TV with built in DVD player issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 spotify95

spotify95
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:11 AM

Hi there,

I have a slight issue with my 15 inch TV that I have in my room. It used to be my main TV for my room, until I upgraded to a 29 inch TV. The 15 inch TV is now in use as a computer monitor.

Now, the problem I have: about 3 years ago, I noticed that the DVD player in built the (15 inch) TV wouldn't work. The problem remains today - if I insert a DVD or CD, it loads the disc, then says "No Disc" and spits the disc back out. This happens on DVD's, CD's and CD-R's. 

Everything else on the TV (including the Freeview tuner and the VGA input) works fine. Just the DVD is not working.

Is there any way to get the DVD part fixed? I tried a "cleaning disc" and that didn't load either (said no disc). Any help would be appreciated.

#2 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2015 - 07:17 AM

If the drive is replaceable, get a new drive.

#3 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2015 - 08:26 AM

What Sweeney said.

I don't know much about these anymore but I know that the popularity of these style machines kind of died out because the DVD players burned out or just broke long before the TV did. Most of the time, I don't think you can replace or really repair the DVD part easily without giving up your TV for a while.

Go ask a TV repair man in your area. 

#4 spotify95

spotify95
  • 315 posts

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:45 AM

If the drive is replaceable, get a new drive.

Thank you for the advice. :) Chances are a new drive would cost more than the cost of a standard 15 inch PC monitor (what the TV is being used for at the moment)...

What Sweeney said.

I don't know much about these anymore but I know that the popularity of these style machines kind of died out because the DVD players burned out or just broke long before the TV did. Most of the time, I don't think you can replace or really repair the DVD part easily without giving up your TV for a while.

Go ask a TV repair man in your area. 

Thanks for the advice - I didn't use the DVD component that much and unfortunately the DVD error was discovered literally days after the warranty had expired! I might try taking the thing apart, to see if I can clean the laser or see if I can find the fault - otherwise I might see if I can find a cheap DVD drive to replace it. Do you think a PC/laptop DVD drive would work as a DVD drive for the TV?

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 July 2015 - 09:53 AM

...wait, what?

Why do you need to use the DVD player in the TV if it's hooked up to a computer? Doesn't your computer have a DVD drive?

Even if it doesn't, it's probably cheaper and easier to fit a drive into the PC than the monitor.

#6 spotify95

spotify95
  • 315 posts

Posted 08 July 2015 - 02:14 AM

...wait, what?

Why do you need to use the DVD player in the TV if it's hooked up to a computer? Doesn't your computer have a DVD drive?

Even if it doesn't, it's probably cheaper and easier to fit a drive into the PC than the monitor.

Just in case anything happens and I need to use the TV as a TV again, rather than an external monitor. Me being a perfectionist likes everything working... ;)

Yeah my laptop does have a DVD drive, which I use a lot of the time. Maybe I shouldn't bother repairing the TV?

#7 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 July 2015 - 05:23 AM

You got it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users