• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

"'God is great,'" the Taliban militants exclaimed, as they roared through the hallways of a school in Peshawar, Pakistan.

Then, 14-year-old student Ahmed Faraz recalled, one of them changed the narrative.

" 'A lot of the children are under the benches,' " a Pakistani Taliban said, according to Ahmed. " 'Kill them.' "

By the time the hours-long siege at Army Public School and Degree College ended early Tuesday evening, at least 141 people -- 132 children plus nine school staff members -- were dead, military spokesman Gen. Asim Bajwa said. More than 100 were injured, many with gunshot wounds, according to Khyber Pakhtunkhwa province Information Minister Mushtaq Ghani.

(CNN)

Wow. This is the deadliest terrorist attack in Pakistan's history.

#2 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:17 PM

Imagine sending your kid to school and it being the last you ever see them alive. Killing children to punish their parents. Very sad and horrible.

#3 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:22 PM

That's how their culture has always been though.

#4 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:22 PM

That's how their culture has always been though.

...what are you trying to say?

#5 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 01:50 PM

That their culture hasn't changed much from 2000 years ago when people used to rape, plunder, and pillage. It's normal to them for these things to happen. Doesn't make then okay or the situation any better for them but it's normal. Their views on the importance on human life haven't evolved like some of the more developed countries. Break a law, get publicly stoned. They have been doing this long before humanity laws ever existed just in a different way.

#6 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:08 PM

And that's why we need -rep

#7 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:09 PM

That their culture hasn't changed much from 2000 years ago when people used to rape, plunder, and pillage. It's normal to them for these things to happen. Doesn't make then okay or the situation any better for them but it's normal. Their views on the importance on human life haven't evolved like some of the more developed countries. Break a law, get publicly stoned. They have been doing this long before humanity laws ever existed just in a different way.

Wow.

#8 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:11 PM

This is so sickening.

My heart is absolutely in shambles to even think of this. To line children up and shoot them one at a time. 

tumblr_ngocts8Sjf1rscmkso1_500.jpg

Obviously it isn't because they went to school but extremists target schools because education is a great combatant against extremist values and beliefs. UGH. This is so saddening. Exactly as Punk said... killing kids to punish their parents. It breaks my heart.

All I have to worry about with school is dollar cost and failing. How rattling. 

#9 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:38 PM

How do you think the families of these murdered children (who grew up in the same culture as the extremists) would feel if you told them they have unevolved views on the importance of human life?

Spoiler

#10 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:43 PM

I don't know why you guys are so shocked and offended. These are the same people, both radicals and people who suffered the loss of their children, who would take a teenage girl into the streets and stone her to death because she lost her virginity or she associates outside of their own religion. I'm not trying to say what happened to them wasn't terrible. Just stating how they view things. 

#11 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 02:52 PM

Those attackers are clones, not humans. Executing order 66 without questioning ...

#12 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:05 PM

Sorry that wasn't the point I was trying to convey. Of course not all Islamic countries are like that nor is Islam responsible for the types of actions that people commit.

#13 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:09 PM

Sorry that wasn't the point I was trying to convey. Of course not all Islamic countries are like that nor is Islam responsible for the types of actions that people commit.

#14 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:15 PM

This is so sickening.

My heart is absolutely in shambles to even think of this. To line children up and shoot them one at a time. 

tumblr_ngocts8Sjf1rscmkso1_500.jpg

Obviously it isn't because they went to school but extremists target schools because education is a great combatant against extremist values and beliefs. UGH. This is so saddening. Exactly as Punk said... killing kids to punish their parents. It breaks my heart.

All I have to worry about with school is dollar cost and failing. How rattling. 

Actually in this case I think they targeted this school because these were children of combatants in the NWFP

#15 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:47 PM

Countries like Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan, are worlds different than other neighboring Islamic countries. Islamic culture in those countries are different than other Islamic cultures elsewhere.

#16 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:51 PM

Actually in this case I think they targeted this school because these were children of combatants in the NWFP

This is true and I said that it is obvious it isn't because they went to school but it is also true that roughly 1000 school attacks have been made in Pakistan in the past 5 years. So while this isn't the main reasoning behind this attack it should be highlighted that schools in general are targeted by the Taliban. :( 

the taliban didn’t kill these kids in cold blood because they went to school. they did it because the army recently launched an operation in Waziristan which is a Taliban stronghold. the operation is called zarb-e-azb. the kids who died went to a school run by the pakistani army and the majority were likely the kids of army men.

