Quantcast

Photo

Neocodex Gaming Month - Minecraft Building Contest!

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
40 replies to this topic

#1 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:44 AM

7VcL0Kz.png

It's that time guys! Minecraft Contest time, that is!

For the Neocodex Gaming Month, we have set aside a week to host a couple of various contests on our very own Minecraft server.

Our plan is as follows:

The Official Neocodex Minecraft Building Contest

Start time: Monday 12th January, 2015 @ time TBA

This will run for approximately 2 hours and we will be running with 2 sessions over the course of 24 hours (to better accommodate for those in different timezones).

I have sent a group PM to those who expressed interest and we can discuss times there and organise groups.

Basics of the contest:

You will be given a 2 hour time limit and a set plot of land (18x18) to build on (within a set area).

You will each be given a choice of no more than 8 different materials. You will get a maximum of 2 stacks (2 x 64 items) of each to build with. Choose wisely!

You may build whatever you feel like, however, you may NOT exceed the boundaries of your plot at any time. Stay within the 18x18 plot please.

You will NOT be able to dig down below the plot, but, you can go as high as you like (within reason of course).

Anyone breaking the rules will be immediately DQ'ed from the contest and given no award.

-Awards-

Winners of either of the Minecraft contests will receive:

LKyL3kT.gif

Participants will each receive:

117-AwardImgMaster-1421123879.jpg

Participants for the building contest:

1. @Kord

2. @DawnKnight

3. @Swarley

4. @Chameleon

5. @Romy

6. @Strategist

If I missed your name and you wanted to be added, please let me know ;)

I will be looking to record the contest as well to include some highlights in a future video presentation, if you have any objections, please do let me know.

Stay tuned for the announcements of the other two contests later in the week :)

#2 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 02:57 AM

I'll participate if you are :p

#3 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 03:23 AM

Might as well xD That way we will only really need one round I think. Just need to pick a time for everyone to be online at the same time. Only thing is, I cannot record and participate at the same time :(

#4 Chameleon

Chameleon
  • vampire or somesuch

• 627 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:22 AM

Just lemme know when and I'll be there

#5 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:16 AM

Is it gonna be random or themed?

#6 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 07:57 AM

I'll participate as long as I'm able to play at the time its run. 

I'm +10 GMT and live in Dalby in QLD, Aus. Depending on the week, i'll be working anywhere from 1 pm till midnight, if its run on a saturday that I work I'll be working 12:30pm - 7 pm

So hopefully if its being run within times I can actually play, I'll join in :D (dun even know how to connect to servers so will need help xD)

#7 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 08:23 AM

I'll participate as long as I'm able to play at the time its run. 
I'm +10 GMT and live in Dalby in QLD, Aus. Depending on the week, i'll be working anywhere from 1 pm till midnight, if its run on a saturday that I work I'll be working 12:30pm - 7 pm
So hopefully if its being run within times I can actually play, I'll join in :D (dun even know how to connect to servers so will need help xD)

You had to sign up before :/ I'm afraid you can't join anymore. (or he can @Strategist ?)

#8 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 11 January 2015 - 09:11 AM

Love the thread graphics ^_^ 

#9 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 10:52 AM

7VcL0Kz.png

It's that time guys! Minecraft Contest time, that is!

For the Neocodex Gaming Month, we have set aside a week to host a couple of various contests on our very own Minecraft server.

Our plan is as follows:

The Official Neocodex Minecraft Building Contest

Start time: Monday 12th January, 2015 @ time TBA

This will run for approximately 2 hours and we will be running with 2 sessions over the course of 24 hours (to better accommodate for those in different timezones).

I have sent a group PM to those who expressed interest and we can discuss times there and organise groups.

Basics of the contest:

You will be given a 2 hour time limit and a set plot of land (18x18) to build on (within a set area).

You will each be given a choice of no more than 8 different materials. You will get a maximum of 2 stacks (2 x 64 items) of each to build with. Choose wisely!

You may build whatever you feel like, however, you may NOT exceed the boundaries of your plot at any time. Stay within the 18x18 plot please.

You will NOT be able to dig down below the plot, but, you can go as high as you like (within reason of course).

Anyone breaking the rules will be immediately DQ'ed from the contest and given no award.

Participants for the building contest:

1. @Kord

2. @DawnKnight

3. @Swarley

4. @Chameleon

If I missed your name and you wanted to be added, please let me know ;) (@Romy were you participating in this one?)

I will be looking to record the contest as well to include some highlights in a future video presentation, if you have any objections, please do let me know.

Stay tuned for the announcements of the other two contests later in the week :)

Strat, are there more specifics to the materials/rules, such as some materials can be used to craft or create others...is this allowed, or must basic materials to be directly used in the build be selected? An additional question is whether building will be in creative mode or not (so that we can take into account whether we will be able to fly to do this, or will need to select dirt or something to build scaffolds to assist us in reaching heights to build.

A final question (And sorry for having so many) is whether we will be provided tools (you know, to knock down blocks that we may erroneously place while building), or whether tools count among materials selected.

(THANKS!) ;)

#10 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 01:04 PM

Might as well xD That way we will only really need one round I think. Just need to pick a time for everyone to be online at the same time. Only thing is, I cannot record and participate at the same time :(

Oh darn.

It's just that we aren't doing the Labyrinth :(

#11 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:00 PM

Oh darn.

