• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 Silver

Silver
  • poppycock.

• 1041 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2015 - 07:57 AM

So who else is as pumped as I am for FO4? (trick question, NO ONE is as psyched as I am). 

What aspect of the coming game are you most excited for?

Which character build will you go for first?

#2 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2015 - 08:46 AM

I actually pre-ordered many months ago and had kind of forgotten about it to be honest. I've only played Fallout 3 and thought it was just ok, so I've never quite understood the hype, plus I have always stuck strictly to competitive multiplayer titles (Halo). I am excited to get it and try it out though, as I am starting to get tired of Destiny. 

I need to read up on it and see what all is changed and what people are raving about so I am not completely in the dark when I put in my disc.

#3 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 November 2015 - 11:20 PM

I AM.

I always play with stealth - critical dmg characters.

#4 Required

Required
  • 922 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2015 - 03:25 AM

Mock me if you'd like but I've never played the Fallout series :( But the hype about this game caught my attention, do I need to know anything about the previous games if I jump directly to FO4?

I really loved Skyrim, played a bit of Dishonored and liked it too. Does it resemble those games? I feel like its enviroment is like Bioshock Infinite's, but that one is not Bethesda's :p

Edited by Scavi, 06 November 2015 - 03:26 AM.

#5 Silver

Silver
  • poppycock.

• 1041 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:25 AM

I actually pre-ordered many months ago and had kind of forgotten about it to be honest. I've only played Fallout 3 and thought it was just ok, so I've never quite understood the hype, plus I have always stuck strictly to competitive multiplayer titles (Halo). I am excited to get it and try it out though, as I am starting to get tired of Destiny. 

I need to read up on it and see what all is changed and what people are raving about so I am not completely in the dark when I put in my disc.

Well, Bethesda hired one of the devs from Destiny to work on the FPS aspect of the game, so while it won't be as good of a FPS as destiny, (it's in the RPG category anyhow), I'm sure it will have some similarities. 

Mock me if you'd like but I've never played the Fallout series :( But the hype about this game caught my attention, do I need to know anything about the previous games if I jump directly to FO4?

I really loved Skyrim, played a bit of Dishonored and liked it too. Does it resemble those games? I feel like its enviroment is like Bioshock Infinite's, but that one is not Bethesda's :p

The lore is comparable to Skyrim, depth wise. I play on ps4, but if you have an x-box I would recommend getting the pre-order, since it comes with FO3 as well as FO4. All the ps4 pre-order comes with is a stupid poster. Fairly irked at that tbh. The game play is a bit more advanced than skyrim, as well as the leveling system. EXP based (most exp comes from killing things), as opposed to "you cracked 10 locks, so you're level 2 lock-picking" - you can just kill a bunch of things and put the points into lock-picking. (chose lock-picking as an example, as you'll find the actual lock-picking is near identical to skyrims). Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas's graphics are comparable to Skyrims, although FO4 is apparently improved quite a bit (but not compared to games put out by other companies). If gfx make/break a game for you, you might be disappointed. It runs at 30fps. 

You will miss some of the nuances, with references to games past, but the game will stand on it's own. 

#6 Outsider

Outsider
  • THE YOOYUNATER

• 2103 posts

Users Awards

Posted 06 November 2015 - 12:57 PM

That poster is going on my wall. I do agree that ps4 does get boned though.

Can't believe how many people are surprised the graphics aren't up to par with a lot games. You don't play Bethesda games for graphics, so why did people think that would change now. (I still think the graphics are more than good enough.)

#7 Silver

Silver
  • poppycock.

• 1041 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 November 2015 - 06:44 AM

Can't believe how many people are surprised the graphics aren't up to par with a lot games. You don't play Bethesda games for graphics, so why did people think that would change now. (I still think the graphics are more than good enough.)

Unfortunately, until I buy a house and have a man cave of my own, (person cave, if you like), all posters will stay in the box. Or eventually find themselves on ebay a couple of decades from now. 

And agreed, if you're buying FO4 for the gfx, you're silly. For me at least, it's the depth of the story, like how I can have over 1000 hours of gameplay (throughout different playthroughs) and *still* find something new that I haven't come across before. For those who argue that it will make for a horrible first person shooter.. all console games are bad if you're truly a first person shooter fan; as you'll never match the agility and reaction of PC gamers. I play FO for the story, RPG. 

Does anyone have info on if we'll be able to play at 12:01am on Tuesday with a digital download, or will it go live later in the day?

#8 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:00 AM

Unfortunately, until I buy a house and have a man cave of my own, (person cave, if you like), all posters will stay in the box. Or eventually find themselves on ebay a couple of decades from now. 

And agreed, if you're buying FO4 for the gfx, you're silly. For me at least, it's the depth of the story, like how I can have over 1000 hours of gameplay (throughout different playthroughs) and *still* find something new that I haven't come across before. For those who argue that it will make for a horrible first person shooter.. all console games are bad if you're truly a first person shooter fan; as you'll never match the agility and reaction of PC gamers. I play FO for the story, RPG. 

