#1 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:17 PM

So here's my current specs:

Spoiler

Basically my computer will crash if I play... well practically any pc game despite being capable to run most things on Ultra. Even setting it to the lowest setting it's only a matter of time before the game freezes, the sound goes all wonky, and I'll either have to manually power the entire system off OR a blue screen flashes before it goes dark and reboots.

The only games I am able to, generally, play are flash based games on Kongregate & Neopets and older games like Total Annihilation & Age of Mythology: Extended Edition. Heck, I'm honestly surprised it can handle Minecraft... but I guess it's just not graphic demanding enough to cause whatever the problem is.

When I called CyberPowerPc they suggested removing the RAM as it "sounds like a faulty one".  :rolleyes:

Wasn't making any progress with them so didn't bother calling back.

​Note to self: reinsert second memory card as problem still occurs.

Based on the problems occurring on the (somewhat) more demanding games I assume it's either the video card itself or the video card isn't getting cooled properly/enough. Honestly... not certain.

The problem is especially at its worse during the triple digits of summer or when we're having to run the heat in the winter.

^These times it goes beyond crashing during gaming and can & will crash during something as trivial as a youtube video or browsing Facebook.

The problem occurs less frequently since I removed the side panel and put a fan on it... but still can't do even mild "real" gaming. (Killing me not being able to play Civilization: Beyond Earth).

So... anyone able to help me figure out what's wrong and how I can fix it? Not really "in the know" when it comes to my hardware anymore.  :unsure:

Just enough to get by. Usually.

Heck, not even 100% certain what type of cooling system I ended up with.  :S  Coulda swore I had liquid cooling, but honestly don't remember.

#2 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:20 PM

When was the last time you cleaned your PC?

#3 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:25 PM

Did you try turning it off and back on again.

#4 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:27 PM

Did you try turning it off and back on again.

It does that for me. Against my will.
But yes. :p

When was the last time you cleaned your PC?

The hardware?

#5 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2014 - 05:35 PM

Cleaning hardware might help, but it's probably a software problem. When is the last time you cleaned up your software?

Never had a gaming pc before so have never really cleaned the insides other than compressed air periodically.

Usually do malware/virus/etc scans couple times a month but they never find anything.

Misc. scan disks, cookie, registry cleaners from time to time. Defrag about once... think it's set for once a week. No more than once a month.

Everything is running pretty smooth. Slowish start up time, but other than that problems only really happen when gaming.

#6 MC10

MC10
  • 353 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:07 PM

My computer started doing this recently as well. Actually, it's been an on and off thing that started again...

I know the Catalyst update recently screwed with some peoples' systems. Do you have AMD or Nvidia graphics?

Nevermind, just saw your specs.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but in my case I believe it's my loose graphics card. The PCI connector is kind of loose and the card itself kind of sags in the slot. I've reseated but it still seems to do this. Usually I'll just have to power off and give it a good push to make sure it's secure.

In your post you mentioned temps. If you aren't monitoring temperatures right now, you can get Core Temp to check CPU temps and I use GPU-Z for the video card. Try monitoring your temps while you play those games and see if the video card overheats.

Edited by MC10, 01 December 2014 - 06:14 PM.

#7 Hawk

Hawk
  • hawk·ish·ly

• 9688 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:12 PM

Are all drivers up to date?

#8 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:21 PM

Are all drivers up to date?

Yes

My computer started doing this recently as well. Actually, it's been an on and off thing that started again...

I know the Catalyst update recently screwed with some peoples' systems. Do you have AMD or Nvidia graphics?

Nevermind, just saw your specs.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but in my case I believe it's my loose graphics card. The PCI connector is kind of loose and the card itself kind of sags in the slot. I've reseated but it still seems to do this. Usually I'll just have to power off and give it a good push to make sure it's secure.

In your post you mentioned temps. If you aren't monitoring temperatures right now, you can get Core Temp to check CPU temps and I use GPU-Z for the video card. Try monitoring your temps while you play those games and see if the video card overheats.

Thanks for the tips. Will check out those programs right away.
Popping by walmart tomorrow to get some compressed air. Take everything out, individually dust it, and i'll certainly make sure they're in nice and tight.

Now that I think about it, this didn't start happening until the second time I moved my computer so it may very well be a loose connection or a combination of things.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. 
Going to test a few new ideas out tomorrow and will hopefully have an update around this time.

thumbsup2.gif

Edited by DawnKnight, 01 December 2014 - 06:37 PM.

#9 MC10

MC10
  • 353 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 December 2014 - 06:37 PM

Now that I think about it, this didn't start happening until the second time I moved my computer so it may very well be a loose connection or a combination of things.

Yeah that sounds like that could do it. I've accidentally kicked my computer a few times since it's under my desk and that usually screws with it. Something is probably loose, most likely the video card or the connector for it.

If it doesn't get fixed, you could always try one of those Windows or tech forums. If you give them your dump files or whatever they can usually figure out what's causing the BSOD's. They've helped me before when I had incompatible network drivers.

Edited by MC10, 03 December 2014 - 12:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users