Quantcast

Photo

Is there a robust and well developed alternative to Neopets?

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 leptooners

leptooners
  • 143 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:06 AM

I'm a developer. I dabble in all sorts of languages but I work primarily in C# and VB.NET. So when I look at Neopets, I see nothing short of a technological marvel. My question is, is there another web-based pet game similar to Neopets? Through Google, I've only been able to partially answer that question, there may be a robust but vastly under marketed game that I just haven't been able to find in the first few pages of Google for popular keywords. MaraPets and Subeta are simplistic in comparison to Neopets. They haven't been given as much attention to detail and flow as Neopets has. The flow of Neopets is unmatched as far as I can tell.

So, does this Neopets equivalent exist or am I going to have to build her? I've been looking for a new project to sink my teeth into and a Neopets-like browser-based game might be interesting.

Edited by leptooners, 25 January 2015 - 11:10 AM.

#2 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:16 AM

I don't know if Flight Rising would be considered similar. 

Here's some similarities i can think of:

1. FR Coliseum (sort of like Neo BD)

2. Take care of Dragons (sort of like neopets, but you can have up to 99 of them)

3. forums
4. Scheduled Events (flight festivals), (sort of like the annual neo events like AC, not in what they are, but that both sites have scheduled events)

5. AH (FR's is more like a user shop that's on a time limit though)

6. Dress up Dragons (like neopets) 

8. FR Familiars (sort of like petpets)

9. Transferring dragons to other players (like transferring with the neopets pound)

I think that's all I can think of right now. They're not very large similarities though. 

#3 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:20 AM

I'm afraid not. The best you could find it FR, like @Satsuki said.

#4 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

If you are into the restocking aspect of the game, I would say you should play a game like Diablo 3. You find items that are good there, and they can be worth a lot.

I'm sure if there are only specific parts you like, you can find many different games that match what you are looking for. But for all around experience, with Trophies, Pets, Styling of pets, vast items, games, events, shop/trade/auction, forums, it's going to be very hard.

Edited by Megazord, 25 January 2015 - 11:24 AM.

#5 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:25 AM

I guess Subeta? It seems like the most popular besides Neopets but i know nothing about it. Also, their illustrations are quite nice http://www.neocolour...aallcolours.php.

Edit:

I made an account, the site looks like a Wikia.

Edited by Honchkrow, 25 January 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#6 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:36 AM

I support the idea of a new Neopets.

#7 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:42 AM

I support the idea of a new Neopets.

I bet the Neocodex crew could make something good.

#8 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 12:10 PM

Pet design contest!

#9 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 02:28 PM

I'd love to be a part of a new Neopets. I really enjoy playing Neo and I may have mentioned it before, it's the ONLY game I play where I'm happy to sit there for hours doing stuff which is rare for me.

Whatever happened to Adam & Donna's Neopets 2.0?

#10 Hopeless

Hopeless
  • 184 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:17 PM

@MillionsOfPeaches - I know they were working on something called Moglings for a while, which was supposed to be their "Neopets 2.0". It was going to have minigames, achievements, an economy, all the "good" things from Neopets, etc. About 4 months ago Adam updated his followers with the news that they just can't keep up with the project (what with the new kids and life and everything) and would "revisit things in the future, perhaps early 2016". 

Here's a quote from Adam about it:

"Hi there. Unfortunately due to some personal (and financial) issues, we can't really continue with Moglings right now and have decided to take a break.

I know a lot of you have been helping out, testing the minigames and creating levels - we appreciate all the help you've given. Donna and myself basically can't cope with looking after our children and trying to start a business, so we've decided to revisit things in the future, perhaps early 2016.

Sorry to have to do this. It's really not working out for us and I hate to make promises that we can't keep. I will check this from time to time and hopefully have some more announcements to make in the future.

Nothing's really changed - we will want to make the same game, all the same virtual pets, minigames, microgames etc. It's just more than we can handle right now."

(source)

#11 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:19 PM

i think most, if not all, of the new pet sites like subeta, marapets and flight rising originated from ex-neopets player. yet, neopets still has more users than any of them. hah!

#12 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 09:28 PM

I think this has been attempted, but has failed. Running a pet site is much harder than it seems, especially if you're doing a knockoff of another game.

@Yung lmao

#13 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 10:24 PM

Goatlings.com

Try it. I promise you will not regret it. It has goats. That is all.

