• Please log in to reply
101 replies to this topic

#1 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:31 PM

• You can't live without your hair products?
  • You gave up using store bought shampoo and started making your own or simply don't use any and now you can't stand the smell of fake fragrances?
  • How do you care for your hair/beard/"other sensitive hairy areas"?

I stopped using store products when I was about 16 or 17. My naturally curled hair was so bad back then that I needed to use a shampoo for oily hair in the scalp, another one for dry hair on the tips, two different conditioners, hair gel, serum, oil drops.... I was spending more in hair products than in food.

I decided to use the old method our mums used to use: natural soap bar and vinegar.

Well, it didn't worked, probably something to do with the chemicals already in water system that don't go well with soap (it's not the same as the water my mum used to have taken directly for natural wells and rivers lol).

Then I decided to go for "natural" shampoos. After some uses I noticed they did exact the same as the normal ones, so I decided to investigate those so called "natural" products, just to find out most of them were not natural at all, jut had different names for chemicals, which is a lot worse than admitting it.

After 2/3 years of experimenting with different homemade recipes I decided to gave up on all those things.

Now I don't use shampoo or any other store products.

I make a castor + olive oil one night per week and use egg whites in the shower to remove the oils in the next morning.

I almost gave up of brushing my hair as well, I prefer use my fingers mostly because since my hair is more manageable and soft I don't need the help of comb/brush. I only use a natural bristle brush 2-3 times a week to help activate hair growth and distribute the natural oils trough all length of the hair.

The most notorious improvements this change has brought me:

- hair growth - before my hair used to take more than a year to grow 20-30cm (sorry, I can't be bothered searching for a metric converter, go learn how to measure things properly, please D: ), now I can achieved it within 5-6 months

- hair softness/shine

- I found out that my hair is actually NOT greasy and dry in the ends

- no split ends

- no itchy psoriasis (thank god)

- no bad/fake smells

- I can use a flat iron once in a while without the fear of getting dry hair

- no money spent on products and hairdresser (I cut my own hair)

- I started donating my hair to Oncologist institutes to make natural hair wigs

My husband is in the transition phase and starting to like the simple side of this natural life. He's stubborn but I'll bend him to my will.

My kids never used shampoo and they never had lice (even tho I admit it's probably just luck).

P.S.: I was almost sure we have/had a similar topic but I didn't find it.

#2 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:54 PM

I've always been using store products. My hair is pretty low maintenance. All I do is shampoo and condition it. Sometimes I don't even use conditioner and it still looks awesome. That, however, may partially due to the herbal essences hair strength shampoo I switched to recently. My hair has never been this full or this shiny. It's also gotten rid of those days when my hair would look like I hadn't washed it for days, when in truth, I washed it just the night before. (I shower before bed). 

My hair is straight, but when it gets too long, it starts waving at the ends. 

#3 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

I haven't used store bought shampoo/conditioner in years. I use sulfate free stuff that is from a beauty supply place. I can't remember the name.

I also wash my hair maybe every 3 days or so (I shower daily most of the time, I'm not gross).

I brush my hair with my fingers after I get out of the shower and then If I'm going to style it I'll use a regular brush. Most of the time it ends up in a messy bun on top of my head because idgaf about what it looks like.

#4 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 02:57 PM

It seems natural hair care is trending. Im glad to hear it works so well for you!

I personally LOVE smells. I don't have a 'good' hair care routine in that i spend very few dollars on deliciously smelling shampoo that isn't necessarily good for my hair. My hair is pretty long and somewhat oily, but nothing excessive. I am honestly surprised that it isn't more damaged than it is. I don't straighten or curl it (because i don't have the tools) and i sometimes use a sea salt spray to give it some waves. My hair gets some color in it twice a year (along with a cut). Generally speaking, i like my hair.  @Satsuki herbal essence for the win! #MyCurrentLove

My personal recommendation for a hair brush- THE WET BRUSH! http://www.thewetbrush.com/

#5 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:11 PM

About the damage or the lack of it: shampoos create a coat in our hair that make it good looking. It's like covering pimples with makeup. the problem is still there, we're only covering instead of treating. That's why when people stop using shampoo they notice how bad their hair is, the first couple of months can be rough for some people that use tons of products.

