Quantcast

Photo

I just beat Transformers Devastation xbox 360, here's my review.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 poofka

poofka
  • 84 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 10:42 PM

So I play a lot of games, and I decided to start my reviews here because why not, everyone here seems to like games right? I may not be the best writer but I like to share my thoughts so here it goes. 

This game is amazing. I can't even describe it.. lol yes I can that's the point to this! So first off this game is made by Platinum Games, so you already know it's fun. It's based off the Transformers franchise AND it uses the 80's era characters and story arc, not to mention it's cel shaded in a way that it literally looks like you are playing the retro anime. So, yeah, this game is pretty sweet. Let's dive in.

Graphics:

I want to start off with the graphics. It seriously feels like you are playing the old school anime. This is like what kids in the late 80s and early 90's wish they could have but never could. It's seriously amazing. Even if you aren't into transformers you should at least google some screenshots or watch some people play it on Twitch. It's done very well and Platinum Games really hit it dead on. It honestly looks like you are playing a cartoon and it's so cool. The transformations are done well too. 

I also love how they kept all the characters the same from the 80's(Peter Cullen and Frank Welker just to name a few), they even kept the music and voices the same. They even had the Transformer logo swaps during transitions. The lines were so cheesy, but it's the good kind of cheese, like velveeta cheese. I bet the voice rehearsals were fun. Geez, this was just done well and I felt this should of been mentioned first. 

I played this on the 360 though, I could only imagine how amazing this game looks on a next gen console, if you buy this game I would definitely get it for a ps4 or xbone, I regret not getting it for my ps4.

Gameplay:

This game is fun, like super fun. Well, okay, it's a bit of a water down Bayonetta, but if you like Bayonetta then you will love this game. Imagine the Bayonetta game engine with transformers and their transformations as finishers. Everything is so over the top and so much fun. I couldn't stop playing. The battles are very easy to control and the action is very fluid. Unlike Mad Max where the camera sucks, this one just works. Even if there is an enemy off screen you get warnings to remind you. Everything happens so fast though, it's such a rush, especially when you hear your favorite autobot talk shit to a decepticon when you evade their attack and go into slow mo to bring them down. 

The bosses are fun too, they aren't just hit bags, they are challenging but fun. Everything just worked. The only thing though is the weapon system isn't like Bayonetta, it's more like a upgrade system. You find weapon drops like axes, swords, hammers, etc and you can upgrade them and add skills to them. You do the same with armor upgrades too called tech.

You can also switch between your autobots. It's basically the original cast or the more popular ones. Of course you have Optimus Prime but there's also Wheeljack, Sideswipe, Bumblebee and Grimlock. Each have their own transformations and special moves. My favorites were Prime, I mean of course. Grimlock was great too, who doesn't like wrecking shit up as a robot t-rex? Remember Grimlock is no bozo he is king, Slag and Sludge do what Grimlock say!

Environment:

So even though the graphics are great, the environment and level design get repetitive and dull fast unfortunately. You are either in a city, or in a dark hallway. The lack of exotic levels really brings the game down kinda. It works, but it would of been nice to see more of a variety of places.This lead me to the enemy designs too, You will notice that a lot of the normal enemies look the same with different color schemes. Kinda sucks since Bayonetta had all sorts of bad guys. 

Replay Value:

Even though I really liked this game I have to say that it's... disappointingly short. You can probably beat it in one sitting if you had a single day off to play. It's not that long. The game is broken up into 7 chapters. Yeah you can always go back to do challenges or upgrade characters you didn't play as but.. if you like to play for the story, even if it is shallow, there's not much to offer. Also it would of been cool if they had secret autobots that you could unlock but sadly there aren't any extras. It would of been cool to play as an Autobot that's very different. I mean aside from Prime and Grimlock, the other 3 were all cars and that's it. Maybe that's why I liked Prime and Grim so much because they were honestly different. It would of been cool to play as a flying autobot or something like Strafe but the variety is lacking. 

Overall

So the game looks nice and plays nice. It's lots of fun but very short. If fast action games are your thing you should play it. If animes are your thing you should play it. If you like transformers then you should play it. If you like all of these things then you should definitely buy it. But it's super short with all the levels looking the same.. over and over again. So maybe you wanna hold off until you see it at the bargain bin. 

Rating: 

If 1 is abysmal but 5 is god incarnate then I rate this a serious 4. 

#2 Required

Required
  • 922 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:29 AM

Seems pretty cool. I remeber playing a Transformers game back in PS2 times and I really liked it :p I'm gonna check this one out

Have you played the Star Wars Battlefront Beta? I did and it was fucking amazing, definitely pre ording.

#3 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 October 2015 - 10:24 AM

I love the style, it reminds me of a Jackie Chan game for PS2 that I was addicted :p I'll definitely buy it :D

#4 poofka

poofka
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 October 2015 - 12:25 PM

Seems pretty cool. I remeber playing a Transformers game back in PS2 times and I really liked it :p I'm gonna check this one out

Have you played the Star Wars Battlefront Beta? I did and it was fucking amazing, definitely pre ording.

I preordered the deluxe version or whatever that it's like 10 bucks more. I kinda wanna wait until it officially comes out. 

But yeah dude, this was definitely better than Mad Max to be honest which is kinda sad in a way. Thanks for the support man!

I love the style, it reminds me of a Jackie Chan game for PS2 that I was addicted :p I'll definitely buy it :D

Yeah it's definitely worth checking out, especially if you love Platinum Games like me. Normal mode was kinda easy. I suggest playing on hard mode. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users