• Please log in to reply
88 replies to this topic

#1 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

Okay, I had to post this because I thought it was absolutely ridiculous lmao.

Harold Hamm, the chief executive of the oil driller Continental Resources who is embroiled in a bitter divorce, offered to pay his former wife $974.8 million, but she rejected a handwritten check delivered to her legal team, his lawyer said Tuesday.

Hamm's offer to pay ex-wife Sue Ann Arnall immediately the full cash value of what he owes based on a November divorce ruling by an Oklahoma County judge was rejected, Hamm's lawyer, Michael Burrage, said in an emailed statement.

"Ms. Arnall, through her counsel, stated that they were rejecting the ... payment because Ms. Arnall did not want to risk the dismissal of her appeal by acceptance of the benefits," Burrage wrote.

----
Arnall, a former Continental executive who was married to Hamm for 26 years, contends that her award of about $1 billion in cash and assets was inadequate and allowed Hamm to keep the lion's share of a fortune her lawyers valued as high as $18 billion.

Basically, she rejected it because she wants more money. I wish I was handed a check for $974 million, jeez.

Here's a picture of the check that they have on the website:

Spoiler

Do you think this is as ridiculous as I do? Would you try to get more from your husband if he was worth this much? What would you do with that much money? 

#2 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

I think it's ridiculous. That's nearly a billion dollars, and you said NO? I don't think the "I take this money and my appeal gets thrown out" thing makes much sense. Why would your appeal be thrown out because you accepted some money? 

#3 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:53 PM

He's the one who earned the money. She's just being greedy. Should've taken that check - that's the most I hope she gets.

#4 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

I just noticed that at the bottom it says:

Arnall, a former Continental executive who was married to Hamm for 26 years, contends that her award of about $1 billion in cash and assets was inadequate and allowed Hamm to keep the lion's share of a fortune her lawyers valued as high as $18 billion.

Apparently 1 billion dollars isn't enough for her. 

#5 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 03:55 PM

Now I hope she doesn't get anything at all.

#6 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

Don't think it's really about the money, divorce is bitter (who knows why they divorced, he might have cheated), I'm sure she just wants to stick it to him. It's news because the amount is so large, but he was offering her 1/18th of his worth and she probably thinks she deserves a bigger share having been married for 26 years. 

#7 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:01 PM

If she's entitled to more, why not? He's worth 18 billion remember, maybe she put her own life on hold to have his kids BLAH blah blah...

Is it greedy to take half of your ex-husbands house and savings? When does it become greed and not necessity?

#8 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:04 PM

How do I find, marry, and piss off an oil tycoon?

#9 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:04 PM

If she's entitled to more, why not? He's worth 18 billion remember, maybe she put her own life on hold to have his kids BLAH blah blah...

Is it greedy to take half of your ex-husbands house and savings? When does it become greed and not necessity?

I see where you're coming from, but in what world is it necessary to have over a billion dollars to live comfortably? I know that she's legally entitled to the money, but what did she contribute to the earning of it?

#10 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:05 PM

Also, that is some feminine handwriting for a man.

#11 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:12 PM

If 1 billion dollars isn't enough for you to live comfortably, I think you may need a reality check. A large portion of the world (US) manages to live comfortably on far less than that. It's not necessity for you to "need" a Bentley. It isn't a necessity for you to have a house that costs over a million dollars. Basic human necessity are: Food, water, and shelter (You can add love if you want). You do not need every expensive thing in the world to fulfill those necessities. 

#12 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:13 PM

She can get as much as she's entitled. I just think that the act of rejecting a check worth that much is ridiculous. I'd probably melt with that much money in my hands. 

#13 Lucian

Lucian
  • 875 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:19 PM

How do I find, marry, and piss off an oil tycoon?

http://www.worthytos...-a-rich-husband

Edited by Lucian, 07 January 2015 - 07:37 PM.

#14 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:21 PM

Those 77 cents

#15 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

If 1 billion dollars isn't enough for you to live comfortably, I think you may need a reality check. A large portion of the world (US) manages to live comfortably on far less than that. It's not necessity for you to "need" a Bentley. It isn't a necessity for you to have a house that costs over a million dollars. Basic human necessity are: Food, water, and shelter (You can add love if you want). You do not need every expensive thing in the world to fulfill those necessities. 

Like I said, it's not about the money. I'm sure she already has enough saved to live as comfortably as she needs to. She doesn't need, and perhaps doesn't even want $1B. She just wants to make him pay for, who knows, years of unhappiness, lost youth, whatever. If you're married for 26 years and then get divorced some shit probably went down, and she feels like she needs to get him back.

#16 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

Says the person living more comfortably than the vast majority of the worlds population...

