• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 December 2014 - 03:54 PM

Buried in your user CP, there is an option to get notifications when someone quotes a post of yours. This is extremely useful, especially in the context of questions being answered, a debate point being addressed, etc. I didn't find this useful feature until one day I was bored and was fiddling with my settings. This should in my humble opinion be set as default.

#2 Jess

Jess
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9,216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:02 PM

I think this is already part of the Getting Started to Codex guide, as far as 'finding it'.

#3 Kate

Kate
  • 🐟🐳

• 7,365 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:09 PM

I think making people look for it is a good way to acquaint them with that section of the site :) That's how people learn. 

#4 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6,350 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:13 PM

Being quoted doesn't necessarily mean people want your attention. For example: joking reasons (ie the infamous quoteception chain). Aint nobody wants 10 notifications for being apart of the quoteception chain. Another counterpoint is those quotations for references. People quote posts because they think the information helpful, but require no reaction or further input on the author's part.

I say leave it as an option for people to toggle it on if the individual wants it so because I don't see the benefit for the general member outweighing the amount of people opting out of this feature because of the extra sifting through notifications.

We also have @ ping and that is default.

#5 Jess

Jess
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9,216 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:17 PM

Being quoted doesn't necessarily mean people want your attention. For example: joking reasons (ie the infamous quoteception chain). Aint nobody wants 10 notifications for being apart of the quoteception chain. Another counterpoint is those quotations for references. People quote posts because they think the information helpful, but require no reaction or further input on the author's part.

I say leave it as an option for people to toggle it on if the individual wants it so because I don't see the benefit for the general member outweighing the amount of people opting out of this feature because of the extra sifting through notifications.

We also have @ ping and that is default.

I just like quoting cause it makes me look like I'm involved in the conversation and not just spouting shit.

#6 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,913 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:33 PM

I just like quoting cause it makes me look like I'm involved in the conversation and not just spouting shit.

quoted for truth

#7 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 December 2014 - 04:50 PM

This ^

Thanks for the helpfulness nitro!

#8 Wynd

Wynd
  • 390 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:32 PM

Wow, didn't even realize there was a notification checklist. I'm blind. Thanks for the information!

#9 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 633 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 December 2014 - 05:52 PM

Making this option more noticeable, sure. Making it default, no.

#10 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6,724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:18 AM

How do I turn on the option for it to notify me every time @Strategist takes a dump? It's really important.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users