#1 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:08 PM

YEAAAAAAAAAAHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.nytimes.c...risks.html?_r=0

How do you guys feel about this ban, and about fracking in general? Do you want your state to ban it? Or do you view it as a positive thing, bringing jobs to areas that need them? I'm so happy!!

#2 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:43 PM

Being in New York and spent a whole summer behind the cause, I say FUCK YEAH.

Personally I supported the ban because of health reasons. I know of at least 8 potential hydrofracking plans up in the Adirondacks/Mid-Hudson area. What people don't know is that major drinkable water supply comes from those reservoirs up in the mountains. The cost of medical aid/water purification is more than any resource that can be extracted. plus i think flammable water is a silly thing.

#3 Wander

Wander
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 01:44 PM

I don't know too much about it other than that it's frowned upon but they're trying to ban it here in California, at least in my area. Never really stayed up to date with it, glad to hear it happened in NY though! 

#4 jcrdude

jcrdude
  • Oh shit there's a thing here

• 7001 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:39 PM

I wrote a college paper on fracking, but this was back before they realized the side effects (earthquakes, water contamination, etc)... So I'm glad that they're doing R&D on energy production, but I could do without the flammable water and increased earthquakes.

#5 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:11 PM

I'm for it. Glad to see NY take the steps successfully to ban it.
Wish Oklahoma would jump on the ban wagon as well.

Probably end up a No Man's Land long before that happens though.

Failing Mary Fallin  :thumbdown:

Edited by DawnKnight, 17 December 2014 - 09:12 PM.

#6 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:27 PM

Frack yes!!!! That's fantastic ^_^

#7 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:29 PM

Frack yes!!!! That's fantastic ^_^

I still don't know what this is even though you tried to explain it to me on TC one night. So I will agree with your Frack yes!

#8 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 December 2014 - 04:44 PM

I still don't know what this is even though you tried to explain it to me on TC one night. So I will agree with your Frack yes!

Fracking->more oil->more oil tankers

#9 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:12 PM

And more $$$$$$ :cool: :cool: :cool:

#10 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:16 PM

All I read is oil and think oilers. Obviously associated with the Oilers means being a major fail ;P

#11 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 December 2014 - 05:57 PM

I'm for it. Glad to see NY take the steps successfully to ban it.
Wish Oklahoma would jump on the ban wagon as well.

Probably end up a No Man's Land long before that happens though.

Failing Mary Fallin  :thumbdown:

I agree with this. I've never felt an earthquake before until this year, and I lived in Oklahoma for a decade or something. It's ridiculous. And they scare me.

#12 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:18 PM

I don't know how I feel. I mean the situation is complex.

I don't think that there is anything intrinsically wrong with fracking. To be sure, in it's current implementation in the states we've got some things to work out in terms of the industrial effluent being discharged into our water table. But the technology, given time, could be made safe.

Let us not forget that the fracking boom is probably primarily responsible for the lowered gasoline prices here in the US, and the worldwide slump in oil prices (from 110$ a barrel down to 60$ a barrel). Those kinds of fluctuations in price make other extraction methods more or less viable. The Alberta tar sands, for instance, were only deemed economically viable when the price of oil stayed above, say, 100 bucks a barrel. It is particularly naive to assume our actions won't affect other oil producers. Just look at the ruble and their astonishing 17% central bank interest rate.

Personally I think we should institute a ban like we did with offshore drilling. Let the Super-majors exploit the rest of the world's resources while we save ours for a time of need.

We were really making progress in renewable energy before fracking came along. Now Toyota is stuck with it's foot in it's mouth over their fuel cell cars, and Nissan looks like a jackass for saying that every family would want a Leaf.

#13 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:44 PM

I agree with this. I've never felt an earthquake before until this year, and I lived in Oklahoma for a decade or something. It's ridiculous. And they scare me.

^^^
Never experienced or even heard of an earthquake in my province until recently when this happened in my Hometown:
http://news.national...o-one-know-why/

Still not sure an explanation was given, but suspicious that it started happening when they started drilling around here. 

#14 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 December 2014 - 10:58 PM

^^^
Never experienced or even heard of an earthquake in my province until recently when this happened in my Hometown:
http://news.national...o-one-know-why/

Still not sure an explanation was given, but suspicious that it started happening when they started drilling around here. 

I've never felt an earthquake :(

Was it terrifying?

#15 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 18 December 2014 - 11:25 PM

I've never felt an earthquake :(

Was it terrifying?

Not really, they were so frequent people got used to them. I felt one while I was visiting my Grandparents and it felt kind of like a giant slam like someone slammed a door really hard and the house just kinda went BOOM. It's so hard to explain lol. It wasn't terrifying, just confusing and weird.

#16 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:22 PM

Thanks to fracking, oil prices have tanked a bit recently ( from 100+/barrel to like 50/barrel).

I don't wanna pay $1.30/ liter for fuel but I don't want fracking in my backyard either.

Decisions, decisions...

#17 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:31 PM

Thanks to fracking, oil prices have tanked a bit recently ( from 100+/barrel to like 50/barrel).

I don't wanna pay $1.30/ liter for fuel but I don't want fracking in my backyard either.

Decisions, decisions...

Is that why? I feel like I heard on NPR it has to do with Russia...

#18 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 05:38 PM

Found reason.

At a meeting in Vienna on November 27th the Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries, which controls nearly 40% of the world market, failed to reach agreement on production curbs, sending the price tumbling. Also hard hit are oil-exporting countries such as Russia (where the rouble has hit record lows), Nigeria, Iran and Venezuela. Why is the price of oil falling?

#19 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:01 PM

Found reason.

Sorta.

OPEC doesn't include the United States, which leads to OPEC blaming non-OPEC producers for the recent dive in prices.

#20 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:05 PM

Sorta.

OPEC doesn't include the United States, which leads to OPEC blaming non-OPEC producers for the recent dive in prices.

I don't feel like subscribing right now.

#21 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:07 PM

I don't feel like subscribing right now.

LOL. It was the first article I viewed this month, so they didn't paywall block me.

Should have known...

#22 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:10 PM

LOL. It was the first article I viewed this month, so they didn't paywall block me.

Should have known...

Does this summarize what you're talking about? I'm trying to understand.

#23 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 December 2014 - 07:12 PM

Does this summarize what you're talking about? I'm trying to understand.

Yes. Essentially the same article.

#24 nox

nox
  • 6707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 January 2015 - 09:10 AM

Great news.  Hope to see states like PA and OH to follow.

Being in New York and spent a whole summer behind the cause, I say FUCK YEAH.

Personally I supported the ban because of health reasons. I know of at least 8 potential hydrofracking plans up in the Adirondacks/Mid-Hudson area. What people don't know is that major drinkable water supply comes from those reservoirs up in the mountains. The cost of medical aid/water purification is more than any resource that can be extracted. plus i think flammable water is a silly thing.

NYPIRG?

#25 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 January 2015 - 10:08 AM

NYPIRG?

Yes :p Interesting people, there are, in that organization.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users