• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:01 PM

I'm job hunting. I haven't done this in uhhh... 7 years? At least. I've been a stay at home mom for the past 2 years; I had a job for 5 years before that. I have no idea what I'm doing.

What do I put for the past two years on my resume? I don't think something like 'sells neopoints against TNT's TOS' is something that will go well.

Tips? Advice?

(And yes, I'll probably be relocating too, since we've discussed my lack of job options in this area in other threads.)

#2 Legitboi

Legitboi
  • 1040 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:06 PM

Depending yourself..... what you are good at??? Doing sales? Admin work? Doing retail in walmart?

Hmm!!!

Resume can be fake..... you can write alot things inside which is untrue and it will bring alot of attentions from company who is looking for worker. :)

#3 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

I don't think lying is a good thing to do in a resume lol

#4 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:10 PM

I think they'd find out if I lied...

#5 Legitboi

Legitboi
  • 1040 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:15 PM

I don't think lying is a good thing to do in a resume lol

At least you can try luck to find a job (fast!) than waiting for year and yet to find any.

I think they'd find out if I lied...

Unless you are unlucky enough..... trust me i don't think any company will take time and effort to search all the interviewer background during interview.... its waste alot of time.

Example you want to work as a sales-girl.... maybe you can try to think of some "ghost" companies that related for sales and written it down on your resume.

Edited by Rolexboi87, 07 April 2015 - 07:15 PM.

#6 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:39 PM

I lied on mine.......

And got my job because of it! :D

#7 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:43 PM

I lied on mine.......

I don't think you needed. I mean, it's a cellphone shop, you don't need to be that good.

:p

#8 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:46 PM

I don't think you needed. I mean, it's a cellphone shop, you don't need to be that good.

:p

:(

You're not wrong though....

#9 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 07:49 PM

:(
You're not wrong though....

Don't feel bad! At least you're not a lazy ass like me :p

#10 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:43 PM

My resume has never gotten me a job, but the people i know have. I use my resume to tell people that i don't suck and my friends to tell people that i'm awesome and definitely the best pick for the job. :)

I hope you are able to find something soon. Just keep it simple and relevant. Add some really nice references to it. I also had my mother-in-law proof read my resume. She helped a lot.

Good luck Jess Jess!!

#11 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 08:57 PM

If you need references I'm sure you could get multiple good ones from people here and fudge what you've done :)

#12 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:13 PM

Certified bathtub occupier.

#13 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 09:37 PM

I'm job hunting. I haven't done this in uhhh... 7 years? At least. I've been a stay at home mom for the past 2 years; I had a job for 5 years before that. I have no idea what I'm doing.

What do I put for the past two years on my resume? I don't think something like 'sells neopoints against TNT's TOS' is something that will go well.

Tips? Advice?

(And yes, I'll probably be relocating too, since we've discussed my lack of job options in this area in other threads.)

You've got corn / bath tub modeling experience. 

On a serious note, I can help revise your resume if you need help. I've done a few myself, and I've revised some for my direct reports. 

I may be biased, but to me simplicity is key. I think short notes that you can speak to are better than long paragraphs that no one wants to read.

#14 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:48 PM

In lieu of an actual job history, you are able to substitute with job like qualities. Including but not limited to any volunteer work you may have done. You'll also want to add emphasis on the skills you do have. Homeschooling skills, for example, could easily be seen as the ability to train and manage people, even lead.

Here's a few tips:

http://www.livecaree...perience-resume

http://www.military....our-resume.html

#15 Legitboi

Legitboi
  • 1040 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 April 2015 - 11:28 PM

I lied on mine.......

Awesome LIE!

:thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:  :thumbsup:

#16 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 April 2015 - 12:33 AM

Being a 'stay at home mom' actually has a lot of transferable skills involved like time management, multi-tasking, conflict resolution, money management, motivational skills, training/teaching, logistics etc so there's no need to lie or downplay that role. ;)

#17 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:46 AM

work at Starbucks part-time, go to school part time(free), become some amazing business woman and live a life of luxury.

http://www.eonline.c...book-na-eonline

it sounded better in my head.

