Quantcast

Photo

I'd like to have a contest giving away a copy of Minecraft...thoughts?

contest question

25 replies to this topic

#1 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:53 PM

I am interested in increasing participation among this awesome community in Minecraft, and I've just found out that Minecraft Download Cards exist (hey I'm a little slow to only now be figuring this out, but better late than never) that have a code which can be used to download the complete full PC or Mac game. :D

ANYWAY!!! I have just ordered one of these cards with the intent of giving the code as a prize...but the contest means, I'd like some advice on. I'd like it to be a "Why I Need Minecraft", but should it involve submission of a graphic, a short explanation, or should both sorts of entries be allowed? The entries will of course be subject a voting thread, and the winner will get the code.

Thoughts/opinions @Emily and the lovely Contest Team, and fellow Neocodex Minecraft players?

yKF9fXv.jpg

#2 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2014 - 09:58 PM

@Kord What were those old Neopets contests they used to do? "Random _____s"?

Don't think the writing contest we have going have been the most popular so perhaps go with a Random Contest with a Minecraft theme. Then have those who are interested do whatever from writing to drawing, cooking to... whatever. For "whatever" a 2-3 sentence explanation of what it is or why they want to win could also (optionally?) be included or just let their work speak for itself.

#3 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:13 PM

@Kord What were those old Neopets contests they used to do? "Random _____s"?

Don't think the writing contest we have going have been the most popular so perhaps go with a Random Contest with a Minecraft theme. Then have those who are interested do whatever from writing to drawing, cooking to... whatever. For "whatever" a 2-3 sentence explanation of what it is or why they want to win could also (optionally?) be included or just let their work speak for itself.

I think an "anything goes" type of entry might be a great idea...that way people could submit an entry in whatever format they feel most comfortable!

Actually @Nymh is part of the Contest Team *and*  a huge Minecraft player and fan...Oh great Nymh, may we summon you for your thoughts on this?

#4 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:16 PM

Weird, I didn't get a notification lol 

I think this is a cute idea! You can always do something with different types of entries since some people may not be good with graphics. 

#5 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:27 PM

Weird, I didn't get a notification lol 

I think this is a cute idea! You can always do something with different types of entries since some people may not be good with graphics. 

Sorry you didn't get the notification, but happy to see your feedback now! :D I agree, going with a variety of entries accepted as @DawnKnight suggested would allow the most coverage, I think. I'm excited to do this, as I know some folks have expressed interest in Minecraft but have been intimidated by the price of purchasing the game. if the first contest giving a code goes well, perhaps I'd consider doing one quarterly!

#6 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:29 PM

Definitely! It'd be interesting if we could do it with different games too.

#7 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:30 PM

Definitely! It'd be interesting if we could do it with different games too.

Most definitely, I do think things like this helping to boost playability/activity within the community would be awesome things to have going on. :)

#8 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:34 PM

@Kord If there's enough interest, I'd be up for sponsoring a future contest.

Would be great having more Codexians on the server. Totally happy to help. ^_^

Edited by DawnKnight, 10 December 2014 - 12:49 AM.

#9 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 December 2014 - 11:49 PM

@Kord If there's enough interest, I'd be happy to sponsor a future contest.

Would be great having more Codexians on the server. Totally happy to help. ^_^

Awesome, and thank you tons! Let's see how things go with this one and confer after.

#10 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:14 AM

This is an awesome idea @Kord! I think you're on the money in terms of leaving it an 'open ended' (or, Random) contest with a Minecraft theme. I for one want to see as many people get involved with Minecraft as we can muster! Hopefully this will increase interest in the game and our server too :D

If anyone has thought about purchasing the game or wanted to give it a go, ENTER THIS WOMAN'S CONTEST (when it becomes available) :p

#11 Chameleon

Chameleon
  • vampire or somesuch

• 627 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:16 AM

When I went to buy the game I had a horrible time buying it on site with my credit card and ended up buying one of those in total frustration.  Got the code in a matter of minutes.  I'd recommend anyone who doesn't win your contest, but wants to buy the game immediately get one of these suckers.

#12 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:49 AM

If anyone can't find the cards locally, I'd be down to pick them up at GameStop and email the codes for you.

Just cover the Paypal fee is all I ask. 

Edited by DawnKnight, 10 December 2014 - 12:51 AM.

#13 Chameleon

Chameleon
  • vampire or somesuch

• 627 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2014 - 12:59 AM

Oh yes, and on topic, I think you should definitely have a contest.   More players on the server would completely rock!

#14 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2014 - 01:27 AM

I'd be totally interested especially because I refuse to purchase the game even though I really want to play.

