Neocodex Minecraft Server Suggestions

40 replies to this topic

#1 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:15 PM

Hey guys, after our discussion in the contest thread, I wanted to open this up for proper discussion here as to not derail that thread.

Thoughts on restarting a new server/map?

Mods? Vanilla (please say no)? Possible donations perks and all that jazz.

DISCUSS.

Do you think we should have a regular rotation of maps? Maybe use the 'multiverse' plugin? (This allows us to have more than one map active, but may cost more to run).

There's heaps of ideas out there. I want to hear what you think would be best!

#2 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

I'll organize my ideas tomorrow, but the most important thing:

Mods. WE NEED MODS!

#3 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2015 - 06:24 PM

I'm definite for a restart.

Can't speak for anyone else but it's a bit intimidating logging in for the first time as is.
Heck, even now a part of me feels like I'm still trying to catch up to everyone.

Am 100% a n00b when it comes to mods though. 

What sort of mods are available? Popular? Most likely to be used on our server?

If we go Multiversity (not opposed) perhaps we could have members subscribe to our server (small monthly fee) then we could offer free month of access in different contests? For those with money issues (just can't fit it in the budget) perhaps some alternative could be discussed in private (host contests, stealth mod & report to actual mods, other yet to be determined tasks/projects, pay in gaming currency, etc.)

Edited by AoKnight, 27 March 2015 - 06:26 PM.

#4 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2015 - 08:01 PM

• Restart = yes.
  • Mods = yes (especially Lockette and other securiy-based ones).
  • Multiverse plugin = yes.
  • Establishment of a Neocodex Buycraft shop to sell ranks (with graded levels of abilities per rank, such as /fly, /enchant, and so forth), kits, extra items (spawner blocks and diamonds, for example), etc.
  • Set up an economy of sorts within the server that is either item trade-based or in-game cash based (with the in-game cash earned by selling resources for a set price in a server shop...this can all be automated via plug-ins); additionally, use chest plug-ins to allow for players to sell resources in their own chest-based shops. If Multiverse is used, then both economies could be in place.
  • Activate the Auctions plug-in, as well as Global chat versus Local chat abilities.
  • Configure such that players can make use of the /warp command to set their own warps (up to 5 or so) for easy travel.
  • WorldGuard for personal plots = yes.
  • Open membership to non-Neocodex Minecraft players.

#5 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:07 PM

Use an FTB modpack, it's all pre-setup both server-side and for the client, so it's super easy for people to get running. I'd suggest the direwolf20 pack. It will require a fairly beefy server though. They are a whole new world of fun.

http://www.feed-the-beast.com/

#6 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:09 PM

Use an FTB modpack, it's all pre-setup both server-side and for the client, so it's super easy for people to get running. I'd suggest the direwolf20 pack. It will require a fairly beefy server though. They are a whole new world of fun.

http://www.feed-the-beast.com/

I was gonna ask if you played MC, completely forgot that I used to "borrow" the iron from your farm lol

#7 Neoquest

Neoquest
  • 1760 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:23 PM

I was gonna ask if you played MC, completely forgot that I used to "borrow" the iron from your farm lol

Yep, I had a nice setup on the sever. :)

The automation with FTB is just so much cooler and more satisfying, though. It can be a bit overwhelming at first when there are literally thousands of items and you don't know what any of them do, but learning it all over again is one of the best parts.

#8 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:25 PM

The automation with FTB is just so much cooler and more satisfying, though. It can be a bit overwhelming at first when there are literally thousands of items and you don't know what any of them do, but learning it all over again is one of the best parts.

The server definitely needs something new, and this sounds like an awesome place to start. :D

#9 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:27 PM

Yeah, I've played some modpacks before, and it's really great. It's like playing a completely new game, you need to learn about a lot of stuff, and that's what makes it better than pure vanilla, you can't get bored :p

#10 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:35 PM

Some awesome suggestions guys and thanks for the input! I have been checking out the FTB modpacks and they seem rather intense, but I think you guys are right. It may take a bit to learn, but thats where the fun is, especially if we can do it with other members of the forum and beyond :D

