• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2015 - 08:50 AM

I was in my discussion section for one of my classes this morning and the TA said that she was going to try really hard to mention trigger warnings before she brings up any offensive material, as to not hurt anyone's feelings.

I think this is fucking ridiculous. 

Are we really so afraid to offend people these days? Obviously, I'm not advocating personal attacks, those have no place in school, but trying to soften the blow when discussing topics like nudity, sex, or violence? Like..come the fuck on. 

There are topics that I'm sensitive about, that effect me when I hear them, am I supposed to never hear or discuss those topics again? 

I feel like the way things are progressing, people are going to start getting offended so easily. I'm not saying that things like miscarriages, rape, suicide etc. aren't heavy topics. They are. And they could possibly bring up emotions for you. But when did that become a bad thing? To feel? Are you supposed to have your hand held throughout your life and never think about or discuss these difficult topics? It's good for you.

If you want, I'd prefer you bring your personal experiences into the conversation. You experienced something, share it. Let it out, talk about it. Don't try to shy away from it. 

What do you think about trigger warnings? Do you think people are becoming too soft? That things are too PC these days?

#2 Eggie

Eggie
  • 317 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:05 AM

I can understand trigger warnings for people with PTSD, eating disorders and other legitimate mental illnesses that could cause them flashbacks and/or relapse into harmful behaviors. Discussing how fun it is to shoot people in CoD around somebody with PTSD who has actually experienced being on the battlefield? That's a real trigger and I can understand that. Same thing with discussing how to lose weight around somebody recovering from an eating disorder. I've experienced being triggered into my illness many times myself and it's very real and can be life threatening.

I do however have a problem with normal, mentally sound people going around and calling "OMG TRIGGER" on anything that might ever so slightly offend them. Way to totally invalidate what a trigger is for people who actually experience them and are hurt by them. I see the SJW types on Tumblr display this type of behavior constantly and it really pisses me off.

#3 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:09 AM

I understand them to an extent, but I'm not going to stop and be like "yo TRIGGER WARNING!", There's just too many ways to offend people that you'd basically have to say it every time you open your mouth.

If someone approaches me and says that I offended them, I'll be polite and apologize, but I'm not going to sensor myself every time I get into a discussion.

#4 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:12 AM

I think that is a little extreme in an educational environment, so I agree with you entirely. Our culture is far too soft/politically correct.

#5 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:16 AM

This thread triggered me.

Thanks you piece of CIS trash @DonValentino

#6 Lumielle

Lumielle
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:39 AM

Sigh, I'm just going to try and bring an alternative viewpoint here. I don't think cultures can ever be too 'politically correct': what's wrong with taking into consideration that maybe, just maybe, some people would prefer not to discuss or think about rape/abuse/murder in a social setting? Every survivor behaves differently, so while person A might be comfortable with sharing their traumatic experience, person B will immediately walk away. It's not bad to be thoughtful, methinks.

And no, not everyone on Tumblr liberally applies trigger warnings. 

Sauce: Has both Tumblr and lurks on Reddit.

#7 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:52 AM

Tumblr feminism triggers me. 

on a more serious note..

I do however have a problem with normal, mentally sound people going around and calling "OMG TRIGGER" on anything that might ever so slightly offend them. Way to totally invalidate what a trigger is for people who actually experience them and are hurt by them. I see the SJW types on Tumblr display this type of behavior constantly and it really pisses me off.

Very much this^.

People running their mouth and saying everything is a fucking trigger, makes insensitive fucks like me laugh at "trigger words". These people make me think of the kid who cried wolf.

#8 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2015 - 01:32 PM

POPULAR POST!

Trigger warnings aren't there to stop people discussing potentially offensive topics.

There are topics that I'm sensitive about, that effect me when I hear them, am I supposed to never hear or discuss those topics again?

Accordingly, this is a huge straw man argument, and a ludicrous reductio ad absurdum. Two logical fallacies for the price of one!

Trigger warnings exist to help people who are sensitive to certain topics/images/etc decide whether or not they want to confront their triggering issue at that specific time. Accordingly, they have specific and sensible uses, and can be pretty silly when misapplied. Presenting a warning about nudity before an anatomy class, for example, is particularly unnecessary - the expectation of nudity should already be there. On the other hand, mentioning beforehand that a particular lecture will contain images of simulated rape would be perfectly reasonable in a general media course.

They essentially serve the same purpose as ESRB ratings on games, or blurbs on books. They let you know what to expect, and they let you decide whether or not to consume that media.