Those brushes look nice, I wonder if they are as soft as they look.

I would like to know the materials in it, and site doesn't seem to specify that. :/

I use a boar bristle brush. And even thought I feel a bit uncomfortable for the "boar" part and not knowing how they actually made it, I'll continue to use until I find one as good as this one.

#6 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

Head and Shoulders all day, erry day.

#7 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:37 PM

I have to shave my face every freaking day per AFI 36-2903. Sad sad sad

#8 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:48 PM

I use what ever shampoo is available. And I only dry with a towel. My hair is really straight, so after a few minutes, it's on its place :p

#9 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:49 PM

I'm bald and have no facial hair so I save a lot of money 

#10 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:55 PM

My husband share the pain of having to shave everyday due to work regulations.

And me too, I love his beard.

So, only the portuguese men use conditioners/creams/gels/etc?

Yeah... right.

I'm bald and have no facial hair so I save a lot of money 

Sometimes I think about shaving my hair, but then I wonder if, in the middle of the night, my husband will grab my head thinking it's my butt.

I use what ever shampoo is available. And I only dry with a towel. My hair is really straight, so after a few minutes, it's on its place :p

And beard?

I'm very interested in BEARDS.

#11 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:56 PM

Sometimes I think about shaving my hair, but then I wonder if, in the middle of the night, my husband will grab my head thinking it's my butt.

lmao

#12 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

And beard?
I'm very interested in BEARDS.

I can't help you with that. It's not something I have lol

#13 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:06 PM

I can't help you with that. It's not something I have lol

If my husband ears you...

Do you feel blessed? Do you think god loves you more?

I used to have a hair in the middle of my chin. I hated men (without beard) back then.

Hair eventually fell. I still hate men.

Wait.

Are you a girl?

#14 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:18 PM

If my husband ears you...

Do you feel blessed? Do you think god loves you more?

I used to have a hair in the middle of my chin. I hated men (without beard) back then.

Hair eventually fell. I still hate men.

Wait.

Are you a girl?

Lol I just haven't received the blessing of being able to grow a beard :p

#15 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 04:48 PM

About the damage or the lack of it: shampoos create a coat in our hair that make it good looking. It's like covering pimples with makeup. the problem is still there, we're only covering instead of treating. That's why when people stop using shampoo they notice how bad their hair is, the first couple of months can be rough for some people that use tons of products.

Those brushes look nice, I wonder if they are as soft as they look.

I would like to know the materials in it, and site doesn't seem to specify that. :/

I use a boar bristle brush. And even thought I feel a bit uncomfortable for the "boar" part and not knowing how they actually made it, I'll continue to use until I find one as good as this one.

I use the brush, it is SO soft. I am used to pulling my hair until it bleeds, but i barely feel a thing with this brush. They are really flexible. I thought it wouldn't work very well because of how flexible the bristle were, but it does a great job. perfect for young girls with hyper sensitive heads and lots of tangles lol.

I couldn't let my hair go unwashed, it would look SUPER oily.... how do you counter the oil? links to natural methods?

#16 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:06 PM

I did the baking soda and vinegar for a while and my hair never really adjusted to it, after about 6 weeks of trying. I think it might have to do with the water in my area though. I'm surrounded by lakes and rocks.
I did use bar soap forever when I lived in Oklahoma though. It worked fine.

I like the big monster cheap brushes at target. I hate narrow brushes. I have too much hair for that.

I have to have conditioner no matter what though. I can skip washing it, wash with anything but store shampoo, but I HAVE to have conditioner.

