• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#26 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:15 PM

Eh? You're thinking of gratuity which doesn't exist in Japan because there is literally no tipping culture (it's seen as rude and crass), except for in extremely rare circumstances (private tour guides mainly).

Right. Wrong thing, sorry. 

#27 Blanc

Blanc
  • 1058 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:41 PM

When the service is good, I tip immediatly. If not, i don't tip. Most of places where I go has an bad service, so it's rare, for me, tip.

#28 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2245 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:51 PM

Yes because here the waiters usually have to tip their busboys and they have to tip the bartender if you get drinks so by not tipping I'm basically stealing from them. However some places are banning tipping, I believe Joes Crab Shack just did.

#29 NeoVix

NeoVix
  • 152 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:57 PM

Occasionally if the service is really good, but its not the done thing really in England. I always tip on holiday though as I know in some countries the wages are ridiculously low. I used to live in greece and this waitress once told me the managers take the tips off them though which is a fucking disgrace

#30 Guppie

Guppie
  • 1285 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

Occasionally if the service is really good, but its not the done thing really in England. I always tip on holiday though as I know in some countries the wages are ridiculously low. I used to live in greece and this waitress once told me the managers take the tips off them though which is a fucking disgrace

Wow, that's low

#31 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2015 - 07:44 PM

When in large groups, I - we - usually tip just because it's easier to leave round numbers instead of splitting every cent between us. So the tip is for our own convenience and not the service per se. When in smaller groups, <4, I usually don't tip. Only in the event of an extraordinary service or a good, chatty host.

#32 kadoatie

kadoatie
  • 284 posts

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:19 PM

I generally always tip if the service is decent.  Bonus tips for places that bag up my leftovers for me.

#33 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2015 - 08:43 PM

So where does the percentages come from? Why do you arbitrarily decide on that number?

Surely the cost of the meal doesn't correlate to the amount of effort they've put in?

Surely rewarding bad behaviour and bad service is contradictory?

Where I live, minimum wage is 11.20$, those who serve liquor can be paid .50 less than minimum wage since they say it is reasonable they will make that in tips (or something along that line.)

15% if 3x the tax here (GST is 5% on luxury things.)

People typically tip 10% for subpar service (waitresses usually have to 'tip out' to the restaurant staff i.e. Hostesses, cooks, etc and it is usually up to 10% of their bills. Therefore if you don't tip waitresses will say they had to 'pay' to serve you.) 

Typical/Good/Average tipping is 15%.

Great service is 20% and above. 

15% is the easiest way here because you just multiply the GST on the receipt x3 and you're good to go. 

I believe waitresses should be paid more and tipping should be banned. I still tip because they are currently underpaid but I support all bills and grass roots movements people make here to raise their minimum. Most would be outraged if they actually did that because the average server makes far more than .50$ an hour in tips.

#34 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 13 November 2015 - 10:20 PM

I have left a 0% tip a few times. Tip is for doing a good job. My wife was a server for a while and averaged about $20/hour. that is good money for a job needing no experience, education or brain. So if you can't even do your job well, you dont get a tip. I leave 15-20% normally. 25% if I was amazed. But if they suck, why should they be getting extra money? Nope.

#35 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2015 - 07:59 PM

Sometimes. Some of the restaurants here ask for it when you're using the machine thing to pay or add it onto your bill already ( @ Frizzle you said no one tips here, liar). I would feel awkward not tipping in those cases (once a group of us accidentally didn't when we split up the bill and I still feel bad). Other places don't require it so... 

I would do it back home, but just the bare minimum because poor college kid. 

#36 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

Usually I tip an even dollar amount, generally 15-20% rounded up to the next dollar.

#37 MozzarellaSticks

MozzarellaSticks
  • 272 posts

Users Awards

Posted 02 December 2015 - 08:43 PM

I overtip. I'm known for it. Sometimes I even write a quick note to the person on the receipt. It gets me good service, so I don't care.

Edited by mermaiden, 02 December 2015 - 08:44 PM.

#38 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:06 AM

I'll tip whatever small amount evens my total out. Maybe a couple bucks more if I feel nice.

Once had this unprofessional and sarcastic waitress who pretty much called my a baby for ordering chocolate milk instead of soda or beer. She got tipped a penny. She didn't deserve a tip.

#39 Rauul

Rauul
  • Always drunk 坂本

• 1965 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:28 AM

usually i tip around 10% but sometimes when i dont have too much money, i tip like a troll 

WARNING: CLICK IF YOU WANT TO LEARN HOW TO TIP LIKE A TROLL.

