Neopets is getting sued

• Please log in to reply
99 replies to this topic

#1 kadoatie

kadoatie
  • 284 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:51 PM

http://legalnewsline...ia-business-law

"The plaintiff is represented by Scott J. Ferrell, Richard H. Hikida, David W. Reid and Victoria C. Knowles of the office of Newport Trial Group in Newport Beach, California. "

edit: http://www.trialnewp.../scott-ferrell/

This is one of the lawyers on the case.  He looks like he takes no shit.

Edited by kadoatie, 04 November 2015 - 08:06 PM.

#2 Susie

Susie
  • 1382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:54 PM

I could have sworn that auto renewal was listed on the site. Or maybe I just heard so many people mention it.
But with all the billing issues I've read about, I'm not entirely surprised they are now being sued.

#3 kadoatie

kadoatie
  • 284 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:55 PM

I could have sworn that auto renewal was listed on the site. Or maybe I just heard so many people mention it.
But with all the billing issues I've read about, I'm not entirely surprised they are now being sued.

I believe the problem numerous users were having is that they were getting billed even AFTER canceling their subscriptions.  Others were being double and triple charged as well.

#4 Cheyenne

Cheyenne
  • 97 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

Honestly, they deserve it. As much as I love Neopets, JumpStart has really made the game go downhill. I've heard so many people complain about billing issues and being charged automatically when they cancelled premium and whatnot. I wonder what will happen.

#5 Kass

Kass
  • 581 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 07:59 PM

I think the main charge should have been the charging of the card without the card holder's consent because soooo many people have experienced this issue. If you cancel premium, they shouldn't keep billing you. Also the double and triple charges are just ridiculous as well. Those should have been the main points here because as far as I know, neo tells you that your subscription will automatically renew at the end of the cycle.

It's about time someone took them to court over this BS though. 

Edited by Kass, 04 November 2015 - 08:00 PM.

#6 Susie

Susie
  • 1382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:04 PM

and I'm sure that defendants could argue that it was a deliberate charging of the card without the cardholder's consent. The first few you might be able to explain as a glitch, but multiple people being charged multiple times, there's no way that was an accident.

#7 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:39 PM

Honestly, they deserve it. As much as I love Neopets, JumpStart has really made the game go downhill. I've heard so many people complain about billing issues and being charged automatically when they cancelled premium and whatnot. I wonder what will happen.

Mmnn, this issue has been around for years now so although JS has had the opportunity to fix shit they weren't the ones who started it >w< But they still had the chance to fix it up, there's no way they couldn't have known about it since people are always having this problem. At least they're finally getting this sorted out though!!

#8 blue

blue
  • doge

• 2048 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:42 PM

They need to give everyone free Premium for months as compensation!

#9 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:43 PM

Mmnn, this issue has been around for years now so although JS has had the opportunity to fix shit they weren't the ones who started it >w< But they still had the chance to fix it up, there's no way they couldn't have known about it since people are always having this problem. At least they're finally getting this sorted out though!!

Yup, I had that issue back when Nickelodeon was in charge. I got charged twice for NC, even though I only bought one time (and I didn't get the other NC), and another time was when I got frozen. I cancelled my premium and they charged it for 2 more months after I contacted them. Fortunately I got a refund, but still.

#10 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:34 PM

Yeah, its right on the page and the font isn't that small either.

u7jQN8i.png

#11 jaredyne

jaredyne
  • 1115 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 November 2015 - 10:12 PM

Yeah, it does say that it auto-renews, but with the server issues this year it uncancelled many people who cancelled. I had to cancel mine three or four times, it's a bit bullshit.

#12 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:27 AM

Hmm this could be an interesting one to keep an eye on.

#13 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:14 AM

Judging by this I'd say there's a decent chance of Neopets losing in court:

https://www.dlapiper...ic-renewal-law/

Section 17601© defines “clear and conspicuous” as “in larger type than the surrounding text, or in contrasting type, font, or color to the surrounding text of the same size, or set off from the surrounding text of the same size by symbols or other marks, in a manner that clearly calls attention to the language.”  (emphasis added)  The “clear and conspicuous” requirement is repeated in section 17602, which also requires:

(a)(1) [disclosure] of the automatic renewal offer terms or continuous service offer terms  in a clear and conspicuous manner before the subscription or purchasing agreement is fulfilled and in visual proximity, or in the case of an offer conveyed by voice, in temporal proximity, to the request for consent to the offer 

(a)(2) obtaining the consumer’s affirmative consent to the agreement containing the automatic renewal offer terms or continuous service offer terms and

(a)(3) an acknowledgement that includes the automatic renewal or continuous service offer terms, cancellation policy, and information regarding how to cancel in a manner that is capable of being retained by the consumer.  If the offer contains a free trial, the business shall also disclose in the acknowledgement how to cancel and allow the consumer to cancel before the consumer pays for the goods or services.

#14 neopetsexploded

neopetsexploded
  • 234 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 09:05 AM

So I guess, this is how Neopets really bites the dusk. After they lose the suing, they will close down within weeks/days.

#15 MelodyPond

MelodyPond
  • 159 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:08 AM

Do you think that Neopets is going to "close its doors" after the hearing, or do you think they will sell to another company? I really hope Neopets continues to be around.