#17 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:11 PM

OH I have a combover! When I'm feeling spunky I use a good amount of gel, and my single line comb thingy to make myself all pretty.

On most days though I just roll out of bed and my hair is already looking great :D.

I also just realized that I've given up on shaving my chest hair; I'm not quite sure why I've given up...probably because of winter and an extra 2-3 hairs on my babychest ( @onlyme ) might make a difference.

As far as shampoo is concerned, I use old spice.

#18 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 06:00 PM

I have really long and wavy hair so it's always been a disaster. It's almost at my bum now and that's solely because I'm too cheap to spend money at a salon. I've always home dyed it and it got super damaged when I was about 15-16 due to straightening it every day so I went a bit crazy and got tons of oils and repairing masks and expensive treatments.

I pretty much pampered it for years and now I totally love my hair and I barely straighten it anymore. I accept the waves and curls. Also I bought thinning scissors and cut off a third of my hair so it's a lot more manageable.  ^_^

LOL

#19 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 07:41 PM

My head hair is thick and curly naturally. Not coily curls, and it's gotten longer so they are more weighed down and wavy. My hair's also naturally dry and takes forever to get oily.

I wash once a week and dry shampoo in between. Twice a week if I am out of dry shampoo, currently Batiste.

I use sulfate free products. I have Paul Mitchell Awapuhi and Wild Ginger right now.

After I condition I put a deep conditioner every once and a while.

I towel dry and apply a bit of argan oil.

If I really, really need to I will blow dry it a bit, and use Tresemme Heat Protectant Spray first.

Sometimes I straighten my hair later the day I was it or the next day, after it's air dryed fully. I use heat protectant, obviously. Usually it's up in a bun, though, because I'm lazy.

I brush my hair before bed and before I shower so that the poofiness can die down before I leave. But if it's in a bun it's brushed first so the bun is poofy.

#20 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 March 2015 - 10:04 PM

I shampoo and condition with Pantene becaues it's the cheapest, and I ain't made of money. Shampoo normally. I condition, leave it in for a few minutes while I shave my legs and whatnot, and then wash out so that the conditioner stays in more, I guess. Once I get out, I let it air dry for a little while, add some Redken product called real control, and then blowdry. Then I straighten it because my hair is a lion's mane if I don't. 

#21 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 03:52 AM

I wash my hair every day because if I don't it gets super oily and I can't put it in a ponytail now that it's short. I would love to go no poo but I don't have 6 weeks to dedicate to looking like shit. I use organic shampoo and very rarely condition my hair. I don't brush my hair. I blow dry it most days. If I was going to grow my hair out I would treat it better but since I plan to keep it short for the time being it is fine the way it is.

#22 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:11 AM

I don't really grow facial hair. I am almost 27 and it just doesn't grow. Maybe one day I'll be a real boy.

#23 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:13 AM

Oh, yeah. I also straighten my hair three times a year, at most, and blow dry it about the same number of times. I don't like the way air feels on my head and I haven't mastered fixing my hair without totally messing it up so it needs brushed again.

#24 Liesa

Liesa
  • Foxy Lady

• 2196 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 07:48 AM

I have the easiest hair ever :p Wake up with a bedhead and mask it with more gel..Tada :D

#25 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 March 2015 - 08:07 AM

I banned low drier from my home a few years ago, I hate loud noises and the feeling of hot hair in my hair. Plus it made my hair drier. During summer I let my hair air dry normally and in the winter I just use a old t-shirt to wrap my hair while it dries, it's faster and prevent the frizz. And my kids have so fine hair and it half an hour it's already dry so no problem there.

I couldn't let my hair go unwashed, it would look SUPER oily.... how do you counter the oil? links to natural methods?

