Magic: The Gathering?

mtg magic

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 pikapi314

pikapi314
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:54 PM

Does anyone on here play Magic: The Gathering? 

If so, what type of deck an what colors do you play? 

My  main deck is a green/white cat and equipment deck, while my EDH deck is Blue/White sphinxes 

#2 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:58 PM

Haven't played in ten years but I used to love it. I had themed decks, like an elf deck, a sliver deck, a squirrel deck, a wizard deck that focused on removing cards from my opponents deck, a wall deck, a black deck. Think those were the ones I had when I stopped playing.

#3 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 12:58 PM

I miss my Magic decks, I had an amazing blue/green ramp deck and for-funsies scarecrow deck. I sold all my cards though. Wasn't nearly the amount I spent on the game, lol.

#4 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:01 PM

I sometimes play on the app, but that's about my extent of playing. I can't remember the deck type though..I think it's something like dark/shadow if those are types, I really can't remember. 

#5 seadream454

seadream454
  • 44 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

I love Magic the Gathering. I enjoy playing modern and have Affinity and Twin built for it.

#6 Unmata

Unmata
  • 714 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:21 PM

Wow, there was a time. I liked to play Blue/Black control and milling decks. This was back in the day, pre Ravnica... (in my head that sounded old) *checks when that block was released* 10 YEARS AGO. I also had a goblin deck and an unfair sliver deck because the boys I played with were too elite. 

millstone + grindstone <3

#7 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

Haven't played with actual cards in a small eternity, but do occasionally play on the PS3, 360, or Steam.

Usually run 11udagk.jpgilawlk.jpg.

Occasionally 2mwrmg9.jpg but that's usually between friends or casual play as I have the least experience with it thus far.

Edited by Alexiel, 27 May 2015 - 01:24 PM.

#8 pikapi314

pikapi314
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 04:51 PM

Haven't played in ten years but I used to love it. I had themed decks, like an elf deck, a sliver deck, a squirrel deck, a wizard deck that focused on removing cards from my opponents deck, a wall deck, a black deck. Think those were the ones I had when I stopped playing.

That's cool! I have a friend with a sliver deck, they seem really fun to play but I don't want to seem like I am copying him 

I miss my Magic decks, I had an amazing blue/green ramp deck and for-funsies scarecrow deck. I sold all my cards though. Wasn't nearly the amount I spent on the game, lol.

Yeah, Magic is one of those games you end up spending a ton of money on without fully realizing it (For me at least!) and it's hard to make it all back unless you really get into looking up the worth of the cards and selling them individually. 

I sometimes play on the app, but that's about my extent of playing. I can't remember the deck type though..I think it's something like dark/shadow if those are types, I really can't remember. 

You probably played black, which is themed around swamps and darkness! 

I love Magic the Gathering. I enjoy playing modern and have Affinity and Twin built for it.

Do you play casually with friends or at tournaments? My friends and I just play with whichever cards we happen to have with minimal (if any) rules, so I couldn't even name which cards are even allowed in modern 

Wow, there was a time. I liked to play Blue/Black control and milling decks. This was back in the day, pre Ravnica... (in my head that sounded old) *checks when that block was released* 10 YEARS AGO. I also had a goblin deck and an unfair sliver deck because the boys I played with were too elite. 

millstone + grindstone <3

Oh gosh that was a long time ago! I've only been playing a few years so I can't even remember a time before Ravnica! It's amazing how much the game has changed and also stayed the same in such a long time! 

Haven't played with actual cards in a small eternity, but do occasionally play on the PS3, 360, or Steam.

Usually run 11udagk.jpgilawlk.jpg.

Occasionally 2mwrmg9.jpg but that's usually between friends or casual play as I have the least experience with it thus far.

That is neat, I've been wanting to play online for a while but it seems so silly to spend money buying it on Steam when I already have the actual cards. I don't talk much with many of the people I used to play it with though, so soon online may be my only way to play 

#9 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:02 PM

I played black and sometimes green. I haven't played in uhhhh.... a decade easy, probably longer. It was one of the main reasons why I got into HS. Having minions | a hero to attack reminded me a lot of MTG.

#10 pikapi314

pikapi314
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:36 PM

I played black and sometimes green. I haven't played in uhhhh.... a decade easy, probably longer. It was one of the main reasons why I got into HS. Having minions | a hero to attack reminded me a lot of MTG.

What is HS? I apologize I am not familiar with the acronym 

Something with heroes and minions sounds fun though! 

#11 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:47 PM

What is HS? I apologize I am not familiar with the acronym 

Something with heroes and minions sounds fun though! 

Hearthstone. It's an online card game with the WoW characters. (Apparently, I don't play WoW)

#12 pikapi314

pikapi314
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 May 2015 - 05:59 PM

Hearthstone. It's an online card game with the WoW characters. (Apparently, I don't play WoW)

ahh ok! That sounds fun, I've never played WoW either but I've heard some about it. I may look into playing since card games are more my style than MMORPGS like WoW. 

#13 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:15 PM

I used to play a ton.  Still have some of my cards.  I prefer mono-color decks.  Black is my fave, then blue, then white... I really love all of the colors, though, but I definitely have my preferences.  I love theme decks.  I love deckbuilding.  Loooove deckbuilding.  I stopped playing Type 2 around Kamigawa because I thought it was stupid, I think 9th was my last block.  Haven't invested anything in the game at all since then.

Huh, interesting, it looks like a lot of us stopped playing around the same time.

