Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:25 PM

IT'S THAT TIME OF THE YEAR AGAIN!

PUT ON YOUR SPANDEX,

SLIP ON YOUR SNEAKERS,

AND GET. TO. WORK.

Xqj35H0.jpg

SUMMER 2015 EDITION

Before we jump into this competition, we want to hear your thoughts!

How long should the competition run for?

Should we focus on weight loss/gain, exercise, or overall well-being?

How should we rank the contestants?

What prizes should be given out?

What could be improved from last year?

Any other ideas?

We want to hear anything and everything you think about this!

No idea is too small or too "out there".

Let me know your thoughts below!

For reference, here's last year's thread, run by the lovely Ms. Rocket.

LET'S DO THIS SHIT, CODEXERS.

Edited by Shannon, 01 May 2015 - 09:54 AM.

#2 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:43 PM

I'll be here to help the best I can between life and such! 

#3 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:47 PM

I much prefer the 12 week format we did last time, but I know it is a little much not only to keep up with, but to keep people active/motivated.

With that in mind, I think an 8 week competition would be better this time, but I'd love to hear everyone else's comments as on this.

#4 Amadeus

Amadeus
  • 135 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 06:55 PM

What would happen to the people that are already thin but would like to participate by gaining muscle?

#5 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:14 PM

Awesome! I love this! 

I feel as though there definitely needs to be some clear objectives, rules and boundaries. Not to make the contest strict, just to keep the contest clear. Maybe we could have divisions or categories? For example- Weight loss, fitness, and healthy eating. People could have a choice to enter just one, or multiple categories. Then each one could have its own set of guidelines and rules. 

#6 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:37 PM

I'll be here to help the best I can between life and such! 

Thanks babe! I'm so grateful for all the hard work you did last year that I can not-so-secretly steal from :p

I much prefer the 12 week format we did last time, but I know it is a little much not only to keep up with, but to keep people active/motivated.

With that in mind, I think an 8 week competition would be better this time, but I'd love to hear everyone else's comments as on this.

I'm fine with either, as I think the key to staying healthy is to plan for lifetime wellness, so it can be put up to a vote or we can just see what the general consensus is.

What would happen to the people that are already thin but would like to participate by gaining muscle?

I'm totally okay with working with weight gain as well. The competition could possibly be ranked by the difference in pounds, rather than just an increase or decrease.

Awesome! I love this! 

I feel as though there definitely needs to be some clear objectives, rules and boundaries. Not to make the contest strict, just to keep the contest clear. Maybe we could have divisions or categories? For example- Weight loss, fitness, and healthy eating. People could have a choice to enter just one, or multiple categories. Then each one could have its own set of guidelines and rules. 

That's a great idea! I'd be fine with joining weight loss and gain together, and then separating the other two into their own categories. It might be hard to judge workouts and healthy eating because I can't expect people to film themselves working out or eating their meals, but there has to be something we can think of. And yes, I'm completely on board with the clear rules/objectives. This is meant to be a supportive event, but I do want to be sure everyone is playing fairly and healthily. :)

#7 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:37 PM

I'd second the 8 week idea. 12 weeks was a bit long and hard to keep up with. Plus, after a while I just wasn't motivated anymore. It felt like it was going on forever, and I got tired and bored. 

I'd also agree with divisions or categories, that way everyone who wants to participate and track their progress and share with others doing the same can, instead of just people trying to lose weight. 

As for judging things: perhaps those who want to gain weight could just take pictures of the scale as it goes up, or how much they can lift/press/bench every week to show progress? You could also have people keep an eating log and just have them take some pictures to add to the log, or if they're making the food themselves, just snap a pick of the ingredients. The pictures could go directly into a spreadsheet or something they could make for the week. For those, like me, who just want to exercise, same idea. Keep an exercise log. Use an app that deals with exercise and take screenshots of what exercises you've done, and then just put them into a spreadsheet or album on imgur (or whatever picture site they like to use) to share. 

#8 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:45 PM

I'd second the 8 week idea. 12 weeks was a bit long and hard to keep up with. Plus, after a while I just wasn't motivated anymore. It felt like it was going on forever, and I got tired and bored. 

I'd also agree with divisions or categories, that way everyone who wants to participate and track their progress and share with others doing the same can, instead of just people trying to lose weight. 

As for judging things: perhaps those who want to gain weight could just take pictures of the scale as it goes up, or how much they can lift/press/bench every week to show progress? You could also have people keep an eating log and just have them take some pictures to add to the log, or if they're making the food themselves, just snap a pick of the ingredients. The pictures could go directly into a spreadsheet or something they could make for the week. For those, like me, who just want to exercise, same idea. Keep an exercise log. Use an app that deals with exercise and take screenshots of what exercises you've done, and then just put them into a spreadsheet or album on imgur (or whatever picture site they like to use) to share. 

