#1 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:12 AM

hqdefault.jpg

Let's talk about cults. 

Yesterday I watched a good 20 minutes of the Heaven's Gate initiation tape on youtube, and it's fascinating. Obviously the cult leader was unhinged, but I always find it surprising how many followers these guys amass. I watched an interview with the only surviving member of the cult, and he remains convinced that Marshall Applewhite was the second coming of Christ. Also surprising is the fact that their website is somehow still up.

Are/were you the member of a cult? Are there any cults you find particularly interesting?

#2 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:14 AM

There's a cult that basically is based in my city. It's at the oasis centre and people pay money to stare into an ugly old mans eyes.... What

I also find cults fascinating. Interested to see the answers :)

#3 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:18 AM

There's a cult that basically is based in my city. It's at the oasis centre and people pay money to stare into an ugly old mans eyes.... What

I also find cults fascinating. Interested to see the answers :)

That sounds amazing. Do you know what it's called? You should make a visit and report back. 

#4 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:38 AM

http://www.vice.com/...taring-cult-224

I want to make a visit but I also don't want to pay lol

#5 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:49 AM

Never been in a cult,and have no desire to be in one. (do orchestras count? Lol) They're like massive flocks of sheep gathering to praise/condemn something. I could easily do that at home. :p

#6 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 04:53 AM

http://www.vice.com/...taring-cult-224

I want to make a visit but I also don't want to pay lol

You should do it, only $10!! Thanks for the link: If I'm ever in Edmonton for some godforsaken reason I now know what to do.

#7 Eggie

Eggie
  • 317 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 07:02 AM

Never been in one or near one as far as I know, but they fascinate the hell out of me. Scientology, Breatharians, JWs...not sure if you could also classify this as a cult, but those hardcore fundamental Baptists/Christians also intrigue me. The more fucked up it is the more I want to read about it.

#8 Inky

Inky
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:34 AM

I, too, am fascinated by cults. I've especially always been fascinated by cults like Jonestown and Haven's Gate that end in massive suicides. I've never visited one / known of any near me but I would love to be able to see one from the inside one day. The way they can manipulate people is just mind-boggling. I think it's very akin to modern Evangelist churches that congregate by the thousands and participate in "faith healing" and things like that. It's very interesting to read about people who just forfeit their entire life's savings in these beliefs, alienate themselves from their entire family, and really believe in these types of "leaders."

#9 Inky

Inky
  • 50 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 08:41 AM

The cult of the Catholic Church is also fascinating. 

Pretty much all organized religion is cult-like (though that's bound to offend religious folks.)

It just varies based on the religion itself.

#10 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 09:18 AM

@Bone did you ever end up going to the L. Ron Hubbard house?

#11 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:06 AM

The cult of the Catholic Church is also fascinating. 

Be careful not to cut yourself -- this post is very edgy.

@Bone did you ever end up going to the L. Ron Hubbard house?

Not yet. When I visited Madrid I actually considered getting a "free personality test" (as advertised with permanent marker on a piece of cardboard) at a shady Scientology building, but I decided the lulz wouldn't be worth the risk.

#12 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:17 AM

Not yet. When I visited Madrid I actually considered getting a "free personality test" (as advertised with permanent marker on a piece of cardboard) at a shady Scientology building, but I decided the lulz wouldn't be worth the risk.

Haha, good call.

#13 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 10:34 AM

Does Westboro Baptist Church count as a cult? @onlyme

#14 redlion

redlion
  • I don't exist!

• 12072 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:24 PM

The word cult in it's simplest form implies an enigmatic and charismatic lead figure. Christ, L. Ron, Joseph Smith, Valentine Michael Smith, Muhammad - any of these qualify.

But cult in the sense you mean, and I think the sense most English speakers use the word, as a minor religious group, a doomsday cult, or a new age religion. This type of cult is much easier to stereotype. I just reread Cryptonomicon, so pardon the cryptography analogy. The most widely respected religions, as well as the best crypto systems, publish their secrets. If you rely on the secrecy of your crypto algorithm, then the system is shot when the secret is out. So too, does secrecy prove a problem for religious practice. Look at L. Ron's crazy thetan scheme. Or the Mormon's Planet-harem after death scheme. Even tantric buddhism (vajrayana small sects) is viewed with skepticism because of the initiation circles.

I don't think that most sects would survive if exposed to the harsh light of day. They rely on mysticism, on showmanship.

#15 cara

cara
  • 56/m/mexico

• 3364 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

Yeah, we have a couple cults here. We get those Hare Krishna's (oh god, am I spelling that right?) singing their catchy chant in subways. We have an open case currently where one of our mum's is part of a cult and there have been reports of talk of sacrificing her baby (hence our involvement). Can't recall the name, though ..

#16 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:41 PM

TIL Canada is full of cults.

#17 onlyme

onlyme
  • I hate everyone.

• 4319 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:13 AM

Does Westboro Baptist Church count as a cult? @onlyme

I think it does. The only good thing I got out of that crazy bunch is that we started talking because of / about it, Em-Bo-Bem.

#18 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2015 - 11:27 AM

I think it does. The only good thing I got out of that crazy bunch is that we started talking because of / about it, Em-Bo-Bem.

Yep :p Became friends because we bonded over how disgusted we were. 

Good news is, a lot of the people that we saw in the documentary left, I believe. I know now a lot of the head lady's kids left. 

#19 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 May 2015 - 04:55 PM

How we all feel about cults:
Heqbbp1m3mzJe.gif

Edited by Kaddict, 18 May 2015 - 05:01 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users