#18 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

Yeah, don't lie on your resume. 

You could put your homeschooling on there, especially if you present the skills it required, etc, as if it were a "real" job. <-- I have no idea how to word that sentence without coming across as an ass, so I'll leave it :|

#19 Random

Random
  • 8199 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 April 2015 - 05:05 PM

Never lie, always exaggerate. Also, checkout articles about resumes on sites like Business Insider that show heat maps regarding what people actually look at, etc. Honestly, formatting and phrasing is 75% of the battle. 

#20 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:26 PM

I recommend Alison Green for expertise on resume writing. She runs a blog called askamanager and she really, really knows her shit. I read her every day.

Do not lie on your resume. And to everyone else, please don't think that this is ok to do. I have had to manage people who lied to get their jobs and ended up firing most of them because 1) they lacked the knowledge to perform the job that they would have had if they had been telling the truth and 2) I cannot trust someone who lies on their resume and don't want them working for me. Those who I didn't fire, quit themselves (good riddance).

Exaggeration is to be expected but to a point, claiming to have skills that you don't have is bad both for the employer and you. Don't set yourself up to be a disappointment after being hired. It will stick with you, trust me.

Good hiring managers do check references, by the way. It does happen. Often.

#21 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 April 2015 - 06:49 PM

Yeah, don't lie on your resume. 

You could put your homeschooling on there, especially if you present the skills it required, etc, as if it were a "real" job. <-- I have no idea how to word that sentence without coming across as an ass, so I'll leave it :|

It's fine. Frizzle has very clearly worded everything you're getting at in small words I can understand at other points in time.

#22 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 April 2015 - 09:00 PM

Tom Ford got his designing jobs by saying he went to Parsons, a school known for turning out amazing designers. The issue? Tom Ford went to Parsons for architecture. He just fudged it to his advantage. 

You've taught a lot of people here, a lot of things. You've taught me and others tons of things regarding health, nutrition, cooking, and many other assorted things. I wouldn't lie but I would definitely fudge things to market yourself depending on what job you're trying to attain. 

You shouldn't really need to do that though, you held a job for a good amount of time. You're educated. You have a good work ethic. Put your domestic engineers skills on the resume and explain it in your cover letter :D 

My resume is all 100% truthful because in an interview i'd be like:

6PlRXhI.gif

#23 Nekromion

Nekromion
  • Banned from trading - Do not trade with this member!

• 16 posts

Posted 09 April 2015 - 06:33 AM

Good luck on your job junt :D

#24 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2015 - 03:13 PM

I don't mean to brag or anything but I've gotten every job I've ever interviewed for and was extremely under qualified for all of them. :p

Don't lie on your damn resume. If you're under qualified try to turn that into a strength in the sense that you are more than willing and eager to be trained and learn how to do the job. Like no, I don't know what the fuck I'm doing, but I really want this position so I'm willing to put in the effort to be a great employee and learn.  

And if you are qualified for the job, use the best references possible. References are a big deal (at least in office work?) so don't be shy about asking the big boss to be a reference for you.

As far as resume building goes - try to expand in details about what you were best at but try to touch on everything you are capable of doing. Presentation is important as well, I have a really awesome template that a mediator (lawyer) did up for me and I could send you that if needed!

#25 pancakeface

pancakeface
  • 769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 April 2015 - 04:54 PM

Thank Jessus. Helpful topic for me too. Been doing some reading myself and definitely agree with what has already been stated. Many agreed with Waser in the sense that being a stay-at-home mom and home-schooling is very indicative of capacity as a good employee. I don't think the gap in paid work needs to be justified, you took 2 years off from paid employment to nurture your children. It really shouldn't be an issue for any employer. That said, my understanding is that employers like to look for well-roundedness. Probably good to weave a mix of mom with previous job before that in your resume.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: merica, jobs, employment, halp

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users