Quantcast

Photo

[Guide] Minecraft Resources Installation (Texture Packs, Mods, Shaders)

minecraft

43 replies to this topic

#1 MC10

MC10
  • 353 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:33 PM

[Guide] Minecraft Resources Installation (Texture Packs, Mods, Shaders)

Introduction

Here is a quick guide to show you how to install texture packs and shaders in Minecraft. I know there are probably countless threads and videos on other forums, especially the Minecraft forums, but this is just a quick and simple version for us Codexians. I was motivated to make this by this thread/post and I hope it helps!

I am adding images and will make a video soon.

Things covered in this guide:

• Texture Packs
  • Mods: OptiFine and Shaders Mod
  • Shader Packs

WARNING: The current version of Minecraft as of posting this is 1.8.1. This guide will be using resources that are for 1.8 and 1.8.1 so not everything will be compatible with clients or servers that are newer.

Some things made for 1.8.x will be compatible for other updates within the major update of 1.8.x.

~~~~~~~~~~

Links

Flow's HD 128x Texture Pack: http://www.flowshd.com/vanilla.html

OptiFine: https://optifine.net/downloads or http://www.minecraft...-textures-aa-af

Shaders Mod: http://www.minecraft...ted-by-karyonix

Sonic Ether's Unbelievable Shaders (SEUS): http://www.minecraft...e-shaders-v10-1

~~~~~~~~~~

Texture Packs

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~

Mods

For different mods, the instructions will be different. These instructions are mainly for installing OptiFine and Shaders Mod to increase performance and be able to use shaders.

I recommend that you refer to each mod's own forum thread on the Minecraft forums for more detailed instructions on how to install and use them.

Notice: These will create new profiles in the launcher and you need to use the profiles with ones you want installed.

OptiFine

Spoiler

Shaders Mod

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~

Shaders (Packs)

