Horse Drawn Carriages in Central Park

animals horse carriage new york city

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 majestictuna

majestictuna
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 09:36 AM

So it's been in the news lately that many people are battling over the horse-drawn carriages that are sprinkled throughout Central Park in New York City. I posted two videos of each of the opposing sides- videos are so much better than articles when you're in a hurry. As an individual who knows far too much (okay, I could never know too much) about equines, I can give a little insight on different events, outcomes, etc, but I want to hear your thoughts. I'm pretty torn between them, these horses get more vacation than most people, freak accidents are, honestly, a part of life, and, in general, these horses could very well end up slaughtered if the horse-drawn business was shut down like this- the reality of them living their lives out happily at shelters is highly unlikely. However, horses were never meant to live in the city, they do pose a danger to people, themselves, etc. particularly in busy areas or confined spaces.

Video One: AGAINST (like 2 minutes)

Video Two: FOR (ten minutes)

So, hit me with your best shot. 

I'm pretty sure they made a final conclusion and decided to move the horses OUT of Central Park/New York City, but I'm still curious to hear more arguments for and against. 

Edited by majestictuna, 12 April 2015 - 09:45 AM.

#2 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 April 2015 - 11:52 AM

I didn't watch either video, I don't know anything about this debate, and I'm not invested in it, but I would say I'm opposed, because it's tacky.

Oh, I think I should add that I HATE HORSES, they're untrustworthy, soulless, anachronistic beasts that should be avoided.

#3 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:20 PM

I'm against using animals like this.

I think riding elephants is also as detestable. 

So therefore, without even looking at the links I can tell you that I think horse drawn carriages are against my ethical values. 

#4 majestictuna

majestictuna
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:27 PM

Many of these horses will be sold at auctions and the majority of them will be slaughtered for their meat in Canada and Mexico. So is it a worse evil to save the horses from hard labor or from a very likely death. 

Just a thought...

Edited by majestictuna, 12 April 2015 - 12:28 PM.

#5 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:30 PM

I'm not into using animals as transportation. Horseback riding is one thing, but a single horse pulling a family of four is completely barbaric. I see your point about the working horses not having a future if the business is shut down, but there are plenty of ways around that. I'm sure there are wealthy New Yorkers who would love to adopt these horses and give them a lovely home. With the technology and machinery we have nowadays, there's no point in forcing animals into labor.

#6 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 April 2015 - 12:36 PM

Many of these horses will be sold at auctions and the majority of them will be slaughtered for their meat in Canada and Mexico. So is it a worse evil to save the horses from hard labor or from a very likely death. 

Just a thought...

Considering I'm also against that I think both are evil. Human beings as we know have complex thought processes. Human beings who are enslaved and forced to do certain types of work often express that they wish they were dead than endure that. So I mean idk... I'd rather be put to death than to be a slave of hard labour for others. That's just my ideas though.

I even feel weird having a pet dog. If she wasn't domesticated and could survive in the wild, she should be there. However, my dog is a pansy who thinks that dog food is beneath her. Animals don't exist for us. They exist of their own accord. imho. 

#7 majestictuna

majestictuna
  • 60 posts

Posted 12 April 2015 - 01:09 PM

See I'm a firm believer that animals and humans belong together- when appropriate. There are reasons horses, dogs, cats, and other animals have been "domesticated" and other animals have not. I live a few hours from a reservation that has wild horses on it.

Spoiler

When the economy went down, people would actually release their horses into the wild because they couldn't afford to feed them anymore. Unfortunately, these horses were not adapted for the harsh winters without blankets, the lack of food, and the absence of veterinary care that had once been available to them. Yes, some of the horses survived, but when, in the past, we had driven through it was a surprise and exciting to see a herd of wild horses, now dead horses are almost always seen on the drive through, along with so many herds of horses there is no way the land they live on can support them. 

Additionally, if you knew what horses went through when they were shipped to slaughter outside the United States, I think you would see how many feel this option is a horrific one. I wouldn't post pictures of examples because they are all awful. 

I'm not into using animals as transportation. Horseback riding is one thing, but a single horse pulling a family of four is completely barbaric. I see your point about the working horses not having a future if the business is shut down, but there are plenty of ways around that. I'm sure there are wealthy New Yorkers who would love to adopt these horses and give them a lovely home. With the technology and machinery we have nowadays, there's no point in forcing animals into labor.

Horses as a general rule can actually pull up to 3 times their own weight on wheels over paved ground. Most carriages weigh between 800-1000 lbs. Most carriage horses weight between 1200-2000 lbs depending on whether they are a light breed or a draft breed. Even miniature ponies are easily able to pull carts of up to 2 people- usually a parent and child with a very lightweight cart (weighs around 80-150 lbs). I own two miniature horses that are freaking hilarious with explosive manes and just cuteness all around in general (pic below). Usually we just have them for cuddles and love, but occasionally we'll throw a miniature pony saddle on them and take my 3 year old daughter for a ride. 

Cuteness alert below.

Spoiler

If the horses that were pulling carriages in New York were guaranteed a happy life afterwards and the individuals whose entire livelihood rested on their carriage horses were able to find a career that didn't displace them too terribly, I would be an immediate advocate of their removal from Central Park. I just find it frustrating that the people advocating so strongly for their removal aren't doing much to set up everyone that will lose because of this. I guess I look at this with the ethics of the a Utilitarian. Some must sacrifice for the greater good...I dunno. I'm torn really. 

#8 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 April 2015 - 08:17 PM

Considering I'm also against that I think both are evil. Human beings as we know have complex thought processes. Human beings who are enslaved and forced to do certain types of work often express that they wish they were dead than endure that. So I mean idk... I'd rather be put to death than to be a slave of hard labour for others. That's just my ideas though.

I even feel weird having a pet dog. If she wasn't domesticated and could survive in the wild, she should be there. However, my dog is a pansy who thinks that dog food is beneath her. Animals don't exist for us. They exist of their own accord. imho. 

I think I'd feel weird eating people who didn't want to be slaves anymore and I wouldn't feel weird eating horses. I'm also not sure these horses would be able to exist in the wild.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: animals, horse, carriage, new york city

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users