#16 kadoatie

kadoatie
  • 284 posts

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

Do you think that Neopets is going to "close its doors" after the hearing, or do you think they will sell to another company? I really hope Neopets continues to be around.

Unfortunately I doubt anyone will want to purchase Neopets at this point.  The site has been trash for years and there's way too many major bugs that would take months and many talented programmers to fix, which is too expensive.

The lack of a decent support system really fucked themselves over more as well.  There's no excuse for taking months to years to respond to a ticket.

Edited by kadoatie, 05 November 2015 - 11:44 AM.

#17 Cannabis

Cannabis
  • yungamerican

• 970 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:18 PM

Maybe this will be a wake up call but I highly doubt it...

#18 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2015 - 12:45 PM

They made their own bed...? If that makes sense in English :lol:

I lol'ed at some comments in reddit about this.

Honestly, I expected this to happen sooner. What the fuck did they expect? The 12 year old innocent kids that played Neopets 10-15 years ago are now adults, but Neopets continues to treat their players like kids. And when real money gets involved, people have the right to take legal actions if get's to that, and it got to that after years of complainings when they did nothing to resolve the issue and everything they ever give us is silence. I'm so glad I stopped giving them money so many years ago. If it was the other way around, like it happens so many times, the people always gets screwed by big companies. If we pay for something we have the right to receive the service/item we paid for.

Part of me feels sorry for the people that lost their money, and it doesn't matter how much, if $5 or $500, but -and especially these last couple of years, after KNOWING all the issues with NC and Premium- why would anyone give money to Neopets, it's beyond me :p

#19 Spirited

Spirited
  • 677 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:05 AM

Someone set up a neopets mirror please I'm too addicted to quit.

Off topic: anyone knows where oldneo went to?

#20 kadoatie

kadoatie
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:09 AM

They made their own bed...? If that makes sense in English :lol:

I lol'ed at some comments in reddit about this.

Honestly, I expected this to happen sooner. What the fuck did they expect? The 12 year old innocent kids that played Neopets 10-15 years ago are now adults, but Neopets continues to treat their players like kids. And when real money gets involved, people have the right to take legal actions if get's to that, and it got to that after years of complainings when they did nothing to resolve the issue and everything they ever give us is silence. I'm so glad I stopped giving them money so many years ago. If it was the other way around, like it happens so many times, the people always gets screwed by big companies. If we pay for something we have the right to receive the service/item we paid for.

Part of me feels sorry for the people that lost their money, and it doesn't matter how much, if $5 or $500, but -and especially these last couple of years, after KNOWING all the issues with NC and Premium- why would anyone give money to Neopets, it's beyond me :p

Those reddit comments were ridiculous: "THANKS ASSHOLES NOW NEOPETS IS PROBABLY GOING TO SHUT DOWN BECAUSE JUMPSTART IS GOING TO LOSE ALL THE MONEY THEY HAVE LEFT"

"PEOPLE SHOULD BE MORE PATIENT AND SUPPORTIVE OF JUMPSTART TO FIX THE PAYMENT BUGS"

^ No, they've been patient far too long.

Neopets has been a cesspool for years, I say it's finally time to kill off the site.  Neopets has never been the same once Adam and Donna left and I'm not just saying that for nostalgia purposes.  As soon as they stopped churning off great BD plots, switched the ticket system, kept freezing users and refused to communicate, and continued to treat everyone like idiots, the site went completely downhill and lost a majority of active users.  I remember when there used to be a million active users at any time during the day.  

There is no excuse for the site with so little active users to take months to years to respond to a ticket.  

Edited by kadoatie, 06 November 2015 - 09:10 AM.

#21 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:04 PM

Someone set up a neopets mirror please I'm too addicted to quit.

Off topic: anyone knows where oldneo went to?

Unfortunately the owner didn't have the ability to run it herself and it got merged with Leopets ^^

There is no excuse for the site with so little active users to take months to years to respond to a ticket.

I find it outrageous that in order to get your ticket looked at, you have to either beg on one of their Facebook posts or send them a personal message there :/ That's just not what you do when you already have a support system in use.

#22 neopetsexploded

neopetsexploded
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:21 PM

Unfortunately the owner didn't have the ability to run it herself and it got merged with Leopets ^^

I thought Leopets is a joke but figured why not google it. And damn, it's real. Do you have an account there? Is it just another guide fansite or does it have game features like Neo?

#23 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:24 PM

I thought Leopets is a joke but figured why not google it. And damn, it's real. Do you have an account there? Is it just another guide fansite or does it have game features like Neo?

It's like old Neopets! I have an account there, but I forgot my username and password... It's okay, they have a few games, sometimes they make plots, but nothing impressive. It's good to remember the old times.

#24 neopetsexploded

neopetsexploded
  • 234 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:25 PM

It's like old Neopets! I have an account there, but I forgot my username and password... It's okay, they have a few games, sometimes they make plots, but nothing impressive. It's good to remember the old times.

Thanks, I will check it out. :p I presume it have a leo-economy like Neo? 

Edited by neopetsexploded, 07 November 2015 - 06:25 PM.

#25 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 07 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

Thanks, I will check it out. :p I presume it have a leo-economy like Neo? 

I don't really remember, but probably yes :p And you're gonna have to wait until December 1st to apply, unfortunately :/

Edit: oh hey, I just logged in! I should've tried more times before giving up lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users