Trigger Warnings

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1,097 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:38 AM

In an educational environment, trigger warnings should not be an issue. It is commonly accepted (or I think it should be) that these environments are a place for exploring topics outside of one's comfort/area of knowledge. It is about education, not about reacting personally to the content being taught or shown.

Sometimes rationality is hard.

That's fallacious. There's no inherent benefit to making the challenge a surprise - a warning is just that, a warning. Not a way of saying "leave if you can't deal with rape images".

#27 dddbliss

dddbliss
  • 47 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2015 - 09:46 AM

That's fallacious. There's no inherent benefit to making the challenge a surprise - a warning is just that, a warning. Not a way of saying "leave if you can't deal with rape images".

So you are saying that to become a Medical Examiner, I can bypass all the actual dissection of bodies or parts that is part of my degree path because I am traumatized by a dead body? If that is true, then I never want to have any surgical procedure again - ever.

In an educational context, the excuse isn't valid if it pertains to your education. It is where "leave if you can't deal with it" is a logical response.

#28 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1,097 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2015 - 11:55 AM

So you are saying that to become a Medical Examiner, I can bypass all the actual dissection of bodies or parts that is part of my degree path because I am traumatized by a dead body? If that is true, then I never want to have any surgical procedure again - ever.

In an educational context, the excuse isn't valid if it pertains to your education. It is where "leave if you can't deal with it" is a logical response.

That's the exact opposite of what I said.

#29 Scot

Scot
  • ≡^ᴥ^≡

• 3,873 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 October 2015 - 12:55 PM

When I was growing up, trigger warnings were used to warn rape survivors that a particular movie, tv show, book had a rape scene in it. 

Now it means that fat tumblrinas might get offended if their choices get called out. 

#30 Mothra

Mothra
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 October 2015 - 02:51 PM

Hey, all movies and shows have ratings and state what content is in it.

A trigger warning is a good way to let people atleast be prepapred when they go and read/watch/etc something.

I always see people saying trigger warnings are a form of censorship, when it's completely not. It's a way to allow sensitive content to remain, but let people choose whether or not they wanna be exposed to it.

I have a few friends with PTSD or other anxiety disorders, and there are some topics they'd rather not have to see/read about. Or they atleast just wanna know the thing they're about to watch/read will contain it so they're not in for a shock.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users