• Please log in to reply
169 replies to this topic

#51 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:29 PM

So do you pay off just the maintenance loan part? Sorry I kind of don't follow xP

Our student loans get paid directly to the school also, most of the time. Mine always have been and the first year I didn't know that so I paid the school twice and thought I was gonna be SO poor and starve the first term of uni. lmfao. 

No, you pay both tuition and maintenance back, it's just you never see the tuition part yourself. Tuition is currently a max of £9,000/year which was a big increase a few years ago. When I was at uni (2007-11), my tuition was slightly over £3,000/year. The maintenance loan varies, you get a much bigger loan if you live in London.

We essentially have a graduate tax that kicks in at a certain salary threshold.

#52 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

No, you pay both tuition and maintenance back, it's just you never see the tuition part yourself. Tuition is currently a max of £9,000/year which was a big increase a few years ago. When I was at uni (2007-11), my tuition was slightly over £3,000/year. The maintenance loan varies, you get a much bigger loan if you live in London.

Ohhh okay I just was just wanting clarification.

That is a massive increase from 3k to 9k *_* wtfffff

#53 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:37 PM

Ohhh okay I just was just wanting clarification.

That is a massive increase from 3k to 9k *_* wtfffff

Tuition fees only came in in 1998, until that point university was free. They came in at £1000, tripled to £3000 in about 2005 (@Waser Lave, were you on cheapy fees?) and then tripled again to £9000 in 2010.

#54 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:40 PM

Tuition fees only came in in 1998, until that point university was free. They came in at £1000, tripled to £3000 in about 2005 (@Waser Lave, were you on cheapy fees?) and then tripled again to £9000 in 2010.

I started Kindergarten in 1998 lmfao. 

Also I just remembered the exchange rate and holy sh!t. I could not be in school for how much it is there.

@Emily is your masters hella expensive!?!?!

#55 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:42 PM

Sadly no, I'm a mere babe, I'm afraid. Mine were around £3k and I ended up with about £15k of student loan debt when graduating. Then I got a full scholarship for my masters along with a £6k stipend which kept me in noodles for the year.

She'll be paying even more because she's an international student, probably upward of £10-15k a year I suspect.

I started high school in 1998. <_<

#56 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:47 PM

Sadly no, I'm a mere babe, I'm afraid. Mine were around £3k and I ended up with about £15k of student loan debt when graduating. Then I got a full scholarship for my masters along with a £6k stipend which kept me in noodles for the year.

She'll be paying even more because she's an international student, probably upward of £10-15k a year I suspect.

You must have been the first year to pay our increase, no?

#57 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:54 PM

I started high school in 1998. <_<

I didn't know badgers lived into their 30's or that they ate noodles.

Damn. I am learning so much from this thread why am I in school?

#58 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 12:57 PM

I didn't know badgers lived into their 30's or that they ate noodles.

Damn. I am learning so much from this thread why am I in school?

Cheeky wench, I ain't 30!

You must have been the first year to pay our increase, no?

No idea, first or second year I think. I wasn't paying much attention at the time. :p

#59 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:04 PM

No Methuselah, you're much older. <3

#60 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:06 PM

I really wish college was more affordable or even free would be fantastic. I would consider going back in a heartbeat to get a degree in Accounting or something related in that field. But as it stands, it's not worth it to put myself in so much debt. 

After I graduated high school when I went to college, for all of one year, I paid myself (not my parents) out of pocket (while working full time) because I didn't qualify for assistance and wasn't looking to take a loan at that time. I worked full-time and ended up learning everything I know by on the job training/experience. If I had a degree I could be paid more definitely and would broaden my options job wise, but as far as what I know and what I've been doing for the past 10 years, I think I'm doing well without any formal college training.

#61 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:08 PM

No idea, first or second year I think. I wasn't paying much attention at the time. :p

If you started high school at 15/16 and that was 18 years ago, you are indeed in your 30's. 

I am very bad at math but not that bad!!!!!!!!!!!

#62 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:09 PM

If you started high school at 15/16 and that was 18 years ago, you are indeed in your 30's. 

I am very bad at math but not that bad!!!!!!!!!!!

We start high school at 11!! You had me worried I was going senile there...

#63 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:11 PM

Also I just remembered the exchange rate and holy sh!t. I could not be in school for how much it is there.

Worth it. 

#64 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:19 PM

Worth it. 

You'll probably think differently after you graduate and you compare the A4 piece of paper certificate you get at the end with your bank statement. :rolleyes: I didn't even get a stupid t-shirt. <_<

#65 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:20 PM

You'll probably think differently after you graduate and you compare the A4 piece of paper certificate you get at the end with your bank statement. :rolleyes: I didn't even get a stupid t-shirt. <_<

Even when I'm broke and homeless, still worth it. 

#66 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:25 PM

We start high school at 11!! You had me worried I was going senile there...

Ohhhh so you're ALMOST 30 :p .

Can we have a birthday party????

I'll buy you a muff diver. :) 

#67 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:28 PM

I'm not even sure where mine is...So that was well worth it.

#68 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:31 PM

Ohhhh so you're ALMOST 30 :p .

Can we have a birthday party????

I'll buy you a muff diver. :)

No, I'm not almost 30! :headshake:

I suspect something might have been lost in translation re the muff diver part though... :p

I'm not even sure where mine is...So that was well worth it.

The 'rents have mine framed because I was the first in my family to do the university thing. I should probably get those back...

#69 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:34 PM

No, I'm not almost 30! :headshake:

I suspect something might have been lost in translation re the muff diver part though... :p

You put a shot of liquor in the bottom of a martini glass and fill the rest with whipped cream then you shove your face into the cream to get the shot. It's quite beautiful.

#70 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:37 PM

You put a shot of liquor in the bottom of a martini glass and fill the rest with whipped cream then you shove your face into the cream to get the shot. It's quite beautiful.

I can't mix alcohol and dairy products, not since the Sperm incident in Prague.

#71 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:38 PM

I can't mix alcohol and dairy products, not since the Sperm incident in Prague.

Story time please.

#72 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:42 PM

Story time please.

Absinthe + Baileys. Nasty stuff, never again.

#73 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:45 PM

Not having free college is stupid. I have no clue why are we arguing.

College should be free, health too; there's no sense in argue about that.

#74 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:49 PM

Not having free college is stupid. I have no clue why are we arguing.

College should be free, health too; there's no sense in argue about that.

Mostly people scared of competition just because someone else would have the same chance of succeeding as them :rolleyes:

#75 HiMyNameIsNick

HiMyNameIsNick
  • Shitlord

• 1730 posts

Users Awards

Posted 01 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

Mostly people scared of competition just because someone else is smarter than they are  :rolleyes:

FTFY m8

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users