Does anyone have info on if we'll be able to play at 12:01am on Tuesday with a digital download, or will it go live later in the day?

My Youtube subs box is being filled with Fallout 4 videos so i guess you can play now, haha. I wish i could buy it but its $80 on steam over here.

#9 Outsider

Outsider
  • THE YOOYUNATER

• 2103 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

If it's on console you can have it preloaded and ready to play at launch time.

#10 Silver

Silver
  • poppycock.

• 1041 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 November 2015 - 11:54 AM

I've read about the preload, and plan to do that tonight. Every single google search I can come up with though, just lists the go-live date as "11/10", rather than say, 5:00am on 11/10...

trying to deduce if I'll be able to play "tonight" just after midnight, or if staying up late will be for nothing. Currently, waking up at 6:45am for work, I try to get to bed around 10:30pm-11pm.. 

The unfortunate truth is that I'll probably only get to play it tomorrow night around 6pm when I get home from work; although I might leave work early after my meeting, as realistically nothing will get accomplished today or tomorrow, knowing that FO4 is waiting for me at home. 

#11 Outsider

Outsider
  • THE YOOYUNATER

• 2103 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 November 2015 - 12:22 PM

I've read about the preload, and plan to do that tonight. Every single google search I can come up with though, just lists the go-live date as "11/10", rather than say, 5:00am on 11/10...

trying to deduce if I'll be able to play "tonight" just after midnight, or if staying up late will be for nothing. Currently, waking up at 6:45am for work, I try to get to bed around 10:30pm-11pm.. 

The unfortunate truth is that I'll probably only get to play it tomorrow night around 6pm when I get home from work; although I might leave work early after my meeting, as realistically nothing will get accomplished today or tomorrow, knowing that FO4 is waiting for me at home. 

http://i.imgur.com/nlP1mmI.png

Wherever you fall under that is when you'll be able to play so if your east coast 12:01 is when you'll be able to play.

I'm in same boat as you on this one, however, I decided I'm pretty much just going to go to work on 3 hours sleep the next few days and play the fuck out of it.

#12 Silver

Silver
  • poppycock.

• 1041 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:47 PM

I'm additionally torn, since I can't keep my wife awake with the sound. Gotta choose between being exhausted and playing without volume, or sucking up the extra 18 hours I'll be deprived of playing. 

#13 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 November 2015 - 01:50 PM

I'm additionally torn, since I can't keep my wife awake with the sound. Gotta choose between being exhausted and playing without volume, or sucking up the extra 18 hours I'll be deprived of playing. 

#TheStruggle. I always play without volume, although you could always invest in some Astro's or something so that all the sound is confined to your headset.

#14 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 09 November 2015 - 02:05 PM

You could say it got...

Xboned.

tumblr_static_8fh1bca5qfocgc8ckkskggw8o.

#15 Silver

Silver
  • poppycock.

• 1041 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2015 - 06:12 AM

Lol. So, at midnight, turns out the pre-download was only 1/6 of the way done, since I forgot I'd have to use the wireless connection and it's slow as helllll. 

Woke up this morning and it was only 36% of the way installed, and the "SPECIAL" intro was playing. Hopefully it will be done installing by the time I get home!

#16 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2015 - 07:36 AM

Ugh I dread getting home from work this evening and beginning the install.

#17 Kass

Kass
  • 581 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:10 PM

So for those of you who have the game, what do you think of it? How does it compare to the others?

I don't have the money to buy it right now but I'm curious :p

#18 Outsider

Outsider
  • THE YOOYUNATER

• 2103 posts

Users Awards

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:34 PM

So for those of you who have the game, what do you think of it? How does it compare to the others?

I don't have the money to buy it right now but I'm curious :p

@Kass If you like 3/nv you'll love fo4. It takes everything about those games and builds on them to make it better. I'm at about 6 hours I haven't even ventured too far from the start point, which is a good thing in my opinion.

#19 Bones

Bones
  • Bar Ram Ewe

• 2171 posts

Users Awards

Posted 11 November 2015 - 12:24 AM

Im a Battlefield player thro and thro but this game has actualy got my attention and yesterday I was watching a 2 hour walk through on utube and it does look very good.

#20 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:52 AM

Man I got home from work Tuesday and found a note from UPS saying they would try to deliver again on Wednesday. They wouldn't leave my game because no one was there to sign for it!

Needless to say, I was livid. Fortunately, I was off yesterday because of the holiday, so I was at home when the second delivery came. Behold my Fallout 4 Collector's Edition in all it's glory!

91ex74.jpg

#21 Silver

Silver
  • poppycock.

• 1041 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:04 AM

Ahh, super jealous that you got the pip-boy! 