#15 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2014 - 06:53 AM

If anyone can't find the cards locally, I'd be down to pick them up at GameStop and email the codes for you.
Just cover the Paypal fee is all I ask.

If you do paypal gift, there isn't a fee usually.

#16 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2014 - 10:53 AM

I think an "anything goes" type of entry might be a great idea...that way people could submit an entry in whatever format they feel most comfortable!

Actually @Nymh is part of the Contest Team *and*  a huge Minecraft player and fan...Oh great Nymh, may we summon you for your thoughts on this?

*is summoned*

I think it would be hard for people who don't play Minecraft to create something Minecraft-related.  I do like your "Why I Need Minecraft" idea, because then the entries could be illustrations (in whatever format) of their answer to that question.  "I'm Bored"  "I'm Lonely"  "It looks really fricking fun" etc.

I also think that since the prize is worth $27, the entries should be judged with deep scrutiny.  I would encourage anyone who enters to take this seriously and try to produce something that really deserves winning it.  That's way more than the worth of the grand prizes of most any contest we run.

Is there anything that could be offered (or donated to be offered) as runner-up prizes?  I would like to think this contest would have several entries and it would be nice if it had more than one prize.

#17 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:39 PM

*is summoned*

I think it would be hard for people who don't play Minecraft to create something Minecraft-related.  I do like your "Why I Need Minecraft" idea, because then the entries could be illustrations (in whatever format) of their answer to that question.  "I'm Bored"  "I'm Lonely"  "It looks really fricking fun" etc.

I also think that since the prize is worth $27, the entries should be judged with deep scrutiny.  I would encourage anyone who enters to take this seriously and try to produce something that really deserves winning it.  That's way more than the worth of the grand prizes of most any contest we run.

Is there anything that could be offered (or donated to be offered) as runner-up prizes?  I would like to think this contest would have several entries and it would be nice if it had more than one prize.

Thanks for the input, I really appreciate it!  :wub:

I do think that going with a "Why I Need Minecraft" thing would be good, and yes perhaps the contest should be crafted such that someone can't just slap down a stick figure, enter it, and easily win the main prize. We can discuss specifics a bit more once I have the card and can formulate starting the contest.

More than one prize is ALWAYS welcomed, and whomever wants to donate to it can. :D

I'd be totally interested especially because I refuse to purchase the game even though I really want to play.

See?!? You're exactly the sort who SHOULD and WILL enter. :D

Oh yes, and on topic, I think you should definitely have a contest.   More players on the server would completely rock!

Oh hell yes, it would be fantastic to boost the active player population! I know there is quite a list of folks who have server access...but a large number simply never come around often at all.

#18 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:46 PM

Where can one buy these?

#19 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2014 - 03:53 PM

Where can one buy these?

I ordered one from Best Buy (mainly because I didn't want to deal with the horrendous holiday crowds), but I'm pretty sure there's a number of places you can buy them. :)

Incidentally, just got notification that I should be receiving it on Friday (ordered last night). ;)

#20 arcanum

arcanum
  • 1748 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:01 PM

Basically this. I don't completely refuse to purchase it, I just haven't been able to yet. xD I really wanna play though.

#21 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2014 - 04:05 PM

Basically this. I don't completely refuse to purchase it, I just haven't been able to yet. xD I really wanna play though.

I'm really glad to hear that darlin', and depending upon the popularity of the contest, it won't be a one-time thing...we can do it periodically. :D Also, as @Emily mentioned, it would be fantastic were we able to do this for several other games as well. It's such a hearty yet diverse gaming community here at Neocodex, and I imagine that there are games folks would love to play yet don't due to purchase prices to start up.

#22 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 December 2014 - 09:11 PM

Where can one buy these?

Through me.  :innocent:

Though I've seen them practically anywhere/everywhere gift cards of all types are sold:

7-11, CVS/Walgreens, Lowes (and I *think* Home Depot, but definitely Lowes), Dollar General, Walmart/Target, etc.

#23 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:44 AM

Well I've got the card in hand now and am planning to run the contest in early January. :) Looking forward to anyone interested participating and/or offering other prizes.

#24 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 12 December 2014 - 10:47 AM

Through me.  :innocent:

Lol.. yeah I meant a physical copy :p 

7-11, CVS/Walgreens, Lowes (and I *think* Home Depot, but definitely Lowes), Dollar General, Walmart/Target, etc.

Like these :D Thanks.

#25 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 December 2014 - 09:49 PM

Give me Minecraft or give me death.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: contest, question

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users