Quantcast

Photo

Kissing your kids on the mouth

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

Poll: Kissing your kids on the mouth (44 member(s) have cast votes)

Should you kiss your kids on the mouth?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Rickster

Rickster
  • 386 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:18 AM

I kissed my parents on the lips until i was around six and then it just stopped, my brother and sister did the same thing, it wasn't said that we couldn't, I think maybe we just got to the point of understanding in our society it was something lovers mainly do. There isn't anything weird about it, my dad is a homophobe yet he let me and brother kiss him on the lips because thats what we did with our mom too and we were just kids. kissing actually has no sexual value other than establishing a connection with someone. Me and my family are not immediately connected to any cultures outside of america, that is to say we, my grandparents and their grandparents were not immigrants. this is just something that people do and based on my research done in multiple sociology and psychology classes this is something that is much more common in america than it is absent. Neither is wrong or right its just something that is. However, by stigmatizing it as something that is only done between lovers, has potential draw backs that not stigmatizing it doesn't, if kids believe that it is only something down between lovers yet they see their peers doing it, it can create a lot of problems such as teasing, bullying, or even just general confusion to a small child. where as not saying anything about it one way or the other, or just saying that it is acceptable will have no adverse effect.

Edited by Silvermajra, 27 August 2015 - 11:19 AM.

#27 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:33 AM

@Romy I straight up told you that your comment offended me, not your opinion. I don't care that you wouldn't do it, it's the fact that you said "that's fucking weird". I couldn't possibly care less that your opinion is different than mine, it's just the blatant ignorance and the lack of consideration that pissed me off.

#28 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:45 AM

@Romy I straight up told you that your comment offended me, not your opinion. I don't care that you wouldn't do it, it's the fact that you said "that's fucking weird". I couldn't possibly care less that your opinion is different than mine, it's just the blatant ignorance and the lack of consideration that pissed me off.

What phrases am I allowed to use in order to express the same sentiment?

I also think eating hedgehogs is fucking weird. Does that offend you too?

#29 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 27 August 2015 - 11:54 AM

What phrases am I allowed to use in order to express the same sentiment?

I also think eating hedgehogs is fucking weird. Does that offend you too?

You got offended when I said RIP to fikri so please don't act like I am the sensitive one. If someone was rude as shit about something normal in your culture you'd probably be offended too. You could have stuck with your first sentence and skipped being insensitive altogether. I simply told you it offended me and why, how about instead of telling me what I should and shouldn't be offended by, you educate yourself and try not to be so insensitive and ignorant towards people.

#30 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:02 PM

So...in order to not offend everyone, I have to preface everything with "It's my opinion that...."?

That's exactly how debating works. Agree to disagree. Not agree to offend others.

#31 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

what if your kid needs cpr?  :/

Kissing and CPR are two different things. Unless you've met someone who breathes into you when they kiss, inflating you like a balloon, I couldn't put those two in the same realm.

That's exactly how debating works. Agree to disagree. Not agree to offend others.

But this topic is in Chit-Chat. He's allowed to offend people in any style he chooses.

#32 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:06 PM

I didn't do it growing up, nor I ever know anyone who did it when I was a kid. It wasn't a thing here due to our culture I suppose, even though we greet people (friends, acquaintances or even someone we just met) with kisses on the cheek. But it's something that nowadays is a bit more common. I do it with my kids and my niece, it wasn't something I thought about doing it "I'm gonna start to kiss my kids on the mouth now", it just happens. It's just another way to show affection, and don't see anything wrong with it. But I admit it's a little weird to me to see some parents still kissing their kids on the mouth when they are almost pre-teens.

#33 WeirwoodTreeHugger

WeirwoodTreeHugger
  • 89 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:10 PM

Lol, when I was a kid I had 2 best friends. They were sisters. And me and my sister noticed something very weird that they used to do. Whenever their dad would come around, they'd give him full on overly long kisses right on the mouth. We were always very creeped out by it.

Come to find out years later, we heard that it was alleged he molested their older sister. So.

No. Don't do that. Cheek kisses are fine. Maybe mouth kisses when you're a little kid but once they hit like...7 and older its time to cut it out.

Edited by WeirwoodTreeHugger, 27 August 2015 - 12:10 PM.