Going back to the adventures of installing; I got home Tuesday from work, it said it was 96% installed. I figured I'd give the ps4 a break, so I restarted. When I opened it back up, it dropped to 50% installed. Pissed. By the time I went to bed, it was only 76% installed, and had been at 76% for the past 4 hours. 

Woke up Wednesday (yesterday) morning, installation completed, and played for a solid 13-14 hours, all told. Glorious. 

Unsure how I feel about them moving some of the actions to different buttons than I'm used to (crouch, VATS), but I'll see if I can re-arrange them in the options menu to make it more compatible with my game play style. Hopefully I can. If not, I'll adapt, since the other option is to not play. 

I'm not sure that I enjoy the new crafting system; I like it in theory, but in practice, it's difficult to keep track of items, and it's mostly guesswork whether the new pistol you just picked up has a better grip than the one you currently have, without googling a guide and keeping it in front of yourself. Not a fan of the new pip-boy interface; doesn't let you cycle from the far right to the far left just by clicking "right" once, instead you have to click left 4 times. Minor, but annoying. I also notice a slightly longer delay when switching screens in the pipboy, also annoying. 

Also not a fan of having to gather cores for power armor; makes this aspect fairly useless to me (at this stage, at least). I believe I used the power armor during hour#2 of gameplay, and haven't touched it since; leaving it abandoned somewhere when the energy ran out. 

The option for melee attacks when carrying a gun are sloppy, slow. Too lazy to check, but there may be a perk that improves upon these weak points?

The graphics are far better than I anticipated, and so far I'm digging the storyline. I only just got to Diamond City, after being sidetracked by a BoS side quest and the one for the Minutemen. I'm level 11 or 12 currently, looking forward to 13 when I can open the option to craft better armor and weapons. 99% of the time I play through with maxed Strength, Agility, and Intelligence (bringing luck and charisma down to 1) - this time I took a different route and put everything into Luck and Charisma, so as not to miss any of the "talk" options early on (I figured it would be a while before I began my second playthough, and I could always catch up on strength. This could explain why I die so often, and why I'm complaining about the actual fighting - I supposed I'm used to steamrolling most enemies after hundreds of hours spend between FO3 and FO:NV. 

I like the quicksave feature, which is handy since I'm dying all the time. Without having read any significant spoilers, I'm calling it now that your stolen son (after being raised by raiders(?) doesn't even know his name is Shaun, and has since grown up to be a huge asshole. I'm thinking king of the raiders, or maybe holds significant rank within the commonwealth; probably in charge of hunting down synths. As a character, you'll have to decide whether to defend him (even though he probably blames you for him being kidnapped) as he's your family - choosing to betray your chosen allegiance/morality in favor of blood, or if you finally reach the conclusion and end up killing Shaun/leaving him to die because he's truly that much of a dick. Just a fan theory, but I'm calling it now. Seems to be the way the plot is headed "oh, you're after your son? work really hard to find him, then find out that he's a horrible person". Seems right up Bethesda's alley. 

I'm overall looking forward to enjoying the game more once I get my battling stats up to par. 

PS: There's a method of getting infinite caps, something about buying/selling ammo. Also, with Dogmeat, you can have him fetch the chriogun (whatever it's name is) from vault 111 without unlocking it's case. He barks at it, and it falls out of the case. Figure these might get patched soonish, so take advantage while you can, if you like. I haven't tried these myself yet, but I read about them late last night after I had already turned the console off right before bed. Figure I'll do these when I get home tonight. 

#22 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:17 AM

I have probably 4-5 hours playtime so far, and I am definitely enjoying it. I think I hit level 8 last night. I constantly forget to quick save and go into an area where I die immediately and then have to walk all the way back. The melee with the gun does seem extremely slow. I agree about the whole power armor thing though. I dropped mine off at the gas station where the power ran out and I haven't fooled with it since. There definitely is a lot to keep track of, so I've been a bit overwhelmed, but I am sure that will get easier with time.

#23 Outsider

Outsider
  • THE YOOYUNATER

• 2103 posts

Users Awards

Posted 12 November 2015 - 06:23 PM

Think I'm level 11 about 10 hours in. Just waiting for Saturday where I'll put in at least that.

I'm also getting my shit pushed in on survival.

The dog thing works but I think it's shit unless it does something I don't know. Lone Wanderer also works with dogmeat.

Edited by Outsider, 12 November 2015 - 06:26 PM.

#24 Silver

Silver
  • poppycock.

• 1041 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:58 AM

Good to know lone wanderer perk works with dogmeat!

Yeah, I just ran and got the gun last night; I was expecting much more. I suppose if it's one of the first guns you get in the game, you'd have an edge, but currently at level 14 (and 4pts in strength), it's fairly comparable, damage wise, to my other weapons. But its disproportionately heavy in weight, so I'll probably ditch it. 

#25 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:19 AM

LUCK is way too OP

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users