• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 02:45 AM

THIS THREAD IS ALL ABOUT THE AMAZING STEVEN UNIVERSE!

Please keep spoilers in the spoiler field.

Let's start this off... Who is your favorite character so far?

My favorite has to be Garnet. She is so calm and collected, always thinks before she talks/strikes and is direct.

What is your favorite song?

Mine has to be synchronize/sugelite
https://m.soundcloud...iverse-sugelite

#2 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:12 AM

Why is this cartoon about a fat kid so popular?

#3 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:34 AM

Why is this cartoon about a fat kid so popular?

It gives tumblr social justice boners.
Spoiler

#4 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:55 AM

It gives tumblr social justice boners.

Spoiler

Kind of an ass hole reply.

#5 Eggie

Eggie
  • 317 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:16 AM

I decided to give it a try and watched one episode...and I have to say, Drakonid's response is shockingly accurate. Sorry OP.

#6 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:18 AM

Top score, Drak. I tried watching an episode or two -- keyword here being tried.

#7 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 06:19 AM

What's it about?

#8 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:23 AM

This show is one of those thing where if you come with a bad attitude, you leave with a bad attitude because at that point, nothing can change your attitude. I also feel like if you don't get this cartoon and you're near/past the intended 12-24 age group, you either haven't seen enough cartoons to appreciate the evolution from where it was or just don't have the taste at all. 

tl;dr

You have it in you to enjoy it or you don't.

I hated season 1 because it's all gratuitous introductory/world-establishing episodes, but season 2 is where the charm that got me to keep going in season 1 really shines through.

Spoiler--ish spoilered non-spoiler scene.

Spoiler

#9 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:48 AM

This show is one of those thing where if you come with a bad attitude, you leave with a bad attitude because at that point, nothing can change your attitude. I also feel like if you don't get this cartoon and you're near/past the intended 12-24 age group, you either haven't seen enough cartoons to appreciate the evolution from where it was or just don't have the taste at all. 

tl;dr

I hated season 1 because it's all gratuitous introductory/world-establishing episodes, but season 2 is where the charm that got me to keep going in season 1 really shines through.

Spoiler

Thanks you.

This show is amazing because it has real characters. Real situations that people deal with in the world. It's storyline over the whole series keeps you drawn back to it. Imagine watching Breaking Bad, you are hooked because of the characters and the story. It's the same exact feeling, if not more that I get from Steven Universe.

This show isn't just about a chubby kid, it's about a family learning what really means the most to them. How they can take the hits from inside and outside their circle, and decide to try and continue on.

If you watch only a couple episodes, you are doing it wrong. The first few episodes aren't going to tell you everything about the show.

Edited by Megazord, 22 July 2015 - 07:50 AM.

#10 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3935 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:08 AM

Replace any of these nouns with ponies and this sounds like the mlp cj

#11 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:22 AM

Thanks you.

This show is amazing because it has real characters. Real situations that people deal with in the world. It's storyline over the whole series keeps you drawn back to it. Imagine watching Breaking Bad, you are hooked because of the characters and the story. It's the same exact feeling, if not more that I get from Steven Universe.

This show isn't just about a chubby kid, it's about a family learning what really means the most to them. How they can take the hits from inside and outside their circle, and decide to try and continue on.

If you watch only a couple episodes, you are doing it wrong. The first few episodes aren't going to tell you everything about the show.

Yeah, don't worry about about justifying the show to the naysayers anymore; it's pointless. It's just as pointless as other people trying to convince to me that game of thrones is good even though I only watched the first two episodes and thought it was just boring, overhyped Shakespearean crap.

Replace any of these nouns with ponies and this sounds like the mlp cj

To be fair, what doesn't apply to your statement above?

#12 SuperDuperPuppu

SuperDuperPuppu
  • 148 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:23 AM

This show is great! I started out not liking it, but it really grew on me.

Can we please just watch this garnet clip in awe? (7mil views +) It gives me goosebumps everytime I see it.

https://www.youtube....h?v=0q-RSGsTI-0

Spoilers Alert!

Edited by SuperDuperPuppu, 22 July 2015 - 08:28 AM.

#13 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:27 AM

i've never heard of this before. but i must say the art is really awesome. :o the plot sounds interesting too. i'm gonna watch this.