It's just that we aren't doing the Labyrinth :(

Well really @Romy and @Strategist, the Labyrinth will be more exciting to watch live-action recordings of anyway...can't you both participate in the building contest, and just take still shots as it progresses? The still shots could be incorporated into a slideshow-type section of a video about the entire Minecraft series of gaming events. :)

#12 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:35 PM

Well really @Romy and @Strategist, the Labyrinth will be more exciting to watch live-action recordings of anyway...can't you both participate in the building contest, and just take still shots as it progresses? The still shots could be incorporated into a slideshow-type section of a video about the entire Minecraft series of gaming events. :)

I like it xD Good compromise I think @Kord!

#13 MC10

MC10
  • 353 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:37 PM

Sounds cool, I can't wait to see your creations.

#14 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:42 PM

Strat, are there more specifics to the materials/rules, such as some materials can be used to craft or create others...is this allowed, or must basic materials to be directly used in the build be selected? An additional question is whether building will be in creative mode or not (so that we can take into account whether we will be able to fly to do this, or will need to select dirt or something to build scaffolds to assist us in reaching heights to build.

A final question (And sorry for having so many) is whether we will be provided tools (you know, to knock down blocks that we may erroneously place while building), or whether tools count among materials selected.

(THANKS!) ;)

The only problem I can see with people having creative mode, is (not saying that you would) cheating. We have no way otherwise to tell how much resources people have on them if we cannot control this to make it fair, you know? So I think we will just have to give people unlimited dirt (cannot be used for part of the building, scaffolding only) and use survival mode only. You will be given unlimited food to cover this aspect of it as well.

As for materials that can be used to craft others, I don't see a problem with that, you will just have to pick wisely AND manage your resources well, because once you're out of said material, no more will be given :)

You will be provided with any tools you need for your build (pick axes, axe etc) and you will need to specify this at the start before we proceed.

So, on that note, can I get all participants to give me (or Romy) a list of what you will require so we can organise it ahead of time, thanks!

Sounds cool, I can't wait to see your creations.

Will you be joining in the building contest mate?

#15 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:46 PM

I like it xD Good compromise I think @Kord!

Awesome, I like it too because I want you two building, damn it!!! :D It's going to be majorly fun.

The only problem I can see with people having creative mode, is (not saying that you would) cheating. We have no way otherwise to tell how much resources people have on them if we cannot control this to make it fair, you know? So I think we will just have to give people unlimited dirt (cannot be used for part of the building, scaffolding only) and use survival mode only. You will be given unlimited food to cover this aspect of it as well.

As for materials that can be used to craft others, I don't see a problem with that, you will just have to pick wisely AND manage your resources well, because once you're out of said material, no more will be given :)

You will be provided with any tools you need for your build (pick axes, axe etc) and you will need to specify this at the start before we proceed.

So, on that note, can I get all participants to give me (or Romy) a list of what you will require so we can organise it ahead of time, thanks!

Okay this sounds good, and thank you for requesting in advance what we'll need! I'm over goofing off in Minecraft right now for awhile and actually am trying to think of what materials to request.

Should we post our requests here in the thread, or in a PM to you and Romy?

#16 MC10

MC10
  • 353 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:50 PM

I'm not sure if I can. I think I'll just wait for the PvP ones.

#17 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

I'm not sure if I can. I think I'll just wait for the PvP ones.

Ok mate, sorry it's not suitable for you though :( The PvP ones we will have several rounds of I assume, so you will more than likely be able to participate in those for sure!

Kord, just PM me or Romy your list of materials ;)

#18 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:52 PM

#19 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:54 PM

Oh sorry mate lol skipped past that one, random, you can build whatever you like (within reason please). For example, no crude pixel art etc lol

#20 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 04:56 PM

Kord, just PM me or Romy your list of materials ;)

Thanks, I'll do so in a lil' bit...not TOTALLY sure on a couple of materials and am still thinking. ;)

#21 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:01 PM

Oh sorry mate lol skipped past that one, random, you can build whatever you like (within reason please). For example, no crude pixel art etc lol

It's okay :p

Wouldn't that allow the participants to build before and then just build it again on the competition place? Or is that okay?

#22 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:04 PM

Thanks, I'll do so in a lil' bit...not TOTALLY sure on a couple of materials and am still thinking. ;)

Take your time and don't rush it, you have right up until the contest starts ;)

It's okay :p

Wouldn't that allow the participants to build before and then just build it again on the competition place? Or is that okay?

Hmmm good point, but I don't really have a set theme in mind, so this time around, it will stay as random. I would appreciate it if people were honest enough to try and come up with a design on the spot rather than pre-build elsewhere though :(

#23 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:46 PM

Hmmm good point, but I don't really have a set theme in mind, so this time around, it will stay as random. I would appreciate it if people were honest enough to try and come up with a design on the spot rather than pre-build elsewhere though :(

Oh trust me, my mind is blank, and I'll just be coming up with something on the spot. You KNOW my style...it's pretty much nonexistent...and then I plant a goddamn tree on top of it LOL (nah, I won't incorporate a tree this time). My debate is over what materials i "must have".

Yet another random question, @Strategist and @Romy: what resource pack will you be using to view/judge the entries?

#24 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 05:55 PM

I think, to make it fair, we should probably just use default/vanilla? Thoughts?

#25 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 January 2015 - 06:00 PM

I think, to make it fair, we should probably just use default/vanilla? Thoughts?

That sounds fine to me and in fact is the most fair as you indicate. I'm just trying to think about materials, as my choice will be influenced a little bit by view.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users