#14 Unmata

Unmata
  • 714 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:23 PM

^ I can't believe I'm saying this but Goatlings was too hard :C

#15 Starving

Starving
  • 35 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:29 PM

I'd love to be a part of a new Neopets. I really enjoy playing Neo and I may have mentioned it before, it's the ONLY game I play where I'm happy to sit there for hours doing stuff which is rare for me.

Whatever happened to Adam & Donna's Neopets 2.0?

Adam & Donna said they put moglings on hold to focus on their family.

#16 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:36 PM

Goatlings.com

Try it. I promise you will not regret it. It has goats. That is all.

Haha goatlings. I just cannot take this seriously. Not that...Neo is serious either but it's just...they're goats?  :funone:

Thanks for the info on Adam & Donna's new projects!

#17 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:43 PM

Haha goatlings. I just cannot take this seriously. Not that...Neo is serious either but it's just...they're goats?  :funone:

Thanks for the info on Adam & Donna's new projects!

Live. Love. Goats.

@rwmurrayVT and I love it. hahaha

#18 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 January 2015 - 11:44 PM

I'm starting to consider it because Neo has crapped out way too often.

#19 leptooners

leptooners
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:20 AM

I'd love to try to make a complete, well rounded web-based pet game in a style similar to Neopets. I imagine that the development of the foundation for such a website would be relatively straightforward. But I'm not an artist or graphics designer, and I'm not made of money so it would definitely be a community project.

First, let's talk about layout, flow and maneuverability.

My idea is to design the website inside of a Web 2.0 hub with AJAX that can be used to navigate the entire website from a central location.

• The hub can be thought of as a page that loads only once, a frame that surrounds the game content. The hub frame includes your account information (pet status, friends, currency, etc).
  • The user can access every area of the website with ease by utilizing a series of categorical drop down menus within the hub, or through a contextual search feature(?).
  • When the user clicks a link to navigate to another page, the page is loaded in the frame in the middle of the hub.
  • The use of a central hub for the game will reduce load times and server stress. AJAX optimization will further reduce server stress and latency.

Now, what about features.

Neopets is a feature-rich website, I'm not going to try to convince you that it would be easy to duplicate (and perhaps improve upon) everything Neopets has to offer. It would in fact take years and be a huge, complex task. But it's not impossible.

To begin with feature development, we need to focus on core functionality.

• Triple currency system - Free, Premium and Promotional currencies. They need to be easy to understand and relate to.
  • Pet ownership - Nothing special, just simple pets for now.
  • Inventory system - Baseline (your main inventory), bank deposit box and the ability to add additional inventory systems.

These three features are required for the foundation of the website. Additional features can only be added when these three features have been developed, so it's best to avoid speculation of additional features for now.

There's a few other issues that need to be addressed but this is a good start.

Edited by leptooners, 26 January 2015 - 12:24 AM.

#20 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:34 AM

I'm not a programmer nor an artist, in fact I'm the most useless person who could assist BUT I'd be happy to learn something new and/or test things out.

It would be insane if the cheating community created a rival pet site haha. The question is...would we cheat at our own game??  :p

#21 leptooners

leptooners
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:45 AM

I'm not a programmer nor an artist, in fact I'm the most useless person who could assist BUT I'd be happy to learn something new and/or test things out.

It would be insane if the cheating community created a rival pet site haha. The question is...would we cheat at our own game??  :p

That's a very valid question and certainly one that needs to be answered before the website can be taken seriously. However, my brain hurts. :p

Maybe we could implement some sort of automation functionality so users don't feel the need to cheat.

#22 Peaches

Peaches
  • 497 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:59 AM

We have evil minds here. Nothing will stop us.

#23 leptooners

leptooners
  • 143 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:09 AM

We have evil minds here. Nothing will stop us.

From cheating?

How about just letting people cheat? Aside from hacking and account phishing, it seems like "cheating" can be just as competitive as playing normally. We could even provide downloads for "cheating" programs and provide an automation API for developers, and host a community website where developers can upload their own programs. I put "cheating" in quotes because if everyone is cheating, no one is cheating. ;)

Edited by leptooners, 26 January 2015 - 01:16 AM.

#24 Starving

Starving
  • 35 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:17 AM

Why not just allow automation?

If the idea gets big im sure the community here would gladly chip in along with others who are fans of the site. It also doesnt have to something spectacular either. I mean look at neopets when it first launched. 

#25 Dan

Dan
  • Resident Know-It-All

• 6381 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2015 - 01:33 AM

Technological marvel?

Is that a joke?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users