#14 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:28 AM

I've watched some episodes because of my cousin, and it kinda reminds me of Adventure Time. I really dislike it.

#15 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 803 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 11:57 AM

Kind of an ass hole reply.

That doesn't make me any less right. 

tl;dr

Spoiler

Hold your horses, I kind of like the show...

Thanks you.

I'm sorry this thread didn't turn into the Steven Universe circlejerk you wanted.

#16 Wynd

Wynd
  • 397 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 01:36 PM

Steven Universe was made by a women named Rebecca Sugar, who also worked Adventure Time (she no longer works on it.) That's why you can probably see similarities to the shows. She's really famous for making really good songs for both shows. Especially for Adventure Time. Although she doesn't work on Adventure Time plot wise anymore, she is invited all the time to making songs for it.

The show revolves around "gems" who are asexual beings. The whole show is mostly taken place in a city called "Beach City" which has a ton of references, just like the show in general. As put by the creator, the gems you see (aside from Steven) are mere projections of the gem in human-esk form. They don't have a gender, really, but they do have pronouns in which they identify with. All of which (as of right now) identify as female. Gems didn't come from Earth, either. They are all from "Homeworld." Rose and the gems (however they met) love Earth and have been protecting it for thousands of years. Steven is a boy, who's mother was a gem (Rose Quartz) and his father was a human. Thus when he was born, he is half human, half gem. Gems cannot, essentially, normally give birth. His mother had to give up her physical form to create Steven (there's really no part in the show that goes more into detail, but I'm sure Sugar will provide it sooner-or-later.)

During the show the gems really have to deal with the loss of their leader (Rose Quartz) and have to take care of Steven. They don't really know how to take care of him since he is a child and they raised him when he was very little. They come face-to-face with a lot of difficult subjects and other gems that attempt to exploit earth.

The show is actually really mature, especially for being on Cartoon Network. Most of the stuff on there is just barely passable by CN, but like Sugar had said "They let us do anything with the show as long as we can explain why it's important." Most of the stuff can really tug at your emotions because that's exactly what Sugar wants. She and Ian actively try to make the show emotional and loving towards everybody of all ages and genders and that's exactly why the show is amazing to me. Steven Universe brings a lot of things together you wouldn't normally see. The show isn't just a "cater to Tumblr." It's a lot more. The explanation above is just my mere wording. If you want a more reasonable plot explanation, then google it.

I really do love the show. It's tugged at me a lot. Especially the last "Steven Bomb." If you only watch the first few episodes, you're not going to get the full experience, though I do understand if you don't like it then. The beginning is slow to most people, but later it's a lot better and the art does improve greatly in the middle of the show.

Edited by Wundy, 22 July 2015 - 01:42 PM.

#17 Ryuko

Ryuko
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 03:55 PM

Do you know me =(

#18 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 05:46 PM

Steven Universe is a great show if you give it a chance. The balance between character- and world-building is impressive.

#19 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:19 PM

How dare these people talk about and enjoy Steven Universe in the Steven Universe thread!! Better come in and tell them the show is shit even though I can simply not post in the thread

Anyways, I wanna get into this show but I've put it off for way too long and now there are so many episodes.... I just look at the episode list and think holy crap its gonna take me years to catch up if I watch it at a casual pace!! I'll watch it soooomeday lmao. But dang Amethyst is probably my favourite character just going by her design though!! She's so cute!! Garnet's pretty cool too from what I've seen :0

#20 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:28 PM

How dare these people talk about and enjoy Steven Universe in the Steven Universe thread!! Better come in and tell them the show is shit even though I can simply not post in the thread

giphy.gif

#21 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:52 PM

giphy.gif

You don't see me shit up sports threads even though I don't give a single shit about them lol

#22 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:54 PM

You don't see me shit up sports threads even though I don't give a single shit about them lol

So what? If you want to shit up sports thread, go for it. You're free to share your opinion.

#23 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 07:56 PM

So what? If you want to shit up sports thread, go for it. You're free to share your opinion.

So I can make myself look like an ass? Thanks but I think I'll pass

#24 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:00 PM

And why would you care what a bunch of assholes on the internet think? You likely won't meet most of us.

#25 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 July 2015 - 08:02 PM

It's the internet, who cares?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users