One of the guys in our Netrunner group buys up lots of old cheap cards from hobby shops and eBay and builds decks out of them.  He has about 60 decks in all right now, sleeved and boxed in identical black UltraPro deck boxes.  When we have a few minutes to kill on the weekends two of us will sit down and grab a random box to play against the other.  It's so much fun ^_^

#14 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:18 PM

Would be awesome if we could somehow add MTG to the next game month. :)

...Skype tournament? 1604hae.jpg lol

#15 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 May 2015 - 06:19 PM

We could play it on OCTGN

#16 pikapi314

pikapi314
  • 27 posts

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:10 PM

I used to play a ton.  Still have some of my cards.  I prefer mono-color decks.  Black is my fave, then blue, then white... I really love all of the colors, though, but I definitely have my preferences.  I love theme decks.  I love deckbuilding.  Loooove deckbuilding.  I stopped playing Type 2 around Kamigawa because I thought it was stupid, I think 9th was my last block.  Haven't invested anything in the game at all since then.

Huh, interesting, it looks like a lot of us stopped playing around the same time.

One of the guys in our Netrunner group buys up lots of old cheap cards from hobby shops and eBay and builds decks out of them.  He has about 60 decks in all right now, sleeved and boxed in identical black UltraPro deck boxes.  When we have a few minutes to kill on the weekends two of us will sit down and grab a random box to play against the other.  It's so much fun ^_^

I am so indecisive I'm nearly incapable of making mono-color decks, I've gone as far as playing a tri-color deck because I couldn't decide which I wanted (I do have a few friends with 5 color decks, but they're either slivers or artifacts so the colors don't matter as much for them). Playing with that many different decks sounds super fun though! I've gathered quite a few cheap cards from flea markets but never enough to make that many decks, I only have 3 usable decks at the moment. 

We could play it on OCTGN

There's a game month on this forum? (I apologize, I am still quite new to the community) 

It does sound super fun to have an online tournament though, either through skype or through an online client like OCTGN! 

The only problem with the skype route would be that some people may no longer have their actual cards to play with. 

#17 Rauul

Rauul
  • Always drunk 坂本

• 1965 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:12 PM

Wooow  ! i play MTG !

dont have an actual deck but i love my Artifac affinity deck (with some mox) 

#18 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:49 PM

Nerrd.

#19 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:20 AM

I am so indecisive I'm nearly incapable of making mono-color decks, I've gone as far as playing a tri-color deck because I couldn't decide which I wanted (I do have a few friends with 5 color decks, but they're either slivers or artifacts so the colors don't matter as much for them). Playing with that many different decks sounds super fun though! I've gathered quite a few cheap cards from flea markets but never enough to make that many decks, I only have 3 usable decks at the moment.

There's a game month on this forum? (I apologize, I am still quite new to the community)
It does sound super fun to have an online tournament though, either through skype or through an online client like OCTGN!
The only problem with the skype route would be that some people may no longer have their actual cards to play with.

I kind of want to start doing the same thing. It's just so much fun to pull out a random deck and sit down and play with it, not knowing anything about it.

I agree about Skype. While it would be awesome to physically play the game with each other, not everyone will have the cards. Plus we could use Skype to talk while we played on OCTGN.

Nerrd.

You like it.

#20 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2015 - 04:23 AM

MTG Online is still going I believe. I think you get starter packs for free? I'll download it again today and check it out, it's been years since I've played.

Also there's the MTG: Duels of the Planeswalkers which I believe have Multiplayer, but they're not free games.

#21 pikapi314

pikapi314
  • 27 posts

Posted 29 May 2015 - 12:26 PM

I agree about Skype. While it would be awesome to physically play the game with each other, not everyone will have the cards. Plus we could use Skype to talk while we played on OCTGN.

Do you think there would be enough interest to have a tournament like that? and how user-friendly is OCTGN? I've heard of it but never personally used it so I am curious, a lot of other free programs I've tried for Magic related things were rather convoluted 

MTG Online is still going I believe. I think you get starter packs for free? I'll download it again today and check it out, it's been years since I've played.

Also there's the MTG: Duels of the Planeswalkers which I believe have Multiplayer, but they're not free games.

Yeah that's the problem with the official MTG online games.The company does need to make money, but it would be nice if there was some way to copy your physical card collection into your online collection without the need to pay more money. 

#22 Nymh

Nymh
  • Keeper of Secrets

• 4626 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:38 PM

Do you think there would be enough interest to have a tournament like that? and how user-friendly is OCTGN? I've heard of it but never personally used it so I am curious, a lot of other free programs I've tried for Magic related things were rather convoluted 

It's OK, there is some downloading necessary before you can play any particular game but it's cool because you can play anything and you don't have to spend any money.

#23 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 29 May 2015 - 07:48 PM

For whatever reason it was super big in my Boy Scout Troop lol and that was forever ago.

Of course I loved making a blue deck, but I really liked the idea of Slivers.

#24 pikapi314

pikapi314
  • 27 posts

Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:03 AM

It's OK, there is some downloading necessary before you can play any particular game but it's cool because you can play anything and you don't have to spend any money.

ah ok! That sounds neat! If there's enough interest in a tournament it sounds like it could be super fun! 

For whatever reason it was super big in my Boy Scout Troop lol and that was forever ago.

Of course I loved making a blue deck, but I really liked the idea of Slivers.

Nearly every single boy scout that I know plays Magic, I have no idea why but it seems to be really big with them. I can only think of one boy scout I know that DOESN'T play Magic, and my entire friend group was made up of them until recently. 

#25 Kat

Kat
  • KatDog 5ever

• 2098 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2015 - 09:44 AM

I just logged into my MTGO account, can't believe it's still active and my collection's intact! I remembered why I stopped playing though, the client is shite..

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: mtg, magic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users