Spoiler

#40 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2015 - 07:02 AM

I'm kind of bothered no one here mentioned how often waiters and waitresses are sexually harassed, asked for personal information, or treated inappropriately by their fellow humans. They kind of just put up with an inordinate amount of shit because they risk losing out on a good tip. The inconsistency with tips can make waiting difficult to pay bills, go to school, etc. And whoever said that a person who waits doesn't need a brain, yeah, no. It might not be difficult in your eyes, but there is no need to devalue a person just because of what they do. I cannot understand why people feel the need to constantly tear down people who are in food service or retail. Intelligence isn't relevant to your occupation.

Anyways, I tip roughly 20% and more if the waiter/waitress did awesome or made food puns. Because food puns are awesome.

#41 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:17 AM

Sometimes. Some of the restaurants here ask for it when you're using the machine thing to pay or add it onto your bill already ( @ Frizzle you said no one tips here, liar). I would feel awkward not tipping in those cases (once a group of us accidentally didn't when we split up the bill and I still feel bad). Other places don't require it so...

I would do it back home, but just the bare minimum because poor college kid.

Why would you tip a person who earns around $20 an hour to bring you food? Some greedy restaurants will try and guilt trip you into doing though.

#42 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

Why would you tip a person who earns around $20 an hour to bring you food? Some greedy restaurants will try and guilt trip you into doing though.

Most don't guilt trip, they add it onto the total sometimes. Usually 15%. Other times the machine that you use to pay asks if you want to add a tip. I've had a few receipts try to guilt trip me though.  

#43 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

The gratituty thing isn't enforceable and you don't have to pay it. I never have.

#44 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:06 PM

I tip 20% if service was average/good, 10% if bad. If you "don't tip" (and live in the US) I'm going to assume you're Steve Buscemi and act accordingly.

#45 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2015 - 05:51 PM

I tip 20% if service was average/good, 10% if bad. If you "don't tip" (and live in the US) I'm going to assume you're Steve Buscemi and act accordingly.

This is how I roll as well, and I go 25-30% for outstanding service.

#46 Required

Required
  • 922 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:40 PM

I tip according to the service I recieve. 10% is the average but if I get a really nice service I overtip (which is quite rare). If I get the worst service ever I still tip, it is very rude not to do it, at least here.

usually i tip around 10% but sometimes when i dont have too much money, i tip like a troll 

WARNING: CLICK IF YOU WANT TO LEARN HOW TO TIP LIKE A TROLL.

Spoiler

Esta la hago siempre que me atienden como el culo. Fui a Friday's hace unos meses y tuve la peor experiencia del mundo, habré gastado como 3 gambas e hice el truco ese de la foto con 2 billetes de diez, debe haber pensado que le deje una banda

#47 Bear

Bear
  • 151 posts

Users Awards

Posted 03 December 2015 - 06:56 PM

Yup I always tip. 20% if it's dine in, at least a 5 on delivery. I use to work in the tipping industry I feel the pain.

#48 KingCobra

KingCobra
  • 53 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:51 PM

Yup I always tip. 20% if it's dine in, at least a 5 on delivery. I use to work in the tipping industry I feel the pain.

I am the same as well. I've been pretty lucky to get great waitstaff at any restaurant I go to, but have had a few "baddies". Even if it's poor service I still tip 10% because I used to work in the service industry, a bartender in fact, and know from co-worker stories that it can be a nightmare to deal with rude or obnoxious guests and still get nothing. The only thing I can say about the "baddies" I've had is they seemed to be just very immature kids who are just working to have a job and satisfy their parents who mostly pay their way.

#49 Susie

Susie
  • 1382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 December 2015 - 07:13 PM

I'll usually round up, and then add a couple of bucks to tip. But the size of the tip depends on the level on service.

#50 nutro

nutro
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:44 AM

I always try to leave a very generous tip.  Even if the service was less than great.  I understand that somethings are out of the waiter/waitress' control.  Very rarely have I not left a tip. 

While I always do leave a tip, I do find it disgusting that these food service businesses exploit their employee's tips by paying them next to nothing while they bathe in their outrageous profits.  I don't think my not tipping will actually help anything.  I think if anyone were to make a difference, it would be the employee's themselves. 

I think that's something that we, as employees, forget.  We ARE the business.  While customers are primary, we are most definitely secondary.  It literally could not function without us.  If we banded together to make demands, we might actually come out on top.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users