• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 juvian

juvian
  • 123 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 February 2015 - 04:10 PM

POPULAR POST!

With tens of thousands of items on Neopets, I'm sure many of you have at times spotted items and caught yourself wondering

if they were absolute junk or a real treasure: If you are one of those people, this extension is for you!

This Chrome extension adds a coloured border around the item image of every item,

based on the price it retrieves from my (ssw-based) item price database.

The ssw prices were retrieved approx. two months ago, so while this may not be ideal as a restocking supplement,

it does help you quickly identify junk from value, especially for items older than half a year.

Optionally, if enough people are interested and the NeoCodex staff approves of the script,

we could look into hooking up this script to the NeoCodex price database.

The price legend is as follows (and if an item is buyable, the price will be shown on hover):

Green >> item worth 1np-50000np

Yellow >> item worth 50000np-90000np

Red >> item worth 90000np-99999np

Black >> UB item

Purple >> item not in my database (NC or new item)

The extension currently works in the Trading Post, Auctions, Inventory, Safety Deposit Box, User Shops, NPC Shops and in Galleries.

Here are some screenshots of the extension in use:

dZhSx.jpgEhxDd.jpg

(click the images to see their enlarged versions)

To install the extension, you have to do the following:

1) Go to http://chrome://extensions/

2) Select the 'Developer Mode' checkbox

3) Unzip attached file

4) Select 'Load unpacked extension'

5) Browse folder you have just extracted and select

6) Done! Go to neo and enjoy

Please note: I made this extension for personal use, but after chatting about it with friends realised it may be of use to other players,

so I decided to share it. Feedback/comments are therefore highly appreciated!

Attached Files

#2 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:44 PM

Well done.

#3 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:56 PM

Looks nice! Might have to use it

#4 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

Very cool script! I look forward to trying it out :)

#5 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:33 PM

Very nicely done.
Thank you!

893applaud-thumb.gif

#6 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:36 PM

Wonderful job! This will be a great help to those who are a bit afraid of using Abrosia, but still want an easy way to restock! Now they'll know what to buy, instead of wasting NP! :) 

#7 Helix

Helix
  • 229 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:18 PM

Ooh! I like this! Thank you very much! :D

#8 Checklist

Checklist
  • 41 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:56 PM

Interesting! I love the idea even though major deflation has happened since then. Otherwise, pretty cool!

It might make me try restocking "myself" if it gets linked with a database. 

Edited by Checklist, 28 February 2015 - 08:57 PM.

#9 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:05 PM

This is cool. is there any kind of risk for using it?

#10 Nicita

Nicita
  • 32 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 12:58 AM

I've known this person for -years- & have always loved working with them :) Did quite a few projects, loved watching them grow & develop more coding skills :D Super cool extension, definitely going to use it <3

It highly reminds me of the time when custom stylesheets were a thing, I used to restock with those -- that also put a border around profitable items, but had a high upkeep (i.e. keeping the restock lists up to date). With a database attached to it, it'd definitely ease the process a ton! Not sure how hooking it up to the neocodex db would work, but who knows 8D;;

I'll let them explain how it works~ Just poked them their extension was posted, apparently they hadn't received a notification it'd been checked :p

Edited by Nicita, 01 March 2015 - 12:59 AM.

#11 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:02 AM

Very useful, thank you! :)

#12 juvian

juvian
  • 123 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:36 AM

Thanks for the quick input guys! And thanks Nicita for pointing out that my post was accepted, didn't realize xD.

Can't guarantee this has 0 risk but as far as I know neo is not checking to see if their images have other colors in border, and have been using myself for a few weeks already.

Interesting! I love the idea even though major deflation has happened since then. Otherwise, pretty cool!

It might make me try restocking "myself" if it gets linked with a database. 

Would love the idea of integrating with codex db, not sure if there is an api though? Offline use makes it really fast, but would need to update prices to keep it up to date. At least most ubs stay ub ;)

Its a quite simple process really: look up the images/names of the item, search the db file for their prices, and change image border colors according to that. Hard part was building up the db and checking which items had duplicate images

Feel free to say which pages this could be useful as well. Covered tp, shops and main pages but might have missed some.

Known bug: piece of laboratory map #1 is listed as buyable but is ub, mistyped in my db

#13 Eefi

Eefi
  • 1337 h4x0r

• 1626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:53 AM

Can't guarantee this has 0 risk but as far as I know neo is not checking to see if their images have other colors in border, and have been using myself for a few weeks already.

Since this is a browser extension this script is purely running on your machine and they can't check whether you've altered just some styling of the page. But if you're too fast buying manually you can still be flagged.

#14 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:03 AM

Since this is a browser extension this script is purely running on your machine and they can't check whether you've altered just some styling of the page. But if you're too fast buying manually you can still be flagged.

Thanks! :)

#15 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:04 AM

Thanks for the quick input guys! And thanks Nicita for pointing out that my post was accepted, didn't realize xD.

Would love the idea of integrating with codex db, not sure if there is an api though? Offline use makes it really fast, but would need to update prices to keep it up to date. At least most ubs stay ub ;)

Its a quite simple process really: look up the images/names of the item, search the db file for their prices, and change image border colors according to that. Hard part was building up the db and checking which items had duplicate images

Feel free to say which pages this could be useful as well. Covered tp, shops and main pages but might have missed some.

Known bug: piece of laboratory map #1 is listed as buyable but is ub, mistyped in my db

Contact @Pyro699 to chat about api access ;)

#16 Oktober

Oktober
  • Team ASS

• 318 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:14 AM

Thanks you so much, this is pretty awesome!

#17 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 03:40 AM

I went through the js - it looks fine to me.

#18 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 09:28 AM

Amazing job!

#19 Unmata

Unmata
  • 714 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 11:23 AM

This is awesome! Thank you!

#20 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:12 PM

@juvian Whenever I click your link it takes me to a broken page? Am I doing something wrong?

#21 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:19 PM

Try this link, without the "http". You'll have to copy and paste though.

chrome://extensions/

#22 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 01:50 PM

Try this link, without the "http". You'll have to copy and paste though.

chrome://extensions/

Aha! Thank you :)

Hmm. I don't know if this is of any concern, but I got this while browsing my SDB shortly after enabling this extension. I already had this avvie:

Something Has Happened! sdb.gif You are now eligible to use 'SDB Pack Rat' as an avatar on the NeoBoards!

Edited by CaptainDantes, 01 March 2015 - 02:00 PM.

#23 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 02:12 PM

I think I heard something about a glitch awarding avatars you already have, and awarding avatars like the Krobat one that you don't have. You know the one where it's specific to your gender. Apparently the glitch lets you get both. 

#24 juvian

juvian
  • 123 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 04:42 PM

Aha! Thank you :)

Hmm. I don't know if this is of any concern, but I got this while browsing my SDB shortly after enabling this extension. I already had this avvie:

Something Has Happened! sdb.gif You are now eligible to use 'SDB Pack Rat' as an avatar on the NeoBoards!

Have gotten the avvie as well even on ff without extension, its a neo glitch ;). Several friends reported the same, has been going on for a few weeks already, no worries!

#25 Branlaur

Branlaur
  • 907 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 March 2015 - 07:08 PM

Very good idea. It'd help people learn new shops and help beginner restockers (for those who are legit) I'd use it, but instead I just adblock to block the junk items by going through the database (that way I can update it if something becomes junk, but isn't updated on the DB yet) or something that ends up being less profit than the DB states + rep

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: neopetsitems, chrome, extension, price

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users