• Please log in to reply
619 replies to this topic

#601 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 July 2016 - 02:01 PM

Sanders said he would endorse her only if she adopted some of his policies.

The tuition thing was one of the ones she agreed to take.

sell out

#602 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 July 2016 - 07:29 PM

sell out

lmao

#603 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 July 2016 - 08:54 PM

Sanders said he would endorse her only if she adopted some of his policies.

The tuition thing was one of the ones she agreed to take.

It's just so shitty that she just flip flops with no regards at all. First a $15 minimum wage was too high, now she's for it. First tuition free state college was unreasonable, now she's going to champion it. First she was against gay marriage, now she has rainbow H's every damn where. I hate politics sfm rn.

#604 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 08:34 PM

Reports are coming in that Melania Trumpā€™s speech at the RNC ripped off Michelle Obamaā€™s 2008 speech. OMG, thatā€™d be hilarious if thatā€™s true. XD

#605 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 18 July 2016 - 11:16 PM

Reports are coming in that Melania Trumpā€™s speech at the RNC ripped off Michelle Obamaā€™s 2008 speech. OMG, thatā€™d be hilarious if thatā€™s true. XD

It is lol

#606 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2016 - 05:39 AM

Congressman Steve King: whites aided civilization more than other 'sub-groups'

Dear Steve King: Here are some things not invented by white people

#607 Tetiel

Tetiel
  • 11533 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2016 - 07:43 AM

Dear Steve King,

Peanut Butter. That is all.

XOXO

#608 Coops

Coops
  • šŸŒ§ļøšŸŒ©ļøšŸŒ§ļø

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2016 - 03:12 PM

I wonder if Clinton wins, will Bill be reduced to presumptive and trite duties typically assigned to the First Lady? 

#609 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 19 July 2016 - 04:05 PM

I wonder if Clinton wins, will Bill be reduced to presumptive and trite duties typically assigned to the First Lady? 

I hope so.

#610 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2016 - 11:49 AM

giant-meteor.jpg?w=750

Now that's a candidate I can get behind. 

#611 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:02 AM

According to the leaked DNC e-mails, Bernie didn't even have a chance:

https://www.theguard...-bernie-sanders

http://observer.com/...ined-democracy/

He won 46% of the pledged delegates despite his own party actively working against him. I wonder if not having that bias there would have pushed him over the top. I think it for sure would have affected the amount of super delegates.

I wonder how screwed Bernie's donors must feel now that their donations (and likely names) are going to Clinton, especially in light of all of this.

#612 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:10 AM

Hillary is such a snake...Well, to be fair, all politicians are snakes.

Totally worth my 4000th post.

#613 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:16 AM

Hillary is such a snake...Well, to be fair, all politicians are snakes.

Totally worth my 4000th post.

IMO, two-party systems don't allow people to register a strong enough protest vote against despicable behavior like this.

For example, in Canada there are three "major" political parties where the balance of power shuffles around them. If the left one pisses people off, they'll move to the center one. Right one pisses them off? Move to the center. Center one pisses you off? Move to the left one or right one depending on your political leaning. It keeps everyone on their toes. Even when majority governments form, the time between elections seem to be about as long as the presidential ones anyway.

#614 CaptainDantes

CaptainDantes
  • 1104 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:36 AM

IMO, two-party systems don't allow people to register a strong enough protest vote against despicable behavior like this.

For example, in Canada there are three "major" political parties where the balance of power shuffles around them. If the left one pisses people off, they'll move to the center one. Right one pisses them off? Move to the center. Center one pisses you off? Move to the left one or right one depending on your political leaning. It keeps everyone on their toes. Even when majority governments form, the time between elections seem to be about as long as the presidential ones anyway.

Yes and no. There's something more legitimate about a 51-49% win than a 34-33-33% win. IMO. Even the electoral college - though many people hate it - is designed to give you a definite winner.

#615 ShadowLink64

ShadowLink64
  • 16735 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2016 - 10:52 AM

Yes and no. There's something more legitimate about a 51-49% win than a 34-33-33% win. IMO. Even the electoral college - though many people hate it - is designed to give you a definite winner.

With a 34-33-33 vote you get a minority government in power. That situation requires that they get the support from one of the other parties to pass bills in the House of Commons. It's not the case where the party that gets 34% has all of the say. If they cannot get enough support from another party for important votes (such as for the budget), an election is automatically triggered. The process is repeated until a clear winner is found (ie. majority government) or two parties agree to co-operate and form a coalition government.

The "lack of legitimacy" is addressed by still giving the minority government the freedom to govern, but providing an easy avenue to hold them accountable (most minority governments here do not last more than two years).

#616 Coops

Coops
  • šŸŒ§ļøšŸŒ©ļøšŸŒ§ļø

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

Yes. Exactly.

Between voter suppression laws, gerrymandering and other tactics both parties engage in, it's just a shitty system for the voter to try to navigate. I remember like six five years ago I saw a video cartoon that broke down why two party systems are fundamentally flawed and unfair. It used animals as candidates lol. I can't remember what it was called. I'll have to try to find it.

Edit: I FOUND IT.

#617 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2016 - 04:08 PM

Under the electoral college, if no candidate receives a majority of electors (270+), then the House of Representatives votes to select the winner. To me, that's one of the least legitimate aspects of our political system...

The animal guy (CGP Grey) also has a good video on the best replacement for first-past-the-post, ranked choice/instant runoff/alternative voting:

#618 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 July 2016 - 06:27 PM

Under the electoral college, if no candidate receives a majority of electors (270+), then the House of Representatives votes to select the winner. To me, that's one of the least legitimate aspects of our political system...

The animal guy (CGP Grey) also has a good video on the best replacement for first-past-the-post, ranked choice/instant runoff/alternative voting:

It's funny to me that America invades countries under the guise of ~bringing them democracy~ when we're not even a democracy.

#619 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 July 2016 - 03:14 PM

Welp. Looking forward to the debates.

#620 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • šŸ“Aioli-AmericanšŸ“

• 9425 posts

Users Awards