Quantcast

Photo

Kissing your kids on the mouth

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: Kissing your kids on the mouth (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Should you kiss your kids on the mouth?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:07 AM

This is a topic that was brought up in my surroundings and people can't stop arguing about it: kissing your kids on the mouth.

Apparently, some American psychologist argued it's traumatizing, and his comments sparked this debate.

Did you kiss your parents on the mouth when you were a kid? If you have kids, do you kiss them on the mouth? Why or why not?

I've always kissed my parents and grandparents on the mouth as a kid and never thought anything of it, I was so used to it. My husband was shocked to find that out. I'd still kiss my children on the lips. I kiss some good friends on the lips as well.

What's your opinion?

#2 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:09 AM

do you use tongue? O_o

i've never seen people kiss lip-to-lip tbh. people here don't even hold hands (malaysia). borrrinnggg.

#3 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

Under like 10 ok maybe, but older than that mouth kissing is off the table for any relatives.

#4 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:10 AM

do you use tongue? O_o

i've never seen people kiss lip-to-lip tbh. people here don't even hold hands (malaysia). borrrinnggg.

Loool, no. Just a peck.

#5 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:12 AM

I kissed my parents when I was a kid and I kiss my kids now. When they're older, hugs will suffice. I didn't know it was even a thing to argue about besides maybe cultural differences like with @Fikri. But a moral thing? Nah. That's silly.

#6 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:15 AM

I kissed my parents when I was a kid and I kiss my kids now. When they're older, hugs will suffice. I didn't know it was even a thing to argue about besides maybe cultural differences like with @Fikri. But a moral thing? Nah. That's silly.

Yeah, I didn't realize either until this. Turns out my husband even never saw his siblings or parents naked, ever. So weird to hear when I at 21 still have no problem running around my mom's house naked when I'm staying the weekend!

#7 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:17 AM

Kids are innocent, that's basically the same as kissing the parents on the cheek.
I've never kissed my parents on the mouth, and will probably not do it with my kids either, but I see nothing wrong.

Unless they're like 10, that's really awkward.

#8 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:25 AM

Nope. It's weird. I'm only kissing someone I'm either banging or dating on the lips.

That's fucking weird.

#9 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:26 AM

Nope. It's weird. I'm only kissing someone I'm either banging or dating on the lips.

That's fucking weird.

What's weird about a Mom or Dad kissing their little kid? I am genuinely curious. 
I mean after a certain age sure, but what about little babies, toddlers, small children... There's nothing sexual about it so I just don't see how it's "fucking weird". 

#10 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:27 AM

Nah, I kiss my parents/relatives on the cheeks or hug them. I think I kissed my parents on the lips until I was like 6 maybe lol I can't remember.

#11 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:35 AM

What's weird about a Mom or Dad kissing their little kid? I am genuinely curious. 
I mean after a certain age sure, but what about little babies, toddlers, small children... There's nothing sexual about it so I just don't see how it's "fucking weird". 

Sorry. I cannot imagine doing it myself. 

For me, kissing on the lips is an exclusively romantic gesture. I couldn't associate an action like that with my children regardless of whether or not it's sexual.

#12 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:38 AM

Yet again people sexualizing something that started off as familial.

It's been hypothesized that kissing comes from mothers feeding their children.

We mimic that when we kiss.

So feel free to kiss whomever you bang, date, whatever but it's the same thing as sexualizing breasts.

They aren't made to be sexual only your genitals were intended that way by nature.

I kissed my parents on the mouth til I was in school. My grandma straight up still kisses my face which sometimes makes me feel weird but I know she doesn't mean it that way at all.

My three year old nephew kisses my face but he also kisses trees, my dog, himself, his toys and all that good stuff.

I love kissing my partner; I find it amazing and an easy way to connect to someone if you want to. I can easily decipher a romantic passionate necking session from when my parents used to peck me on the lips. Both are bonding but in totally different ways.

#13 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:39 AM

Sorry. I cannot imagine doing it myself. 

For me, kissing on the lips is an exclusively romantic gesture. I couldn't associate an action like that with my children regardless of whether or not it's sexual.

Okay well that's fine, but I want you to know that you saying it's "fucking weird" actually does offend me. I understand people do things differently in different countries and cultures but your comment sounded very ignorant. You've made it sound like something completely normal and acceptable in my country is perverse. Where I come from there is nothing romantic or sexual about giving your child a kiss goodnight, or a kiss to greet them. It is not emotionally damaging to them,  usually my little ones are the ones asking for a kiss. :/ I respect that it's not something you would do, but it wouldn't hurt you to try and use nicer language when referring to people who do. That's all. 

