• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:09 AM

I've been hearing a  lot lately about how weird my sleep schedule is, so I wanted to know about all of y'all's.

In the winter (now, in merica,) I go to bed around 10-11pm, wake up at 4am, stay up until 6 or so, then wake up for the day at 8am.

In the summer, I take a late afternoon nap, wake up to make dinner and eat and get the kids to bed, then go back to bed and wake up for the day around 4 am.

THEN I found this article, that suggests that sleeping the way I do didn't become unpopular until the 1800s.

Ekirch found that references to the first and second sleep started to disappear during the late 17th Century. This started among the urban upper classes in northern Europe and over the course of the next 200 years filtered down to the rest of Western society.

It does say you need a lot of darkness to successfully pull it off, which I have in the winter, and most people who did this only did it in the winter. I attribute my summer bi-modal sleep pattern to the effect heat has on my body and that we do way more physical activity during the summer. I'm just exhausted before bed gets here.

Anyway, how do you sleep? How many hours? One big one? Naps?

#2 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 04:36 AM

My sleep schedule was sometimes messed up during my university days but mostly because of staying up too late. But I can't skip sleep entirely for a day, then I feel so miserable. The latest I went to bed was 11am in the morning and then get up at 6pm. That felt so weird because when I got up it was dark outside (I don't like getting up when it's dark). I occasionally take naps but I have to set an alarm otherwise I'll sleep for too long (2h+) and that feels awful as well.

Right now because of work I go to bed at midnight and get up at 7:30 on weekdays. For some reason I can't manage to go to bed earlier. On weekends I might go to bed an hour later and don't set alarms so I can get up at anything between 8am and 11am. Sleeping in is so good. =w=

#3 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:26 AM

Sleep for 3 hours after I get home from work *usually 11am - 2pm*, and theN 9pm - 1:30am when my alarm goes off. maximum fuckery

#4 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:41 AM

Weeknights I go to bed anywhere between 8:00p and 11:00p, depending on how tired I am.  I wake up at 5:00a during the week, and about 7:00a on weekends.

If I'm exceptionally exhausted I'll lie down right after I get home from work around 5:30p, wake up just long enough to eat dinner and then go back to bed.  On the weekends I take naps if I can during the day, especially if we've gone anywhere outside the house because I tend to get really tired when we do that.

Man I sound like a pathetic loser

#5 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 06:06 AM

I go to bed by 11 PM and wake up at 6 AM. 

On the weekends I tend to go to bed by 2 AM and normally wake up by 8 AM.

#6 masxed

masxed
  • 712 posts

Users Awards

This is Neocodex so I doubt any of us have "regular" sleep schedules!  :lol2:  I have two versions of my sleep schedule depending on whether or not I have access to medical herb. On a regular night I fall asleep at about 5am, then I wake up at about 12am. On an herb night I usually fall asleep around 7-8pm and wake up between 7-8am. I always want to dream for as long as possible since I have lucid flying dreams every-night.

#7 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

I sleep anywhere and everywhere but never enough. I'm trying to amend it but oh well :|

I'm a lot better than I was in high school, that's for darn sure. I wouldn't sleep for days on end. In a week I would get less than 2 full nights sleep ~_~'.

I once read a weird online article by a guy who said he survived on several 30min naps a day and trained his body to almost instantly go into REM sleep. This only worked if he took his naps almost exactly when scheduled.... I found this likely to be a load of shit but really interesting.

Sleep studies are hella cool! There was a guy on reddit the other day who did an AMA after he partook in one and got paid 9k for a month of sleeping 6 hr and being awake 12 hr. Rinse and repeat. 

#8 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:17 AM

If I work in the morning I'll (try to) go to bed around 10-ish and have my alarm go off at 5 AM. Of course I stay up way later than I should and get no sleep. This usually means napping all afternoon.

On my days off or if I work afternoons I'll set my alarm for 8:30-9 and snooze a bit after my alarm goes off.

This sure beats my old schedule which included waking up at 2PM regularly.

#9 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 07:38 AM

I go to "bed" at around 9pm and fall asleep anywhere between 9:30-10:00pm on weeknights, and then I wake up from 6am-7am depending on how many times I hit snooze.

Weekends I stay up until midnight or so, and sleep in until about 9-10am.