So yes you are correct, I'm not saying it is just because they went to school but that schools are targeted in general on top of that. Sorry for the confusion. 

#17 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:53 PM

Countries like Pakistan, Iran, Afghanistan, are worlds different than other neighboring Islamic countries. Islamic culture in those countries are different than other Islamic cultures elsewhere.

Elaborate.

#18 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:57 PM

Afghan taliban has even condemned killing innocent children  :unsure:  

Edited by Padme, 16 December 2014 - 03:57 PM.

#19 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:59 PM

That doesn't mean innocent children don't die still through actions carried out by radical Muslim groups in afghan.

Elaborate.

It's obvious that countries like Turkey, Kuwait, and U.A.E. are on a whole other level in terms of social and economic standings. You also wouldn't get stoned by your own family members,outside of being officially sentenced by a judicial court, for marrying against your family's wishes in the Philippines or another equally developed country with large populations that practice Islam.

#20 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:20 PM

Not related to Pakistan in any way but this is an interesting read.

http://conservativet...nt-100-muslims/

#21 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:39 PM

From my understanding, with some of the extremists there is an eye for an eye mentality. From what I've read this was some sort of Army / military prep school, or something along those lines. This faction / section / group of radicals were exacting revenge from what they believe the parents have done, or have contributed to, by killing their children. 

Source : varying news over the web today. 

#22 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:46 AM

I think the part of your posts that people are taking offense to is when you implied that their entire society was ready to stone people to death. It's not accurate to paint their entire culture with the same brush stroke through the blood.

Pakistan is remote in places, particularly Waziristan and the autonomous tribal zones. But the country is not stuck in medieval times - even in Waziristan they have Kalashnikovs and cell phones. These terrorists are certainly aware of the outside world. They publish their fatwas on the internet. They send videotapes to Al Jazeerah. Even the people committing these crimes have changed with the times, let alone the general populace of Pakistan.

You have taken a very ethnocentric view of the world if you're trying to compare conservative, traditional nations like Afghanistan and Pakistan to "developed countries" in terms of their moral systems. Further, I would submit that there is no normal state of affairs for any person, people or nation. We do not exist in a state of nature. All humans have the capacity to learn, to change, to adapt. It is the task of the enlightened to lead others to the path, not to condemn them for not having started upon it.

#23 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2014 - 03:21 AM

I understand what you're saying but they do still hold medieval practices like honor killings. Their history is full of blood shed and that's the way it's been for thousands of years. I did not say their country's culture is incapable of evolving or changing just that it hasn't changed for thousands of years. Sure they may use bombs and AK-47s instead of swords and swords and slings but they're still doing the same thing. That's the only point I'm trying to make.

You say I'm taking an ethnocentric view and say "there is no normal state of affairs" but there is. It's not normal to blow up a school full of innocent children in any culture or country. "We do not exist in a state of nature" but the middle east is pretty close to it and has been in turmoil before "state of nature" was even a concept.

#24 Dazz

Dazz
  • Musicyclopedia

• 3242 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2014 - 06:12 AM

I did not say their country's culture is incapable of evolving or changing just that it hasn't changed for thousands of years. 

You've been watching too many movies man, the middle east isn't as bad as you think it is, it's just the danger zones like Helmand that you have to watch out for. It's the terrorists carrying out beheadings and stonings. The afghan people themselves are good people and their community is very strong for helping each other out, it's just the terrorists that are giving them a bad name, so to base the entire countries culture on some barbaric terrorists in a few isolated parts of the country is pretty shitty. There's supposedly an estimated 60,000 people in the Taliban in Afghan and Pakistan. There's around 30 million people living in Afghan, and 180 million in Pakistan. D'you understand the point i'm trying to make?

Do you still think all Afghan women have to wear burkhas and are uneducated? If so then you might wanna open your eyes a bit instead of just looking at the news reports about the Taliban.

"It's normal to them for these things to happen" - No it's not.

"Break a law, get publically stoned" - By the Taliban in Taliban controlled villages for breaking Taliban law.

#25 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:29 AM

Seriously? Have you been to any of those countries you mentioned and seen things first hand? Do I have to link the video of the Pakistani girl getting stoned by her own family?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users