Quantcast

Photo

No, but really, anyone interested in a Terraria server?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2015 - 10:44 AM

@Sweeney this might be a stupid question, but would the server be free or would you have to pay for one of those server hosting things like on minecraft?

#27 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2015 - 11:59 AM

@Sweeney this might be a stupid question, but would the server be free or would you have to pay for one of those server hosting things like on minecraft?

Probably a paid dedicated server. The game comes with a server program which is free, but a person would have to keep that running constantly.

#28 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:00 PM

Probably a paid dedicated server. The game comes with a server program which is free, but a person would have to keep that running constantly.

Oh, I see. But a paid server is probably not so expensive, right?

#29 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:07 PM

Oh, I see. But a paid server is probably not so expensive, right?

I'd think not. Probably no more than what a Minecraft server would cost. :p

#30 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2015 - 12:10 PM

I'd think not. Probably no more than what a Minecraft server would cost. :p

That's what I imagine, seeing as Minecraft is a lot heavier than Terraria, and the game itself is probably more complex (I'm just guessing, since Terraria is 2d :p). I found a place that costed 1 dollar per player slot, if all of them are like that, I'm up for a server :D

#31 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2015 - 01:28 PM

Yeah, hosting seems reasonable as you don't necessarily need dedicated space. Especially since we'd be running it vanilla and it doesn't appear to be too resource heavy.

#32 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 01 August 2015 - 05:52 PM

I don't know if this game runs on my computer, but I do own it.

#33 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:02 PM

I don't know if this game runs on my computer, but I do own it.

Should do, it seems like something that should run well on anything reasonable :p

@Elindoril Do you think it'd be a problem just having one world? It seems like a lot of people/lets-players use two or more to gather resources...
And also, would people be able to bring existing characters to the fresh server?

#34 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:15 PM

Should do, it seems like something that should run well on anything reasonable :p

@Elindoril Do you think it'd be a problem just having one world? It seems like a lot of people/lets-players use two or more to gather resources...
And also, would people be able to bring existing characters to the fresh server?

I'm on a laptop that can't even run morrowind

#35 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:17 PM

I'm on a laptop that can't even run morrowind

http://www.systemreq...temId=11155&p=r

#36 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2015 - 06:52 PM

I think we should vote on whether you can bring existing characters or not if/when this happens.

If we allow existing characters, might as well make everyone use their own secondary world for resources.

#37 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:03 PM

I think we should vote on whether you can bring existing characters or not if/when this happens.
If we allow existing characters, might as well make everyone use their own secondary world for resources.

But then what's the point in playing together if people bring their existing characters? =/ Obviously, it's unenforcable anyway... Idk.

#38 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 August 2015 - 07:59 PM

But then what's the point in playing together if people bring their existing characters? =/ Obviously, it's unenforcable anyway... Idk.

Iunno, you mentioned it.

Also, when I played there was some sort of plugin that made it impossible to bring stuff from the outside.

#39 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2015 - 05:33 AM

Iunno, you mentioned it.
Also, when I played there was some sort of plugin that made it impossible to bring stuff from the outside.

Yeah, that would be using a tshock server. I came across that in my researches last night :p I guess I need to actually look into it, if it's going to happen.

#40 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:09 AM

It really depends on how many people we have on the server. If we play on a large world then there's going to be a ton of ore, but it'll still be pretty scarce if we somehow get a lot of people playing. We can easily start a fodder world to get materials and build farms if we really need to.

I'd say no to existing characters unless you just started the game with them. I have all end-game gear and tools so it would make everything up to the end of the game extremely trivial and probably ruin a bit of the fun. The only thing I'd probably bring over for myself are the pets that are strictly vanity and not do anything useful.

#41 Chameleon

Chameleon
  • vampire or somesuch

• 627 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2015 - 09:55 AM

I was going to ask how it's like Minecraft until @Elindoril posted.  It looks interesting...  is it like Minecraft in that it's a one time pay thing?

#42 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2015 - 10:18 AM

I was going to ask how it's like Minecraft until @Elindoril posted.  It looks interesting...  is it like Minecraft in that it's a one time pay thing?

Yeah you just buy the game and that's it.

#43 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:01 AM

Although, apparently, it's also possible to not buy the game :p

#44 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 August 2015 - 11:21 AM

Although, apparently, it's also possible to not buy the game :p

But who justifies piracy?  :shifty:

#45 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 August 2015 - 04:53 AM

So, I'm like 80% decided on making a server. It should be p. cheap.

I'll probably hook it up this evening.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users