Finally, allowing the "trigger-happy" people to deprive others of the ability to avoid discussions they literally cannot face, just because they look a little daft - well, that's a totally unhelpful knee-jerk reaction. And besides, you don't know what's going on in anyone else's head, so perhaps letting something that is no inconvenience to you at all slide in order to potentially protect someone else from a ruined day/week/psyche isn't so bad after all.

#9 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2015 - 02:17 PM

Trigger warnings aren't there to stop people discussing potentially offensive topics.

Accordingly, this is a huge straw man argument, and a ludicrous reductio ad absurdum. Two logical fallacies for the price of one!

Trigger warnings exist to help people who are sensitive to certain topics/images/etc decide whether or not they want to confront their triggering issue at that specific time. Accordingly, they have specific and sensible uses, and can be pretty silly when misapplied. Presenting a warning about nudity before an anatomy class, for example, is particularly unnecessary - the expectation of nudity should already be there. On the other hand, mentioning beforehand that a particular lecture will contain images of simulated rape would be perfectly reasonable in a general media course.

They essentially serve the same purpose as ESRB ratings on games, or blurbs on books. They let you know what to expect, and they let you decide whether or not to consume that media.

Finally, allowing the "trigger-happy" people to deprive others of the ability to avoid discussions they literally cannot face, just because they look a little daft - well, that's a totally unhelpful knee-jerk reaction. And besides, you don't know what's going on in anyone else's head, so perhaps letting something that is no inconvenience to you at all slide in order to potentially protect someone else from a ruined day/week/psyche isn't so bad after all.

@Sweeney seriously, thank you for such an eloquent summation of the importance of a trigger warning. The trigger warning is for the benefit of survivors who have experienced psychological and/or physical trauma, which can be so overwhelming it can result in suicide, self-harm and other tragic events. It is so apathetic to even suggest it's about political correctness and imply that you shouldn't have to censor yourself, because it's an inconvenience to you while simultaneously disregarding the fact that it can mean severe mental harm for another individual.

However, that is not to discount that yes, there are misuses of every thing/term/whatever we use in our society. I think that today being anti-PC is being equated to being 'sophisticated' or 'intelligent'. I think that is rather lame. Being indifferent to legitimate, different and often negative life experiences isn't cool. It's apathetic and shitty. Can PC-ness be overused? Yes. Just like slang terms for the person you're in a relationship with (bae anyone?). Just like anything else in the world. But being considerate isn't a bad thing.

Edited by Coops, 04 September 2015 - 02:18 PM.

#10 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 September 2015 - 11:08 PM

Thanks @Sweeney for putting into words what I couldn't. Trigger warnings have been pretty vital for me in recovering from certain things. There are situations I'm not ready to be reminded of, so seeing graphic depictions of rape or emotional abuse can still give me panic attacks. A true trigger warning isn't for people who are simply sensitive to certain topics. They're for people in recovery who should be able to decide what things they are exposed to.

#11 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 September 2015 - 02:35 AM

Trigger warnings aren't there to stop people discussing potentially offensive topics.Accordingly, this is a huge straw man argument, and a ludicrous reductio ad absurdum. Two logical fallacies for the price of one!Trigger warnings exist to help people who are sensitive to certain topics/images/etc decide whether or not they want to confront their triggering issue at that specific time. Accordingly, they have specific and sensible uses, and can be pretty silly when misapplied. Presenting a warning about nudity before an anatomy class, for example, is particularly unnecessary - the expectation of nudity should already be there. On the other hand, mentioning beforehand that a particular lecture will contain images of simulated rape would be perfectly reasonable in a general media course.They essentially serve the same purpose as ESRB ratings on games, or blurbs on books. They let you know what to expect, and they let you decide whether or not to consume that media.Finally, allowing the "trigger-happy" people to deprive others of the ability to avoid discussions they literally cannot face, just because they look a little daft - well, that's a totally unhelpful knee-jerk reaction. And besides, you don't know what's going on in anyone else's head, so perhaps letting something that is no inconvenience to you at all slide in order to potentially protect someone else from a ruined day/week/psyche isn't so bad after all.

This so much. Holy shit thank you for standing up.

Just because a conversation doesn't affect you, don't mean it cannot be damaging to others because of things they have dealt with in the past.

Triggering content below
Spoiler

I understand them to an extent, but I'm not going to stop and be like "yo TRIGGER WARNING!", There's just too many ways to offend people that you'd basically have to say it every time you open your mouth.

If someone approaches me and says that I offended them, I'll be polite and apologize, but I'm not going to sensor myself every time I get into a discussion.

Trigger warnings aren't about offending someone. They are there to protect people from reacting to things that have harmed them in the past.

