approach on building the community, based on the mentality of "if we build it, they will come". Emphasis on building community events was transferred to building superior programs that would entice people to join and discuss their experiences. This meant the return of Noitidart and I to programming, and we sure did a lot of programming. Our core programming language was switched to Python, which I learned quite quickly from Hydrogen. We also learned how to make our programs compatible for Mac OS X, which we felt was an untapped user base. Three weeks of solid work (every waking hour, more or less) was spent getting Abrosia created, and it was finally released in August. The public release of the Items Database followed shortly after. 

Noitidart was in charge of making "legit" tools (tools that give users information, but doesn't give them a superior advantage like autobuyers), such as the NeoAlerts and NeoLogs. He was sort-of against cheat programs but condoned their existence on the site and focused his efforts on legit Neopets tools. Eventually, we had some argument about the direction of the site (I forget the details exactly), and Noitidart decided to part ways with us.

This was also a move to a centralized programming team, which iargue and Pyro699 were later a part of. More arguments, blah blah, and iargue was removed from the programming team, and Pyro699 eventually became an administrator. This was around the time that the Program Manager was created, though I only helped with testing and some converting of programs to the manager.

We started a side business in 2012 reselling Neocash cards because we saw that there wasn't a very convenient way to get card codes delivered to you instantly online. We used to drive around and buy thousands of dollars of card codes at stores, but then we found a supplier that electronically delivers the codes to us and so we stopped buying physical cards.

In 2013, I took on a full-time job at a local startup company and did not have too much free time to watch over Neocodex anymore. I resigned as administrator and nominated Strategist to take my place. Here we are today.

#17 Padme

Padme
  • 1,577 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:38 PM

I was a kid.

I had internet.

I googled games.

I came across Neopets.

Eventually I googled how to make lots of neopoints and found different forums/guides/etc.

I creeped a lot of these pages and groups.

I quit playing.

I came back when I've been bored in college and finally made an account because of the AC. 

TL;DR: I was nerd. Still am a nerd. I like destruct o'match. 

#18 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6,366 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:43 PM

I joined Neopets as child (I think my first account would be about 13 years old?). I made some "friends" and got cyber bullied by them a bit so I eventually quit. I would come back every couple of years just to check on my account. When I was a freshman in college, I got bored and decided to start playing again. I played legit for about a year then I got tired of trying to make neopoints the hard way so I asked a member of my guild what cheating site she uses. She told me she uses Abrosia from Neocodex. I don't think I joined when I first looked at the site. I think I did a few days later. Eventually, I made an introduction thread which I never usually do because I'm shy. I was a bit intimidated too. I started talking to people and making friends. I hosted a few contests and was eventually promoted to Contest Leader. About a month later, I became mod, and I have been doing fun contests and mod stuff ever since. 

#19 Lovisa

Lovisa
  • 428 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 02:58 PM

I think it had something to do with the Tamagotchi I had back then... which broke...God Im old.

Searched around for pets and found Neopets, which was quite challenging in the beginning since I barely spoke English. After a while I made my mom play the card games there to make me money, lolol.

Stopped for some years but one of my friends got me into it again a few years ago. Realized I had no patience so started to search after Neopoint generators to get my wishes.. and I ended up here xD

Edited by Lovisa, 30 November 2014 - 03:00 PM.

#20 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3,201 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:06 PM

Did you reaaally just say that? :rolleyes: Nitro would be proud!

Oh come on, that was good!!

#21 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25,516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:17 PM

Oh come on, that was good!!

Are you trying to convince me or yourself of that? :rolleyes:

#22 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3,201 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:21 PM

Are you trying to convince me or yourself of that? :rolleyes:

Yeah. Alright. A little of both. But we both know your world is greatly enriched for having me in it.

#23 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25,516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:22 PM

Yeah. Alright. A little of both. But we both know your world is greatly enriched for having me in it.

It's certainly less dull I'll give you that. ^_^

#24 shrouded

shrouded
  • lil'cluck

• 1,250 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:23 PM

I played Neopets when it was first released during a summer camp. I was really active on Neofreaks and SD. I joined here and never posted much in 2005. Another forum member, @Apex or @Fusion not sure of his username, and I used to share this account just so we could use the programs. I do remember a lot of activity on pretty much every forum. There were a lot more users active in graphic subforums and general discussion. Not so much here, but old NF members feel like family at this point. This is the short version.

tl;dr don't ban me for sharing accounts in 2005-2006

#25 Kate

Kate
  • 🐟🐳

• 7,352 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 November 2014 - 03:32 PM

I played Neopets when it was first released during a summer camp. I was really active on Neofreaks and SD. I joined here and never posted much in 2005. Another forum member, @Apex or @Fusion not sure of his username, and I used to share this account just so we could use the programs. I do remember a lot of activity on pretty much every forum. There were a lot more users active in graphic subforums and general discussion. Not so much here, but old NF members feel like family at this point. This is the short version.

tl;dr don't ban me for sharing accounts in 2005-2006

Bye Felicia

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: story, fun, murica, neocodex, yey

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users