51 replies to this topic

#1 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:30 AM

The message (translated) I get when my language is set in Dutch (Netherlands): 

"From Feb 2015, this language version is not going to be supported anymore. The good news is that the site and your favorite activities wil be still available. We're going to release more news in the coming weeks.
If you still wish to follow the latest activities of the site and you can read other languages, the Neopets site will still be available in the following languages: English, French, Deutsch, Portugese and Spanish. To view this site in one of those languages, use the "select language" menu that you can find on the bottom of every page."  

I don't know if it's only these two languages, maybe they'll stop supporting French, German and others too in the future. :/

Now Neopets will lose even more users, yay.

Edited by iKate, 01 March 2015 - 01:07 AM.

#2 Ka1

Ka1
  • 955 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:42 AM

I tried changing to Chinese but i got this message

tnt will no longer translate italino(?) Japanese, Korean, Dutch and both simplified and traditional Chinese.

that is a few caption contest and neopian times entry less to try for the avatars

#3 ausername

ausername
  • 119 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:40 AM

This makes me wonder what exactly is going on behind the scenes.

I wish they would give us an update.

#4 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:58 AM

This makes me wonder what exactly is going on behind the scenes.

I wish they would give us an update.

Maybe they don't want to fund someone to cover the translation of everything in NP?

#5 Oktober

Oktober
  • Team ASS

• 318 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 05:14 AM

I remember at the end of 2008, when they stopped supporting the Italian version of the site, I was in tears :( little me didn't understand English back then

Then I seem to remember an independent community has been created and a lot of the Italian users migrated there even if it wasn't allowed by neo... but yeah, the boards where what we missed the most.

The TNT has probably having financial problems or maybe Jumpstart decided to cut the budged.... i don't know. Anyway, I'm pretty sure in the end all but the English version of the site won't be updated anymore.

#6 Branlaur

Branlaur
  • 907 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:16 AM

They haven't really been updating a lot of languages for a long time. Sad that they're not even updating some of the more popular languages.

#7 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:33 AM

I remember at the end of 2008, when they stopped supporting the Italian version of the site, I was in tears :( little me didn't understand English back then

Oh I remember that too, Italians invaded PT forums, it was CRAZY. There were petitions all over the internet because of that. People swearing to invade TNT HQ with letters from players all over the world. God, I miss those times when sadness and despair ruled Neopia for weeks.

I can only talk by the PT version of the site, but those translations were the worst. I always thought they just put everything in google translate and hope for the best.

I remember one particular translation in the Coltzan Shrine that the original sentence is something like "I'm glad they brought the crown back" and in portuguese it was translated like "I'm glad they brought the old guy back" (Estou feliz por terem trazido O coroa de volta" ("o coroa" instead of "a coroa"). A simple letter turned that shrine a joke for years in the PT boards.

Not to mention the name of several wearables, using the word "vagabundo" (wanderer) that also means "slut" instead of using one innocuous word with the same meaning as "errante".

#8 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:38 AM

Oh I remember that too, Italians invaded PT forums, it was CRAZY. There were petitions all over the internet because of that. People swearing to invade TNT HQ with letters from players all over the world. God, I miss those times when sadness and despair ruled Neopia for weeks.

I can only talk by the PT version of the site, but those translations were the worst. I always thought they just put everything in google translate and hope for the best.

I remember one particular translation in the Coltzan Shrine that the original sentence is something like "I'm glad they brought the crown back" and in portuguese it was translated like "I'm glad they brought the old guy back" (Estou feliz por terem trazido O coroa de volta" ("o coroa" instead of "a coroa"). A simple letter turned that shrine a joke for years in the PT boards.

Not to mention the name of several wearables, using the word "vagabundo" (wanderer) that also means "slut" instead of using one innocuous word with the same meaning as "errante".

The vagabundo might be because in Brazilian Portuguese no one uses vagabundo as slut. Only vagabunda, very sexist, I know :p

#9 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:47 AM

The vagabundo might be because in Brazilian Portuguese no one uses vagabundo as slut. Only vagabunda, very sexist, I know :p

Now you got me thinking... I'm not sure if the wearables names are (or were) in fem. or male lol I stopped using the PT version long time ago.

Either way, they could avoid a lot of jokes if they changed it to another word.

But they never cared much about anything anyway unless is too cover their asses. After all we're talking about the same people that decided to ban chats from forums when a gossip about a PT forum monitor being involved with a player. Did you use the forums back then? I'm trying to find portuguese folks but it's hard to find someone from that specific time. :/

#10 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 08:50 AM

Now you got me thinking... I'm not sure if the wearables names are (or were) in fem. or male lol I stopped using the PT version long time ago.

Either way, they could avoid a lot of jokes if they changed it to another word.