#10 w0nderwall

w0nderwall
  • 568 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:16 AM

My sleeping habits fluctuate greatly.  Ideally I like waking up between 3 and 4 PM and sleeping around 7 AM. But lately I've been sleeping around 6 PM and waking up around 3 AM. ~_~

#11 Irradium

Irradium
  • Pyro (699) Maniac

• 892 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:22 AM

I don't care to have one.

#12 Gnome

Gnome
  • Alpha As Fuck

• 1054 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:02 AM

I have trained myself to function from my old world of warcraft days. I live out in the country so I wake up at 7:30A to go to work but I go to sleep at 3-4 AM every day. It's very rare for me to break my 4 hours of sleep a night schedule. I've been doing it for about 7 years now.  I don't understand how people can sleep in until 12 PM or after unless you're sick.

#13 bbdoll

bbdoll
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 11:41 AM

On weekdays I typically go to bed at around 11 and wake up at 5 to feed the cats before going back to sleep for another hour and a half.

On weekends, I don't know the meaning of sleep.

#14 Eggie

Eggie
  • 317 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

I go to bed around 9:30 - 10pm and wake up around 5:30 - 6am. Sometimes earlier, sometimes later but I usually don't go to bed past 11 (unless insomnia) or wake up later than 7:30.
I used to do the 2 sleeps thing for a while...I'd be ravenous in the morning and extremely tired after I ate.

#15 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:37 PM

My body pretty much sleeps for exactly 8 hours.

I usually go to bed around 2-3 am and wake up around 10-11am.  If I have something to do in the morning, then I go to bed at 12 am and wake up around 8am

#16 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

All you early risers! 

I go to sleep about 10:30pm and wake up between 6-8am. *depends on baby

#17 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:58 PM

Left to my own devices I will time and time again sleep from about 4/5am to around midday. Sadly this doesn't really fit with a normal functioning life. I try quite hard to do 11.30pm - 8am so I can cope with work.

I'm a monster on any less than 7 hours of sleep and I'm hugely restless when I sleep alone.

#18 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 03:12 PM

It doesn't matter what time i sleep, i wake up at 1 if i don't have to wake up any earlier.

#19 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 January 2015 - 08:32 PM

my sleeping time ranges from 9-11pm. but ill always wake up at 5am because i need to do my morning prayer.

#20 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2015 - 12:24 AM

I've got mild insomnia and I've always been able to get by on little sleep. When I was younger I'd go to bed at about 10pm to 1am, get up and play computer games with my brothers until the morning cartoons started. Now though, working 12 hour day and night shifts and with the fact that I don't sleep well during the day, I get about an average of 4 hours sleep. On my days off, I get into bed at about 12am, sleep till about 7, but I wake up so many times it's like I've not slept much at all.

#21 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2015 - 02:52 PM

During the week I usually get to sleep between 11pm and midnight and get up around 5am so I tend to get about 5-6 hours a day. I'm trying to be better at getting a decent amount of sleep recently though since it's not particularly good to get so little sleep... I'm completely terrible when I've got a few days off work and/or during the summer though when I have a tendency to end up staying awake until dawn. :/

#22 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:06 PM

My sleeping habits pretty much depend on whoever I'm talking to or what my schoolwork is like at the time. Also, my stress level is a pretty good indicator of how hard it'll be to fall asleep. Lately, I go to bed around 1am and wake up about 12pm. I definitely sleep longer than most people, and that's concerning because I want to be as productive as possible, so I'm starting a new medication soon that will hopefully give me more energy throughout the day so I can wake up early-ish and go to bed at a good time.

#23 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:43 PM

I'm completely terrible when I've got a few days off work and/or during the summer though when I have a tendency to end up staying awake until dawn. :/

Especially bad when we end up chattering in the middle of the night. That destroyed my sleep pattern for weeks on end in the early summer last year.

#24 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 January 2015 - 03:48 PM

Especially bad when we end up chattering in the middle of the night. That destroyed my sleep pattern for weeks on end in the early summer last year.

Pfft, wasn't me, it was already like that when I got there. :rolleyes: Name one other person mad and/or nice enough to keep you company until dawn when you can't sleep. :p

#25 BEDDOEDv

BEDDOEDv
  • 287 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 February 2015 - 04:50 AM

dont have a pattern at all really. i will sleep when my body tells me too!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: merica, sleep, food?, habits

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users