#11 Grimley

Grimley

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 March 2015 - 09:38 PM

Some awesome suggestions guys and thanks for the input! I have been checking out the FTB modpacks and they seem rather intense, but I think you guys are right. It may take a bit to learn, but thats where the fun is, especially if we can do it with other members of the forum and beyond :D

Heck yeah, Strat!  :yahoo:

Also, I have met a couple of people in my server-testing ramblings (one or two who are super nice) who are constantly in search of a nice server to join, and like me, they are more than willing to buy rank-ups and kits on various servers (even those they are not constantly visiting); having said as much, I think that only good things could come of this server facelift. ;)

#12 Cory

Cory
  • Dinnerbone'd

• 7487 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2015 - 05:49 PM

I've mentioned it before but I think outside infusion is going to have to be key. There just isn't enough players here to keep it active. 

#13 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:11 PM

...they are more than willing to buy rank-ups and kits on various servers...

That's against Minecraft's EULA sadly. :/

We cannot "sell" anything to a player for real currency. (Regardless if it's for personal profit or  to maintain the server)

#14 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:46 PM

That's against Minecraft's EULA sadly. :/

We cannot "sell" anything to a player for real currency. (Regardless if it's for personal profit or  to maintain the server)

Since when did anyone ever care about EULA's? We can use BuyCraft or some form of plugin like it for 'donations' to help fund the server costs etc.

2b793a4947779603d9ad45743a0bc532.png

#15 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2015 - 06:49 PM

Since when did anyone ever care about EULA's? We can use BuyCraft or some form of plugin like it for 'donations' to help fund the server costs etc.

image.pic

I was referring more to the "kits".

#16 Nano

Nano
  • a delicious kiwi

• 325 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2015 - 07:01 PM

Farming/Non-PVP/McMMO is always fun in my books. Gives goals to work on, etc.

#17 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:09 PM

I love how there was this whole polemic around these "kits" and they decided to block them permanently because servers were taking advantage of kids with super expensive items and kits. Now it's all back xD

#18 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2015 - 09:40 PM

FTB modpacks are great. I've used Direwolf20, Monster, and Horizons. Recently moved to Ressurrection because it is compatible with Minecraft 1.7. I would probably go with Direwolf20 since it looks like they just made it compatible with 1.7.

#19 Strategist

Strategist
  • Sadmin

• 10012 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 March 2015 - 11:49 PM

FTB modpacks are great. I've used Direwolf20, Monster, and Horizons. Recently moved to Ressurrection because it is compatible with Minecraft 1.7. I would probably go with Direwolf20 since it looks like they just made it compatible with 1.7.

That's probably the most likely choice we would go with I think. It's good to see they're still updating it as newer versions of MC come out. I can only hope they don't fall too far behind with the upcoming 1.9 release.

#20 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:23 AM

I've played a few modpacks from FTB I just have to say that some of them are a lot for my computer to handle.. I don't know why, so if we do end up using a modpack of some sort I would suggest making sure it's one that everyone is compatible with.

I ended up just deleted FTB (and another thing I can't remember the name) because my computer couldn't handle it.

Buuut I'm all for starting a new server (I'll miss my tardis though) and I'd probably end up changing my name.

#21 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2015 - 05:55 PM

I will say this again - we can run a server using the neocodex namespace - have it web administrated and use a mod pack service similar to feed the beast.
I will leave the details and decisions up to you guys though, tag me when we have a result :)

#22 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

The only suggestions I want to give is to accept players from outside Neocodex. We could advertise it on other forums without mentioning here, but with apps, and when they are in we would tell them about the forum? Is that allowed?

I agree with all the suggestions posted!

#23 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:00 PM

The only suggestions I want to give is to accept players from outside Neocodex. We could advertise it on other forums without mentioning here, but with apps, and when they are in we would tell them about the forum? Is that allowed?

I agree with all the suggestions posted!

There are a few subreddits for advertising servers.

We can use it to increase forum activity AND Minecraft activity :D

#24 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:00 PM

There are a few subreddits for advertising servers.

We can use it to increase forum activity AND Minecraft activity :D

Yeah, subreddits feel safer.

#25 Pyro699

Pyro699
  • 1542 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 March 2015 - 07:02 PM

If it is set up on the server - we can have it so members can tie their neocodex account to their minecraft account, and all members would have the ability to kick guests - or something.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users