But they never cared much about anything anyway unless is too cover their asses. After all we're talking about the same people that decided to ban chats from forums when a gossip about a PT forum monitor being involved with a player. Did you use the forums back then? I'm trying to find portuguese folks but it's hard to find someone from that specific time. :/

Yeah, they should try to avoid it no matter how. Lots of kids playing, it could be dangerous hahah

I didn't know about that :o I've never really used the neoboards, but when I used them, it was in English. I've always felt the PT boards too full of annoying kids lol

#11 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:21 AM

"vagamundo" means slut in portuguese?  :o In Spanish vagamundo means "homeless".

#12 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:53 AM

Bunch of racist shit heads, I'm offended.

#13 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 09:58 AM

"vagamundo" means slut in portuguese?  :o In Spanish vagamundo means "homeless".

Well, vagabunda is used for slut, while vagabundo is used for those who do nothing the whole day, something along those lines. Homeless works too.

#14 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 10:13 AM

Means wanderer more than homeless :p

#15 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 11:02 AM

How the hell am I going to get my pet to eat foods it doesn't want to eat now?!

#16 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:05 PM

How the hell am I going to get my pet to eat foods it doesn't want to eat now?!

I guess that will still work and this only means that the site in those languages will not be updated anymore?

Yeah, they should try to avoid it no matter how. Lots of kids playing, it could be dangerous hahah

I didn't know about that :o I've never really used the neoboards, but when I used them, it was in English. I've always felt the PT boards too full of annoying kids lol

Ahaha we had our share of scandals back then.

And yeah you're right, our boards used to be full of assholes. The HC alone was like "omg wtf is this I see noobs everywhere" but it was so funny, it was very active as well and had a lot of awesome folks unlike the AC that always was and still is a bunch of suckers and cheaters "I'm soooo legit I wish all cheaters could just die - lemme just turn on my AB and I'll pick up a torch to hunt down those bastards". So funny. :p

#17 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:14 PM

Great now the crafting faerie trick is gone. 

#18 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:53 PM

Great now the crafting faerie trick is gone. 

I believe it will work like the thing with the foods when a pet doesn't want to it. All the "old things" will remain the same, only won't be updated anymore with the new stuff.

At least, it makes perfect sense for me. :/

#19 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 12:54 PM

Mmmnn, with unsupported languages on Neopets, it just means that the language's boards won't be accessible anymore, news won't be updated and any new pages/anything related to items/etc released after the date they stopped supporting it will be in English/have WIP descriptions :0 Maybe there's more but I can't remember lol. You should still be able to do any tricks that involved switching the language ^^

So pages will be a little bit like this:

Spoiler

Dang though, to think that they stopped supporting Italian/Korean/Japanese seven years ago!! That's crazy!! How has it been so long lmao

#20 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:01 PM

It seems like neo is now only supporting languages from North/South America and Europe, unless the Netherlands is considered part of Europe, then it seems like they're only supporting large European countries. 

Looks like they think a whole continent (Asia) doesn't matter. 

#21 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:16 PM

It seems like neo is now only supporting languages from North/South America and Europe, unless the Netherlands is considered part of Europe, then it seems like they're only supporting large European countries. 

The Netherlands is next to Germany so yup, it's European!! Don't forget Italy ^^ I'm waiting for them to drop German and Portuguese support, they're gonna at least keep Spanish and French support because of Mexico and Canada hahah

#22 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 01:24 PM

Maybe there is not enough asians players, idk.

#23 GekkeSteph

GekkeSteph
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 February 2015 - 02:28 PM

I'm a big fan of sending in my dutch poetry and dutch captions... 

But without a warning it's all gone!!! I had a lot of poems ready for the year... but it was all for nothing...

Yes I can try to translate all my poems but that takes a way the clue and let me sound as "Van Gaal" and "Koeman".

If you don't know them... There dutch and coaching English Football Clubs. 

https://www.youtube....h?v=FyI5psoB4rQ

So I bet, that was it for my creativity on Neopets... Writing was my thing!...

Can't they make a poetry and caption contest part for different languages.

Or give more power to the players from those country's for picking poems, something like that...

Bet that a lot of players who are playing neopets for a while now that they would love to help out and make neopets better!

And that they are from all over the world. But it seems they don't want any help but let the site die down slowly!

caption_1393.jpg

[caption contest 1393]

Yes, I do think this was a clue of neopets of letting us know that the site is coming to an end!

Edited by GekkeSteph, 28 February 2015 - 02:33 PM.

#24 Pef

Pef
  • 189 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 03:57 PM

I really think Jumpstart planned all this.

They don't want neo, they just wanted their servers and stuff.. I expect more changes to be come.

#25 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 February 2015 - 04:01 PM

I really think Jumpstart planned all this.

They don't want neo, they just wanted their servers and stuff.. I expect more changes to be come.

Would they take the site offline forever and use the servers for something else? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users