Quantcast

Photo

I have a 'cheaters' question about the internet...

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2015 - 08:17 PM

Background-

My family is using a hotspot that has been allocated for our household to use. I think there are 3 or so houses/apartments using the same internet. It is not public, we had to buy our own router to transmit the signal through our house so we could use it wirelessly. 

Question-

Do any of y'all know if there is a way to see how each of the other apartments are using their internet? My intention is not to snoop/spy as much as it is to gather data and locate our 'data users'. I am interested in things like video streaming and program downloads. I hope that makes sense!

I noticed that when my youtube video's were running slow that it would take me to a link that would display how my area receives internet connection and which video quality would be best suited for me to watch without interruption. I thought, huh, internet usage that is broader than my own household (although it is probably very general to the local area or to users using our internet provider), perhaps i can find a way to see a similar stat on a smaller populations (ie, my own shared internet)

Reason-

Our internet is forever fluctuating in speed. Some days it is performing well, other days it is barely moving. Lately we have noticed a general decline in the Internets overall performance, so i just kinda wanted to know if there was anything specific i could pin it to, beyond my own computer.

I hope that all makes sense, and that someone of you has a really cool suggestion or thing i could try. My internet navigating skills are somewhat limited. 

Thanks in advance :)

#2 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:04 PM

Hotspot as in phone, or just a wireless router with cable?

#3 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 February 2015 - 10:58 PM

No sorry, I guess I used the wrong term. I mean wireless router with cable not 'hotspot'. Sorry!

#4 Josh

Josh
  • 318 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:10 PM

You're most likely be throttled, however it's possible the apartment is saturating the allotted bandwidth.

If the copper wire is coming from the wall and plugged into your own router, you're not going to be able to track anything beyond your own usage (at least not without a ton of effort and some illegal stuff). 

You can bypass throttling by encrypting your connection. Easiest way to do that is using a VPN.

#5 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:20 PM

Thanks all. I know what the problem was. It shouldn't be repeating itself :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users