#14 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:39 AM

what if your kid needs cpr? :/

#15 Grumpy

Grumpy
  • 234 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:40 AM

I don't see an issue with it until they get to like puberty +. It's not sexual. There's no tongue. It's a peck on the lips as a gesture of affection.

#16 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:41 AM

what if your kid needs cpr? :/

RIP 

#17 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:52 AM

The thread asked for my opinion and grilled me when it was different from everyone else's...?

It's extremely weird for me. I didn't tell you to stop kissing your kids. I didn't attribute anything negative to kissing your children. I don't think there is anything wrong with kissing your children.

I guess that argument only works for some people here lol

RIP 

Yes Kate. I'd let my kid DIE if he needed CPR. Thanks for that.

#18 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:54 AM

I've always gotten pecks from family members. It's no biggie. Not once have I ever equated it with romantic/sexual kissing. It's just a totally different ball-game. Hell, I kiss friends when I'm in a good mood and it doesn't mean anything. And that's way more than a peck.

#19 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:03 AM

That's fucking weird.

The thread asked for my opinion and grilled me when it was different from everyone else's...?

It's extremely weird for me. I didn't tell you to stop kissing your kids. I didn't attribute anything negative to kissing your children. I don't think there is anything wrong with kissing your children.

I guess that argument only works for some people here lol

Yes Kate. I'd let my kid DIE if he needed CPR. Thanks for that.

The issue I believe is that your first post says that the act itself is weird. Not that it was just your opinion. You added a personal anecdote but it wasn't taken that the entire post was merely just your opinion. You attributed it being weird which is negative. Now that you've cleared it up that is different but your first post didn't share that :( 

and Kate saying 'RIP' seems to me that it was because Fikri's post was hyperbolic (from what I read) not that you would actually let your children die...we can all get a lil crazy in here but very few of us are actually psychotic (could easily be wrong.) 

#20 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:04 AM

I've never been a fan of kissing any family members anywhere, I think I'm fairly dead inside.

#21 Trichomes

Trichomes
  • 🐱 💖 🍄

• 1781 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:10 AM

I don't think there's anything wrong with innocently kissing your kids on the lips, but it's still always made me a little uncomfortable, so it's probably not something I'd choose to do with my own children.

#22 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:11 AM

I should also add that here people kiss on the cheek even if they just met. So some people consider kissing on their kids' lips something more familiar(?) than on the cheek. I think. I don't really know. What I'm trying to say is that we're very affectionate people :p

#23 Romy

Romy

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:11 AM

The issue I believe is that your first post says that the act itself is weird. Not that it was just your opinion. You added a personal anecdote but it wasn't taken that the entire post was merely just your opinion. You attributed it being weird which is negative. Now that you've cleared it up that is different but your first post didn't share that :(

and Kate saying 'RIP' seems to me that it was because Fikri's post was hyperbolic (from what I read) not that you would actually let your children die...we can all get a lil crazy in here but very few of us are actually psychotic (could easily be wrong.) 

So...in order to not offend everyone, I have to preface everything with "It's my opinion that...."?

And be sure not to say that a particular action is completely foreign to me? 

The OP is specifically asking for our opinions, Everything I said is within that context. I'm not forcing my views onto anyone. 

#24 Chappy

Chappy
  • Cat Savage

• 2341 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:12 AM

It's not weird if I see it, but I'd never do that. Nor have.
My parents weren't really affectionate and even now my mom hates kissing me on the cheek.
Like my mom doesn't like sharing straws or spoons.(knife is okay)

So to me it's awkward just kissing people that aren't my family a kiss on the cheek. (I do to Romy's parents but still feels awkward *shuffles feet*)
That being said, I prolly wouldn't do that with my kids. (Maybe like up to 3 years old) Maybe.

#25 Rauul

Rauul
  • Always drunk 坂本

• 1965 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:16 AM

my parents never kissed me on the mouth, and i will never kiss one of my kids on the mouth (if i have one someday) i dont think its weird, some people of my country do it, and its normal, but for me, i prefer a kiss on cheeks, forehead, head, etc

and if someone of your kid, or a strange, need CPR, willl do it, that isnt a kiss, its just a ventilation (mouth to mouth breathe) to SAVE a life.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users