I wash my hair every 2-3 days, some times less, some times everyday. It really never gets greasy or gunk all over unless I spent 8 hours in the from of a stove making fried food lol I wash it because when I go to the shower I forget not to wet it so I end up washing it anyway. A couple of weeks ago I started running daily, and still it doesn't smell of get disgusting. I just let it dry very well before I brush it again so the sweat smell disappears completely. My husband would be first to tell me if something starts to smell lol so I'm not worried at all. Once I gave up on products the oil produce stabilized, now my hair just looks shiny and not oily.

I haven't used store bought shampoo/conditioner in years. I use sulfate free stuff that is from a beauty supply place. I can't remember the name.

I also wash my hair maybe every 3 days or so (I shower daily most of the time, I'm not gross).

I brush my hair with my fingers after I get out of the shower and then If I'm going to style it I'll use a regular brush. Most of the time it ends up in a messy bun on top of my head because idgaf about what it looks like.

I did the baking soda and vinegar for a while and my hair never really adjusted to it, after about 6 weeks of trying. I think it might have to do with the water in my area though. I'm surrounded by lakes and rocks.
I did use bar soap forever when I lived in Oklahoma though. It worked fine.

I like the big monster cheap brushes at target. I hate narrow brushes. I have too much hair for that.

I have to have conditioner no matter what though. I can skip washing it, wash with anything but store shampoo, but I HAVE to have conditioner.

Why did you decide to go as natural as you can? 

@Jess soap don't work well with hard water, and the BS has a reaction with that type of water (saponification or something like that) like regular soaps do. I've heard of some people that have success using it by apply a water filter in the head shower.

And I had the same problem with conditioner, that's why I use a castor + olive oil mask once a week. 

My head hair is thick and curly naturally. Not coily curls, and it's gotten longer so they are more weighed down and wavy. My hair's also naturally dry and takes forever to get oily.

I wash once a week and dry shampoo in between. Twice a week if I am out of dry shampoo, currently Batiste.

I use sulfate free products. I have Paul Mitchell Awapuhi and Wild Ginger right now.

After I condition I put a deep conditioner every once and a while.

I towel dry and apply a bit of argan oil.

If I really, really need to I will blow dry it a bit, and use Tresemme Heat Protectant Spray first.

Sometimes I straighten my hair later the day I was it or the next day, after it's air dryed fully. I use heat protectant, obviously. Usually it's up in a bun, though, because I'm lazy.

I brush my hair before bed and before I shower so that the poofiness can die down before I leave. But if it's in a bun it's brushed first so the bun is poofy.

I'm confused, you use sulfate free products but also Tresemme. Those have SLS in their composition? At least the ones sold here have. :/

I shampoo and condition with Pantene becaues it's the cheapest, and I ain't made of money. Shampoo normally. I condition, leave it in for a few minutes while I shave my legs and whatnot, and then wash out so that the conditioner stays in more, I guess. Once I get out, I let it air dry for a little while, add some Redken product called real control, and then blowdry. Then I straighten it because my hair is a lion's mane if I don't. 

I have a lion mane too and when I used Pantene I noticed it made it a LOT worse. did you ever tried other brands? I remember using those fruity ones (I can't remember the names damn it) with coloured bottles and my hair was better than with Pantene. 

I don't really grow facial hair. I am almost 27 and it just doesn't grow. Maybe one day I'll be a real boy.

Oh :(

You can always make a deal with the devil? lol

I wash my hair every day because if I don't it gets super oily and I can't put it in a ponytail now that it's short. I would love to go no poo but I don't have 6 weeks to dedicate to looking like shit. I use organic shampoo and very rarely condition my hair. I don't brush my hair. I blow dry it most days. If I was going to grow my hair out I would treat it better but since I plan to keep it short for the time being it is fine the way it is.

You can try it during vacations or a particular time of the year you don't go out that much? lol

The transition period is not the same for everyone, you have a chance of never getting it anyway.

I have the easiest hair ever :p Wake up with a bedhead and mask it with more gel..Tada :D

But you have to wash it at some point, right? Tell me about it. :p

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users