Spoiler

~~~~~~~~~~

Let me know if you have any comments or questions! If there is something you would like added or feel is important, feel free to suggest.

Edited by MC10, 18 January 2015 - 02:30 PM.

#2 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 12:40 PM

Does this mean you're playing with us @MC10 ?

:D

#3 MC10

MC10
  • 353 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:06 PM

Does this mean you're playing with us @MC10 ?

:D

Maybe haha, we'll see :p.

#4 Chameleon

Chameleon
  • vampire or somesuch

• 627 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:49 PM

I haven't even read it and you rock.  Thank you thank you thank you.  May have questions in a few minutes.  But still.  Thank you for doing this!

Hmmm.  I followed your exact instructions for the Flows (except I opted for 64 instead of 128) and it's in with the others I frequently use, but when I open Minecraft, it doesn't show.

#5 MC10

MC10
  • 353 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 01:58 PM

Hmmm.  I followed your exact instructions for the Flows (except I opted for 64 instead of 128) and it's in with the others I frequently use, but when I open Minecraft, it doesn't show.

Which OS do you have and version of Minecraft you are using? So you put the zip in the resourcepacks folder but it's not showing up while others do?

Judging from the file name, 1.7.10_flows_hd_64x.zip, it looks like it's for Minecraft 1.7.10. I'm not sure if it works with other versions.

#6 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:09 PM

Which OS do you have and version of Minecraft you are using? So you put the zip in the resourcepacks folder but it's not showing up while others do?

Judging from the file name, 1.7.10_flows_hd_64x.zip, it looks like it's for Minecraft 1.7.10. I'm not sure if it works with other versions.

Awesome guide! :D Yep might want to specifically indicate anything that is specifically for any version prior to 1.8.1, as the Neocodex server that many of us participate on only functions for folks using the newest version anyway.

#7 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:14 PM

Weird, the version of Flow's HD that I used is compatible with the server...

Oh never mind, I just realised Heather was trying to use the 64x pack. I used 128x.

#8 MC10

MC10
  • 353 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:16 PM

Awesome guide! :D Yep might want to specifically indicate anything that is specifically for any version prior to 1.8.1, as the Neocodex server that many of us participate on only functions for folks using the newest version anyway.

Yeah I noted some parts in the guide while making it. I'll definitely go back and detail it some more though.

Yeah Flow 128x, which you use I believe, is 1.8 so it should be compatible with updates 1.8.x but the 64x version which Chameleon used is 1.7.10 so it may not be compatible. I'm not completely sure on that though.

@Chameleon, try the 128x pack and if that works then it's just that the 64x version doesn't work with 1.8 yet.

Edited by MC10, 09 January 2015 - 03:33 PM.

#9 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 03:16 PM

Well then I'm guessing that Minecraft version doesn't have anything with being able to use it...hmmm I wonder what is going on with @Chameleon's attempt to use it then? I haven't messed with it but may later to see if I have issues with it or not.

#10 Chameleon

Chameleon
  • vampire or somesuch

• 627 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:14 PM

@MC10  Yeah, 128 shows up.  

#11 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:16 PM

@MC10  Yeah, 128 shows up.  

COOL! I'll have to check that out later too. :)

#12 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:33 PM

COOL! I'll have to check that out later too. :)

I found it is a hell of a lot less laggy on the server for me using it. I think Chroma Hills is just that detailed that it saps a lot of memory. Reckon I'll switch back to it at some point, but I'm loving the 'modern' look.

#13 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 04:36 PM

I found it is a hell of a lot less laggy on the server for me using it. I think Chroma Hills is just that detailed that it saps a lot of memory. Reckon I'll switch back to it at some point, but I'm loving the 'modern' look.

I definitely want to give it a try then, anything that helps reduce lag is definitely worth a shot. :D

#14 MC10

MC10
  • 353 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

Maybe we could add a list of popular texture packs and shaders or just ones that you guys like and use.

#15 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:13 PM

Maybe we could add a list of popular texture packs and shaders or just ones that you guys like and use.

However you'd prefer to do it! :) I actually have a habit of testing out various packs off and on...it's just kind of fun to do.

#16 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:37 PM

Even with this guide I can't get shaders to work :/

#17 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

I have no idea why it does what it does for you man (if it still is doing what it did before?)

#18 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:40 PM

I'm not even going to mess with shaders (it slows things down for me anyway), so we can be shadeless together.  :lol2:

#19 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:41 PM

I have no idea why it does what it does for you man (if it still is doing what it did before?)

Now it just crashes altogether. :/

Oh wellz.

#20 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:42 PM

Oh wellz.

Welp, that sucks.....

#21 MC10

MC10
  • 353 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 05:53 PM

Oh wellz.

Maybe the computer can't run them or there are mod incompatibilities. Do you have any other mods installed and which method did you use?

#22 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 06:59 PM

@MC10 my system runs half as hot now using Flow versus Chroma Hills...totally awesome!

#23 MC10

MC10
  • 353 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 07:54 PM

@MC10 my system runs half as hot now using Flow versus Chroma Hills...totally awesome!

Flow was Strat's recommended texture pack from the other thread. That's good though! I'm not using any atm since my laptop can't handle it. I really need to get back to my desktop haha. I like Ovo's Rustic or John Smith's Legacy.

#24 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:00 PM

Flow was Strat's recommended texture pack from the other thread. That's good though! I'm not using any atm since my laptop can't handle it. I really need to get back to my desktop haha. I like Ovo's Rustic or John Smith's Legacy.

Ovo's Rustic is very nice, I keep that one around, but Chroma Hills is my VERY fave.

#25 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 January 2015 - 08:35 PM

Maybe the computer can't run them or there are mod incompatibilities. Do you have any other mods installed and which method did you use?

Non-Forge and no other mods installed :/

Edit: I've run other mods before but this one always fails for me.

Reply to this topic

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: minecraft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users