Totally feel you on the loss of motivation after too long. Noted! And the divisions are definitely sounding like a good idea. We have such a diverse group of members on here, and I'd hate for anyone to miss out.

My only issue with people taking pictures of food logs is that they could easily fake them and write down anything they'd like. Same thing with an exercise log. I just really want to be sure people are playing fair here, because nothing is more motivating than putting in hard work and seeing yourself move up in the rankings. I'd be totally down for reviewing people's meal pictures, though. I just don't want that to be tedious for people. There's got to be a middle ground there - I just haven't found it yet.

#9 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:49 PM

Totally feel you on the loss of motivation after too long. Noted! And the divisions are definitely sounding like a good idea. We have such a diverse group of members on here, and I'd hate for anyone to miss out.

My only issue with people taking pictures of food logs is that they could easily fake them and write down anything they'd like. Same thing with an exercise log. I just really want to be sure people are playing fair here, because nothing is more motivating than putting in hard work and seeing yourself move up in the rankings. I'd be totally down for reviewing people's meal pictures, though. I just don't want that to be tedious for people. There's got to be a middle ground there - I just haven't found it yet.

That's why I included pictures of food in the log. The log could be a spread sheet with the pictures of the food they've eaten, or they could just make an album somewhere.

Same with the exercise log. If they don't use an app they could take a pic of them at the gym, or them working out at home, or whatever. If they use an app, they could screenshot the app after their workout is done when it shows they've completed it, and some show exactly what workout they completed. 

I don't think that's too tedious, because pics are only a single snap, and it doesn't really take too much to upload them to an image hosting site. Especially with imgur because you can just drag and drop all the pics you want in, and it'll upload them all for you at the same time. 

#10 Amadeus

Amadeus
  • 135 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:51 PM

You could ask people to take pictures of themselves as they measure themselves (arms, torax, stomach, etc...) while holding a Neocodex sign. 

A Photolog of their meals and the amount of calories they're consuming also could help (alongside help themselves realize how much they're actually eating).

#11 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 07:55 PM

That's why I included pictures of food in the log. The log could be a spread sheet with the pictures of the food they've eaten, or they could just make an album somewhere.

Same with the exercise log. If they don't use an app they could take a pic of them at the gym, or them working out at home, or whatever. If they use an app, they could screenshot the app after their workout is done when it shows they've completed it, and some show exactly what workout they completed. 

I don't think that's too tedious, because pics are only a single snap, and it doesn't really take too much to upload them to an image hosting site. Especially with imgur because you can just drag and drop all the pics you want in, and it'll upload them all for you at the same time. 

Oh, now I see what you're saying! Definitely on board for the spreadsheet idea with a picture/text log combo. And you're right about the tediousness - I mean, we're all sitting on the computer uploading and downloading pictures all day anyways, haha. Thanks for your ideas!

You could ask people to take pictures of themselves as they measure themselves (arms, torax, stomach, etc...) while holding a Neocodex sign. 

A Photolog of their meals and the amount of calories they're consuming also could help (alongside help themselves realize how much they're actually eating).

Totally love the idea of people getting pictures of themselves whilst measuring their progress. They can tape a sign to themselves with their contestant number. And yes, I'm loving the idea for a photolog, as long as people are willing to do it. Being healthy is going to require dedication, anyways.

#12 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:03 PM

How do you measure overall well being? I agree with eight week. I needed the twelve week program last year, but tbh this year is be participating strictly for the accountability

#13 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:09 PM

How do you measure overall well being? I agree with eight week. I needed the twelve week program last year, but tbh this year is be participating strictly for the accountability

Honestly, no clue. Maybe pictures of the healthy foods people eat and of the times they exercise? Yeah, I think eight weeks will be good. We can always do one the next season, if needed.

#14 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:12 PM

Healthy food is pretty subjective.

#15 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:14 PM

Very true. I'm up for any suggestions on this because while I do want to make things fair and objective for everyone, I don't want to discourage anyone that might have a different idea of healthy foods/activities.

#16 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:15 PM

Very true. I'm up for any suggestions on this because while I do want to make things fair and objective for everyone, I don't want to discourage anyone that might have a different idea of healthy foods/activities.

Yeah, the only way I can think of would be for people to state their goals at the beginning?

#17 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:17 PM

Yeah, the only way I can think of would be for people to state their goals at the beginning?

