Quantcast

Photo

Is 'sexing up' reading for a children's cause really necessary?

merica what the fuck sexy guys books reading

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:29 PM

I got an email this morning from an organization I enjoy called We Read Books. Usually, their emails are about fun literacy related activities to do with kids and read-a-thons, links to free children's books online, and things like that. My email today was about "hot dudes"

Check out how a whole bunch of hot dudes are getting involved.

So of course, seeing as they're 'hot dudes', I clicked the link. 

Millions of kids in the United States never get the chance to fall in love with reading, because they grow up without books of their own.  First Book addresses this head on by distributing new books to the children needing them most - 125 million and counting.  That’s why First Book is thrilled to partner with @hotdudesreading to launch "Hot Dudes Reading For A Cause."

The Dude devouring Middlemarch across from you on the train? He was probably a boy who explored Middle-Earth with Bilbo Baggins, solved mysteries with Encyclopedia Brown, and learned to count with a certain hungry caterpillar. 

@hotdudesreading is asking for your help to spread the love of reading by making a donation to First Book.  If we are able to generate $50,000 for First Book the organization will provide 20,000 new books to children in need. Additionally, we’ll be collecting photos of hometown dudes from across the country with their heads in a book and sharing these. To submit a photo email it to [email protected] or post on Twitter or Instagram and use the hashtag #HotDudesReadingForACause. 

We will showcase our favorite dudes reading across the nation at www.hotdudesreading.com.

Join us in elevating the quality of education around America. 

Donate now.

And apparently, if you're a hot dude and take a picture of yourself reading a book, you also have a chance to be put on their hotdudesreading website where every girl can jack off to how smart and hot you are.

#2 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:34 PM

I really don't think that just because a "hot dude" is reading a book will make people donate.  People will only donate if they really want to, if they feel a connection to the cause, or just feel bad for the cause and want to help, not because some "hot dude" is supporting it, at least in my opinion. 

To me, a "hot dude" reading makes no difference to my supporting the cause.

#3 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:37 PM

I really don't think that just because a "hot dude" is reading a book will make people donate.  People will only donate if they really want to, if they feel a connection to the cause, or just feel bad for the cause and want to help, not because some "hot dude" is supporting it, at least in my opinion. 

That's how I feel, so why sexualize it at all then?

#4 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:38 PM

I don't find any of these dudes hot. 

#YesAllMen

Our bodies aren't for your pleasure; the way we dress shouldn't mean you can sexualize our appearance. *hairflip*

#5 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:40 PM

I don't find any of these dudes hot. 

#YesAllMen

Our bodies aren't for your pleasure; the way we dress shouldn't mean you can sexualize our appearance. *hairflip*

They all look pretty similar to me.

#6 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:41 PM

That's how I feel, so why sexualize it at all then?

Maybe they think women are shallow enough to donate to a cause because it has hot guys supporting it? I doubt that's it, but it's hard to think of a reason for this. Perhaps they think many people think hot dudes are stupid, and if they show them reading books, it'll showcase the importance of education or something? 

#7 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:41 PM

It's a win-win situation for someone, I suppose.

#8 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 12:53 PM

I don't know what's more stupid, the cause or the guys that send them pictures...

#9 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 01:49 PM

Sex sells, that is a fact. Usually it's sexualizing women, but you see ads all the time with handsome men or guys with not a lot of clothes on, and I promise you that helps sales.
With this campaign, hot guys reading will draw A LOT of women, who usually might not care if kids are reading or not. It will also draw men who want to compare themselves to these guys.

#10 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:53 PM

I think I saw this in instagram a few weeks ago because of a comedian joke in the radio.
I thought it was so theatrical, most pictures showed man reading the first pages of the books, like "hey, take a pic of me reading this book to send to that IG account so everyone can see how hot and smart I am. Oh the sexyness!"

Now adding this concept to a cause to help CHILDREN get access to books it's just... plain stupid. And disgusting.

And I didn't jack off once. #HotDudesReadingAreDisappointing

#11 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:05 PM

They're raising money for good cause.

If you have a problem with it, ignore it.

Simple as that.

#12 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:12 PM

Simple as that.

People learning to ignore things that either don't apply, or mean anything to them?! What?! That's too easy.

#13 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 03:14 PM

People learning to ignore things that either don't apply, or mean anything to them?! What?! That's too easy.

Not for all of us :(

#14 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 March 2015 - 08:48 PM

With this campaign, hot guys reading will draw A LOT of women men, who usually might not care if kids are reading or not. It will also draw men women who want to compare themselves to these guys.

FTFY. Cultural Psychology is a funny thing.

#15 Jhud0ra

Jhud0ra
  • TinyChat Harassment Committee

• 65 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 09:18 PM

Agreed. This is silly and dumb because in my opinion, it kind of trivializes the cause. I'm much more likely to donate money to a cause that I don't think is just dicking around. From the sounds of it, this cause isn't something that should be sent to an e-mail list that usually sends bulletins targeted at kids-book-buying audiences. :|

#16 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2015 - 06:59 AM

FTFY. Cultural Psychology is a funny thing.

I think we agree it will draw a lot of both, but why would women be comparing themselves to these men? And how?

#17 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 March 2015 - 12:53 PM

You're right. I guess I'll just take myself off their mailing list.

#18 Jayqwelin

Jayqwelin
  • 14 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:42 PM

I have a feeling that women age 18-34 account for most of First Book's donations. It's just targeted marketing to yuppie white women who want to save the world and feel good when they donate.

#19 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2015 - 05:45 PM

I have a feeling that women age 18-34 account for most of First Book's donations. It's just targeted marketing to yuppie white women who want to save the world and feel good when they donate.

You misogynistic poop face! How dare you generalize women and their yuppiness.

#20 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 March 2015 - 08:21 PM

To answer the topic question, no, it's not necessary and it's totally unrelated to the cause. Seeing a 'hot dude' reading isn't going to make me think of needy children. But, women are sexualized in an abundance of ads throughout the media so I find myself struggling to care .... :p

#21 luvsmyncis

luvsmyncis
  • I have no friends.

• 6724 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 March 2015 - 10:18 AM

Hahahaha. None of those men actually know how to read.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: merica, what the fuck, sexy guys, books, reading

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users