#17 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:39 PM

Like I said, it's not about the money. I'm sure she already has enough saved to live as comfortably as she needs to. She doesn't need, and perhaps doesn't even want $1B. She just wants to make him pay for, who knows, years of unhappiness, lost youth, whatever. If you're married for 26 years and then get divorced some shit probably went down, and she feels like she needs to get him back.

This makes a lot more sense than what I was thinking. Maybe he was a total hellion and made her life miserable while she was married to him. Either way, those kids are set for life.

Says the person living more comfortably than the vast majority of the worlds population...

Let's not pick fights, now. This isn't even in "General Debate".

#18 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:51 PM

http://www.worthytos...teresting read.

Page not found. Why do you tease me like this.

#19 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 04:55 PM

Let's not pick fights, now. This isn't even in "General Debate".

Just pointing out the hypocrisy.

#20 Pilot

Pilot
  • Bees?

• 1074 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

She take my moooney

#21 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:15 PM

He's the one who earned the money. She's just being greedy. Should've taken that check - that's the most I hope she gets.

For many legal purposes, marriages make two individuals into a single legal entity. He may have been the one going to work, but she filed joint taxes with him for 26 years. If they had never married she would never have had any tax liability, but she also wouldn't have standing in the divorce case.

Normally, I'd agree that a billion dollars is a lot to turn down, but as others have said, he's worth 18 times that. That's a pittance compared to his net worth.

Exactly. She was part of a marriage which gave her not insignificant responsibilities. I very seriously doubt he was worth 18bn at the time they married, which means that their combined net worth rose during the course of their marriage. It is certainly possible that her part in her marriage helped to increase that net worth.

Maybe she suggested good investment properties. Maybe she managed their personal finances. Maybe she was just really good at keeping him "relaxed" so he could do his job. Whatever the case actually is, it's undoubted that they were married, and that their net worth rose over the course of 26 years.

Also, that is some feminine handwriting for a man.

Everything but the signature was written by an assistant, obviously :p

You don't get to be worth 18 billion dollars without people helping you get things done.

#22 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 05:56 PM

Just pointing out the hypocrisy.

Um..I did specify the JUST the US, it was in the parentheses. I wasn't talking about the whole world in general. I was only specifying the people who live in the country where this woman does. The US has poor people too. 

I'll admit that I used the wrong term/wording in "large portion of the world". 

#23 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:12 PM

While I think it sounds ludicrous at first that she would reject this cheque there is a lot to take into consideration.

Why they settled on this amount?

Giving her more would potentially cause him to have to dissolve certain assets which could force him to lose majority in his business. (Haven't read about this case in months but that was the case at first.)

I fully agree that she should have rejected it. However, she is also the one to file for the divorce so that is something else to take into consideration in the matter.

In my eyes, once you are married whatever you once had is no longer 'yours' it is 'ours.' Therefore, I don't care if he had all 18 billion before they got married, if he didn't want to part with half his money he never should of married (he didn't have the 18 billion but he had quite a substantial amount.) 

I'll continue to avoid being with people of certain socioeconomic circumstances because I can't imagine being ripped apart like this woman is and the butt of jokes because she is fighting for what she deserves on principal. 

#24 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:19 PM

"Think of it this way, imagine that Mr. Hamm was worth $100,000 - which would mean that Ms. Arnall would receive a $5,500 payment while Mr. Hamm kept $94,500. Would that be fair? Maybe not ... maybe in that case, a court would have split the estate differently. If so, then I am not clear why the law should be inconsistent simply because we are adding a bunch of zeros to the numbers. 

I found a quote that may put it into perspective. 

#25 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 January 2015 - 07:19 PM

I don't have nearly this amount of money, but you bet your ass that my wife is signing a prenup before we get married...if I ever get married. There's so many scandalous people out there; trust no one. If she doesn't want to sign a prenup...welp CYA.

Let me put this into perspective for y'all -- I'm a not so theoretical military member married to theoretical wife, and we have 2 kids together.

Situation 1: I cheated on my wife, and was found out. First off my wife would divorce me as fast as she could so that she could take my whole GI Bill, and half of whatever I make for the next however long. Before I am court martialled, demoted to the base rank, and ultimately kicked out of the military (Rightfully deserved).

Situation 2: I've been nothing but the best husband I could possibly be, and have been faithful our whole marriage. She has a job, and makes enough money to support herself. She ends up cheating on me, and I file for divorce. She can still walk away with half of everything I own, and take my GI bill probably leaving me with nothing to my name, and struggling for the rest of my life while she can enjoy free schooling, and live like a queen.

Divorce laws are set to be in favor of women, and more often than not the man in the relationship will end up with less parental rights than the woman does. This is another reason why I'm so hesitant on even entertaining the idea of marriage when it comes that time. Where's feminism to fight for equal rights for both men and women?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users