• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2015 - 10:49 AM

I saw this lady today on Facebook and I was in absolute awe of her work. She makes very creepy pictures with children as her main models. The pictures under the spoiler tags are among my favourites.

Spoiler

Now, I've always been a horror enthusiast, ever since I was a little kid. Hence why I've been a scare actor for 5 years now and participated and organized several Halloween events. I've never seen an issue with horror or children being used in horror (man, the little kid in me WISHED I was in a horror movie or photoshoot!), so the hateful comments the lady received kind of surprised me. Well, maybe not entirely surprised me, but it still seems kind of weird. A lot of people - religious and atheists - are very much against children used as subjects in horror, claiming it's satanic, will ruin their purity and they even scream "Child abuse!", even though I'm pretty sure those kids agreed with it and probably had loads of fun doing it.

I get why certain people have issues with horror, marking it as satanic - I don't agree at all, but I understand what narrowminded place they're coming from... but why do people get so much extra worked up when it involves children?

So... discuss!

#2 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:08 AM

I guess people will find any reason to bitch. There's nothing wrong with using consenting children for something like this. This is probably stupid, but I just don't like seeing pictures of toddlers asleep, for some reason it makes me think that they're dead X_X, but if someone posted a picture of their sleeping kid on facebook I wouldn't be like "OMG ABOOSE!!!".

Edit: The art by this person is cool as fuck.

#3 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:19 AM

That's a reasonably accurate depiction of what I think of children anyway. Awful things.

#4 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2015 - 11:40 AM

If the kids want to do it then I think it's fine. Some kids aren't scared by that stuff (... which is suspicious). Some kids are creepy that way, which isn't really a bad thing as long as they don't end up like Norman Bates. 

Kids are pretty creepy though. My little sister used to stare (just a blank stare) behind me for the longest time like someone was there. It would scare the hell out of me. 

#5 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

I guess people see children as 'innocent' and don't think they should be used in conjunction with what these people might perceive as evil or satanic or whatever. I love horror and I think her work is bloody brilliant.

Kids are pretty creepy though. My little sister used to stare (just a blank stare) behind me for the longest time like someone was there. It would scare the hell out of me. 

My cousin, when we were little, used to do that to me. Then she'd smile and walk away. Creepy as fuck.

#6 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:10 PM

I guess people see children as 'innocent' and don't think they should be used in conjunction with what these people might perceive as evil or satanic or whatever. I love horror and I think her work is bloody brilliant.

My cousin, when we were little, used to do that to me. Then she'd smile and walk away. Creepy as fuck.

hahaha they're evil. Although, to be honest I was a bit of a devil child too. I used to be home alone at night sometimes with my mother, and I would tell her that there was someone in the backyard just to scare her. 

#7 Bee

Bee
  • 1169 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2015 - 01:25 PM

hahaha they're evil. Although, to be honest I was a bit of a devil child too. I used to be home alone at night sometimes with my mother, and I would tell her that there was someone in the backyard just to scare her. 

That's hilarious. If a child did that to me, I'd just tell them that I am older and so can run faster than they can. Do with that what you wish, child.

#8 IceNine

IceNine
  • 28 posts

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:34 PM

Hmm, I don't know how I feel about this. On one hand, I can see why you'd be for it - if the kid and his/her parents are okay with it, why not? On the other hand, I can see how desensitizing kids to things that they don't really fully understand through violence/gore can be an issue. 

Fun fact: The kid who played Danny in The Shining didn't know it was a horror movie - they convinced him it was some sort of drama.

#9 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2015 - 06:37 PM

I honestly think this is awesome. My dad got me into horror movies when I was about 6. Nowadays I can't watch a horror movie without covering my eyes at least 5 times, but I remember loving them so much to the point I would ask my cousin to rent a movie for me without my parents permission.

#10 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 17 May 2015 - 08:49 PM

I want my kids to be in one of her photoshoots.

#11 Norava

Norava
  • Pro Can Cran

• 547 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:59 AM

This is actually pretty bad ass. 

Could you imagine if you were a kid? Getting to look back and say "look at this scary ass picture of me." 

#12 Tsubaki

Tsubaki
  • 227 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:34 PM

I'm not a huge fan of kids, and don't plan to ever have any.

This however is really cool. If I had a kid I would hope they were into macabre things and enjoy dark spooky stuff.

Like Grant said, how cool would it be to look back at these pictures and have them to show off when they are older?

The kids don't look so young that they have 0 thought process, im sure they all agreed to do this. I don't see how its child abuse in any way shape or form. People are just overly sensitive and need a reason to bitch and moan. Just my opinions of course though, to each their own.

#13 clim

clim
  • 27 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 02:02 PM

Those are some amazing pictures. Definitely would've been ecstatic as a kid to be part of stuff like that.

I suppose why people do is mostly a well-meaning though sometimes misguided protective instinct.

Lots of parents are taught not to subject kids to this or that type of media or situation, figuring it's harmful to them and some go a bit overzealous about that. 
That and children in general are a subject many parents and others have emotional attachment towards. So regardless of what little harm it would actually do, they're deadset on that opinion.

Since opinions based in emotions tend to be stronger and more resistant to change, even if the argument against them is based on good logic. 

Edited by clim, 27 May 2015 - 02:03 PM.

#14 MarieAntoinetta

MarieAntoinetta
  • 4 posts

Posted 07 June 2015 - 12:23 PM

Because people, for whatever reason, will complain about anything that they view as different. God forbid you entertain yourself through fear. Satan is obviously working within you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users