Maybe they could also list what foods they consider healthy. Not all foods, but just the foods that might not seem healthy to other people. Again, a spreadsheet with a list of foods the person considers healthy, which others may not, might be good. 

#18 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:20 PM

Love that! I could have everyone make little health wishlists and goals before the first week starts.

Maybe they could also list what foods they consider healthy. Not all foods, but just the foods that might not seem healthy to other people. Again, a spreadsheet with a list of foods the person considers healthy, which others may not, might be good. 

Yaaa that's a great idea. As much as this contest is going to be incredibly detailed, we're all going to benefit a lot from it.

#19 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:27 PM

Love that! I could have everyone make little health wishlists and goals before the first week starts.

Yaaa that's a great idea. As much as this contest is going to be incredibly detailed, we're all going to benefit a lot from it.

I like spreadsheets.  :wub:

#20 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:28 PM

The only reason I bring it up is because I get half my calories from fat almost every day. High fat + produce is my "healthy"

#21 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:29 PM

I like spreadsheets.  :wub:

You and me both, sista. I want allll the data.

The only reason I bring it up is because I get half my calories from fat almost every day. High fat + produce is my "healthy"

Mhm totally understand! And there's so many different diets and tastes that it'll be a lot easier to accommodate people this way.

#22 Amadeus

Amadeus
  • 135 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 08:48 PM

Well, there's a lot of ways to get to healthy, but being healthy is not very hard to determine. Having energy, being able to do a 30 minutes workout without fainting or pain, eating the amount appropriate for your size and age, etc... There are many tests online you can take to determine stuff such as flexibility, endurance, etc... All needed to be healthy. There can be a few odd cases but for most people being healthy is not hard to measure against a standard.

#23 Guppie

Guppie
  • 1285 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:21 PM

According to my BMI, I'm a tad underweight, but I feel like I'm a healthy weight. Still, I have no interest in losing any more. I already eat pretty healthily (though there's certainly room for improvement). I like the idea of exercise, because I'm very unhealthily out of shape.

I do wonder if this is a kind of contest which will necessarily exclude those who are already healthy and have healthy habits

#24 Prisca

Prisca
  • Clouded Liberty

• 2494 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 09:29 PM

Perhaps people can submit a plan at the beginning. I have a healthy eating plan that lists what i should be eating in a day (proteins, dairy, grains, greens etc), and i construct my food each day around that. My daily goal is to meet as many of those requirements as i can. It would be hard to award the person whose only goal is to eat less McDonalds, vs someone whose goal is to eat consistently from a variety of 'healthy food'. Having said that, the struggle for both to achieve their individual goals could easily be rationalized in an 'application' of some kind. I don't know if that is too confusing sry.

#25 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 April 2015 - 10:19 PM

Well, there's a lot of ways to get to healthy, but being healthy is not very hard to determine. Having energy, being able to do a 30 minutes workout without fainting or pain, eating the amount appropriate for your size and age, etc... There are many tests online you can take to determine stuff such as flexibility, endurance, etc... All needed to be healthy. There can be a few odd cases but for most people being healthy is not hard to measure against a standard.

The ideal test would be to get examined by a health professional, but yes, theres plenty of other ways to determine your health. Even monitoring your heart rate as you work out can be a great indicator. As someone becomes more fit, their heart rate will become more steady with the same exercise.

According to my BMI, I'm a tad underweight, but I feel like I'm a healthy weight. Still, I have no interest in losing any more. I already eat pretty healthily (though there's certainly room for improvement). I like the idea of exercise, because I'm very unhealthily out of shape.

I do wonder if this is a kind of contest which will necessarily exclude those who are already healthy and have healthy habits

I'm sure you'd fit right into the overall health section. Maybe that one could simply be for participation - each day you continue to eat healthy and exercise, you get a point?

Perhaps people can submit a plan at the beginning. I have a healthy eating plan that lists what i should be eating in a day (proteins, dairy, grains, greens etc), and i construct my food each day around that. My daily goal is to meet as many of those requirements as i can. It would be hard to award the person whose only goal is to eat less McDonalds, vs someone whose goal is to eat consistently from a variety of 'healthy food'. Having said that, the struggle for both to achieve their individual goals could easily be rationalized in an 'application' of some kind. I don't know if that is too confusing sry.

Mhm, I definitely like the idea of a personalized plan for each contestant, as long as it's reasonable. Everyone could make a set of requirements for themselves, and when they tick them off for the day, they get a point. Maybe for each section besides the weight loss/gain section could just use a points system?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: biggest loser, contest, summer, tbl, padme is bae

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users