#34 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:10 PM

But this topic is in Chit-Chat. He's allowed to offend people in any style he chooses.

No kidding. The guy thinks it's weird. Give him a break, I think it's weird too. Am I next to be crucified?

Much ado about nothing.

If anyone here thinks it's acceptable that's cool too. You do you and what works for your family, regardless of the country you live in.

#35 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

I thought the topic would be too light for the actual debate subforum and didn't forsee it would trigger these kinds of responses. If a mod thinks it's better to move this topic over there, I'm fine with that. Nor do I think the fact that this is in chit-chat is a free pass to be offensive to anyone, especially considering it's explicitly stated against the Codex rules.

Romy asked how he should respond in these kinds of situations, I responded. Simple as that.

#36 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:15 PM

Ya and if you don't like marriage equality shout it from the roof tops and while we are here does anyone hate gingers or black people? lol being an asshole to other people and not caring about their feelings is fun yay!

That is how you sound ^

#37 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:20 PM

Ya and if you don't like marriage equality shout it from the roof tops and while we are here does anyone hate gingers or black people? lol being an asshole to other people and not caring about their feelings is fun yay!

That is how you sound ^

Woah. 

Whose mouth are you trying to put words into? 

#38 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:23 PM

Woah. 

Whose mouth are you trying to put words into?

I was responding to basically anyone who says it's acceptable to insult people because their culture is different. If the shoe fits, wear it. I'm not going to sit and be told what I can and can't be offended by and listen to people justify someone being blatantly rude. The fact remains, it offended me, it was not a nice comment, it came across as very ignorant. I shared my feelings on that comment in the hopes that in the future he'd be considerate of other people's feelings. If not, whatever I won't lose any sleep at night. I guess ignorance really is bliss :)

#39 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:24 PM

That is how you sound ^

I don't really like gypsies. Just taking the opportunity to get that out there.

#40 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:26 PM

tl;dr for this thread: either don't be a dick, or don't get angry when people call you out on it.

#41 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:29 PM

I don't really like gypsies. Just taking the opportunity to get that out there.

I thought you were a gypsy loving, mouth breathing badger that was also possibly the witch from Hansel and Gretel.

Damn. Is everything in this world a lie?

#42 Galadriel

Galadriel
  • Creature of the Night

• 924 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:34 PM

Yes, on the mouth with my privates

Edited by LanaDelGay, 27 August 2015 - 12:34 PM.

#43 Drakonid

Drakonid
  • 804 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:35 PM

:rofl:

Thread of the year.

#44 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:39 PM

Neopets is back up so I'm going to peel out, but I will leave ya'll with the reminder: my children actually came out of my vagina and it doesn't get much closer than that. In the grand scheme of things, a peck on the mouth is not really a huge deal.

#45 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:39 PM

I thought you were a gypsy loving, mouth breathing badger that was also possibly the witch from Hansel and Gretel.

Damn. Is everything in this world a lie?

You appear to have been severely misinformed, my dear. I don't particularly like gypsies, I don't hate them or anything but I wouldn't want to lick the face of one either. I do occasionally breathe through my mouth, especially when I have a cold or my nose is otherwise engaged. And if I were the witch from Hansel and Gretel you can be damn sure those kids wouldn't be escaping to tell that tale...my house would also probably be massively structurally unsound and would likely collapse due to hungry badger damage but I'd have insurance so it would be fine.

#46 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:42 PM

Neopets is back up so I'm going to peel out, but I will leave ya'll with the reminder: my children actually came out of my vagina and it doesn't get much closer than that. In the grand scheme of things, a peck on the mouth another person's opinion is not really a huge deal.

FTFY. 

#47 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:44 PM

FTFY.

I'll try to be more like you. :)

#48 Keil

Keil

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 12:45 PM

I'll try to be more like you. :)

Obviously. *hair flips*

#49 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:14 PM

I'm entitled to my opinions regardless of whether or not you get offended. It's the internet Kate. Grow some thicker skin. I'm not censoring myself. lol

You forgot about Hispanic people. I hate those wetbacks.

#VoteTrump.

#50 Required

Required
  • 922 posts

Users Awards

Posted 27 August 2015 - 01:14 PM

Uhm, no. I find it too weird. It's alright if other people do it, but I didn't and I wouldn't  :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users