#12 Bear

Bear
  • 151 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:28 AM

I think there are way to many wimps (Would rather use a different word) in society today. If you get offended its your problem not mine. 

#13 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4771 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:28 PM

I think there are way to many wimps (Would rather use a different word) in society today. If you get offended its your problem not mine.

That's a fairly poor way to handle yourself.

#14 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 September 2015 - 12:34 PM

You're right, it is their problem. Which is why it's polite to give them the chance to not have to engage with toxic people like yourself ^_^

#15 Bear

Bear
  • 151 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:13 AM

:reaper:

You're right, it is their problem. Which is why it's polite to give them the chance to not have to engage with toxic people like yourself ^_^

#16 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:47 AM

Please don't post meaningless shit in the debate section. We have "Chit-chat" for that.

#17 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:48 AM

Your posts are one of the reasons why I keep a crate of rotten tomatoes.

*throws*

#18 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:48 PM

If you get offended by something, that's your own issue. Being offended doesn't cause you any mental or physical strife, people can (and do) find anything offensive.

I personally find boybands, the French and Tottenham Hotspur offensive but I wouldn't expect anything to be stated about that.

When it comes to traumatic and distressing items it's a completely different kettle of fish. Any form of statutory or state establishment, it should be expected for some form of warning or regulation.

Public/private entities such as businesses it would be expected but not so much as a necessity.

When it comes down to the individual, there shouldn't be any form of expectation due to the very complexity and infringements it can cause.

If you are seriously distressed by certain images or conversations, therapy and medical advice should be sought.

This doesn't apply to the tumblr bollocks you constantly see as its all rubbish (ie putting a trigger warning on pomegranates and personal pronoun bullshit).

#19 Romy

Romy
  • Neocodex Elite Four Member

• 4876 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:52 PM

If you get offended by something, that's your own issue. Being offended doesn't cause you any mental or physical strife, people can (and do) find anything offensive.

I personally find boybands, the French and Tottenham Hotspur offensive but I wouldn't expect anything to be stated about that.

When it comes to traumatic and distressing items it's a completely different kettle of fish. Any form of statutory or state establishment, it should be expected for some form of warning or regulation.

Public/private entities such as businesses it would be expected but not so much as a necessity.

When it comes down to the individual, there shouldn't be any form of expectation due to the very complexity and infringements it can cause.

If you are seriously distressed by certain images or conversations, therapy and medical advice should be sought.

This doesn't apply to the tumblr bollocks you constantly see as its all rubbish (ie putting a trigger warning on pomegranates and personal pronoun bullshit).

Are you sticking around this time or are you gonna leave again?

#20 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2015 - 12:56 PM

Depends on how bored I get.

#21 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:56 PM

Understandable point of view.

Are you sticking around this time or are you gonna leave again?

First time I've seen this person actually post, in the last 3.5 years I've been here.

#22 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 September 2015 - 10:44 AM

I see a lot of people posting trigger warnings on Facebook posts lately. If a friend of mine asks for a trigger warning because of PTSD or something then I will use them but other than that, ain't nobody got time.

#23 Guest_iCarly_*

Guest_iCarly_*

Posted 12 October 2015 - 09:59 PM

I can understand trigger warnings for people with PTSD, eating disorders and other legitimate mental illnesses that could cause them flashbacks and/or relapse into harmful behaviors. Discussing how fun it is to shoot people in CoD around somebody with PTSD who has actually experienced being on the battlefield? That's a real trigger and I can understand that. Same thing with discussing how to lose weight around somebody recovering from an eating disorder. I've experienced being triggered into my illness many times myself and it's very real and can be life threatening.

I can't think of anything here that I wasn't going to say myself.

I have these problems myself and to see them bastardized isn't cool. 

And before you lump me in with those people, I am diagnosed, and it's pretty hard to actually 'trigger' me. Unless you were actually involved with the situation, you'd literally have to be trying to get to me to actually 'trigger' me. 

#24 dddbliss

dddbliss
  • 47 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2015 - 06:04 AM

In an educational environment, trigger warnings should not be an issue. It is commonly accepted (or I think it should be) that these environments are a place for exploring topics outside of one's comfort/area of knowledge. It is about education, not about reacting personally to the content being taught or shown.

Sometimes rationality is hard.

#25 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:38 AM

In an educational environment, trigger warnings should not be an issue. It is commonly accepted (or I think it should be) that these environments are a place for exploring topics outside of one's comfort/area of knowledge. It is about education, not about reacting personally to the content being taught or shown.

Sometimes rationality is hard.

That's fallacious. There's no inherent benefit to making the challenge a surprise - a warning is just that, a warning. Not a way of saying "leave if you can't deal with rape images".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users