• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 ortin

ortin
  • I'm so l33k

• 5,915 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2015 - 06:52 PM

If there was no intrinsic value of human life or any life for that matter, would it not be amoral if someone decides to kill you? After all, the action is inevitably meaningless, no value has been lost.

#52 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12,070 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2015 - 07:06 PM

If there was no intrinsic value of human life or any life for that matter, would it not be amoral if someone decides to kill you? After all, the action is inevitably meaningless, no value has been lost.

No. This is not a logical conclusion.

Basic syllogisms should take this form:
A = B
B = C
Therfore, A = C

If we fill in the blanks, your argument looks like this:
Value of life = 0
0 = killing
Therefore, killing = value of life.

Its a non sequitur.

Morality is not dependent on any value to life. You can have moral systems that don't value life per se, but value right action, i.e. buddhism. It is wrong to take the life of another not because of the consequence, but because of the act itself. Killing is bad for the killer as well as the victim, whether you believe in karma or not.

#53 pancakeface

pancakeface
  • 768 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 May 2015 - 08:17 PM

No. This is not a logical conclusion.

Basic syllogisms should take this form:
A = B
B = C
Therfore, A = C

If we fill in the blanks, your argument looks like this:
Value of life = 0
0 = killing
Therefore, killing = value of life.

Its a non sequitur.

Morality is not dependent on any value to life. You can have moral systems that don't value life per se, but value right action, i.e. buddhism. It is wrong to take the life of another not because of the consequence, but because of the act itself. Killing is bad for the killer as well as the victim, whether you believe in karma or not.

ffd1590405768ddc554f749f665db494.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users