Does TV change intellect?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 October 2015 - 02:54 PM

Do you guys think having a TV in the household (and it being watched) makes kids smarter, dumber, lazier, more creative or no change at all?

#2 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:00 PM

Depends on the show I guess.

#3 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:11 PM

I think it's interesting to note that people arrange their entire living spaces around a television as if it is sacred and an alter.

I read that somewhere and it has really stuck with me.

I don't think it's conducive to furthering our intellect.

I think it has utility and can be used to learn but the general tv watching that most people do, isn't utilizing the medium for that matter.

#4 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:27 PM

I think it's interesting to note that people arrange their entire living spaces around a television as if it is sacred and an alter.

I read that somewhere and it has really stuck with me.

I don't think it's conducive to furthering our intellect.

I think it has utility and can be used to learn but the general tv watching that most people do, isn't utilizing the medium for that matter.

Agreed. The role of the television in our society is definitely fascinating. From reporter to babysitter, it plays a huge part in our lives, for better or for worse. In my mind, I said "for worse!" because it's easy to blame problems on the TV, but it's important to remember it's just a tool and the issues go way beyond it. 

There are definitely programs that are "educational", and you can learn some cool things, but only to an extent. You can't dialogue with the TV, so there's only so much you can really learn. And of course this is ignoring the 90% of programs that have no educational value and are purely entertaining. 

#5 Sweeney

Sweeney
  • 1230 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 October 2015 - 03:48 PM

TV almost certainly has no effect on your actual core personality traits, but it most definitely affects attitudes.

#6 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:35 PM

TV definitely is a time-suck. So I would say, in that aspect, it can be detrimental to family dynamics and society as a whole. So, I haven't had cable television since I've been married (almost four years now). My husband and I feel it's a waste of money, compared to say Netflix. But we still watch a bit of TV. Media can influence our perception, reinforce stereotypes (negative or positive), and as Sweeney mentioned affect attitudes. DonValentino's point about how it's easy to blame TV is pretty poignant. If it's not TV, it's some other medium. I would say there are good and bad aspects, and there isn't really a right answer here.

#7 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 October 2015 - 05:54 PM

and there isn't really a right answer here.

That is why it is in the debate section! I like playing devil's advocate, since I like a little back and forth. So I will say this: in the home of professionals (lawyers, doctors,engineers etc) a child is exposed to almost twice as many words as in the house of a low SES family. This (# of words child is exposed to) is one of the strongest predictors of IQ in children. TV is, if nothing else, full of vocabulary. Could it not be assumed that it can help fill the wordless void many children are exposed to (ie. both parents work most of the day, or parents don't interact with their kids as much as they should)?

#8 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 30 October 2015 - 06:03 PM

That is why it is in the debate section! I like playing devil's advocate, since I like a little back and forth. So I will say this: in the home of professionals (lawyers, doctors,engineers etc) a child is exposed to almost twice as many words as in the house of a low SES family. This (# of words child is exposed to) is one of the strongest predictors of IQ in children. TV is, if nothing else, full of vocabulary. Could it not be assumed that it can help fill the wordless void many children are exposed to (ie. both parents work most of the day, or parents don't interact with their kids as much as they should)?

It could, but only to a degree. Books are another way to expose children to words too. And lower income families have less access to books. Plus, TV doesn't socialize children because TV often misrepresents demographics or barely represents (minorities, LGBTQ+, etc). I had to analyze a study about vocabulary for my behavior analysis course last term. Yes, there is incredible difference between middle class and wealthy families versus low-income with #words children are exposed too (I can't remember who did the study). But, I stand by my point that this is a complex idea with no right or wrong answer. The idea that TV is either good or bad is a rather broad question and the words good/bad are fairly subjective. Anything I say in the context of this debate is going to be generalized.

Edit: The study I am referencing (and I think you are too) describes the word gap. Here is a link.

2nd Edit: To further my point about time being an issue, most lower-income parents don't have time to spend with their children. So, refer to my above points, TV can be good to a degree, etc etc.

Edited by Coops, 30 October 2015 - 06:06 PM.

#9 Blanc

Blanc
  • 1058 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2015 - 08:50 PM

Depends.

#10 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 08 November 2015 - 03:33 PM

Do you think that some shows can promote free thinking, problem solving and creativity? ie. I recently started watching House, and it is awesome after being in med school. A lot of the episodes I can come up with the diagnosis now, and even the shows where I don't get the diagnosis, I am thinking of the different possibilities and why they are/aren't feasible diagnoses. Similar things could be said about Sherlock.

Depends.

Hmmm. Interesting point, I didn't consider that.

#11 Blanc

Blanc
  • 1058 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:37 AM

Do you think that some shows can promote free thinking, problem solving and creativity? ie. I recently started watching House, and it is awesome after being in med school. A lot of the episodes I can come up with the diagnosis now, and even the shows where I don't get the diagnosis, I am thinking of the different possibilities and why they are/aren't feasible diagnoses. Similar things could be said about Sherlock.

Hmmm. Interesting point, I didn't consider that.

Hm, sorry, so i'll explain in more words, trying to use my bad english. So, it depends, because some channels can be too much manipulative, but others can be just to inform. In my country, we've a open channel which is considered a "Brain Washer", because a big mass of the people which watch those has a very similiar opinion and are irreducible about their opinions. Because that Depeds, cuz not all channels can be manipulative, despite others can be for information and fun only. So depends, TV can change intellect, but some times no.

Edited by Nashime, 09 November 2015 - 06:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users