• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#76 Jozie

Jozie
  • I'm a Unicorn!

• 1973 posts

Users Awards

Posted 16 May 2016 - 12:26 PM

I tip: but my tip is based on the quality of service. All tips start out at $5 (or 10% if the bill is greater than $50) If I get poor quality service, the tip can be as small as .01 and if I get great service, I have tipped as much as $50 (usually the case when the waitress/waiter has time to chit chat and I can see they have some built up stress, I let them distress). I am in the field of psychology so I am ok with people just venting/distressing/ letting it all out. I know how much it helps and can change the course of the day! Or if I see a waiter or waitress get treated extremely rude by other guests, I will apologize to the waiter or waitress on the rude persons behalf and put a little extra tip!

#77 Bendida

Bendida
  • 354 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:07 AM

It's so interesting how it depends on the culture... Here the service used to be included in the price of the meal (I think it still is) and it was very unpleasant when you read the menu and have an idea of what you're going to pay and then the check arrives and they add some 10 or 15% to it. Then it was forbidden by law so restaurants - if they want - have to calculate the service into the final price.

Waiters here are paid ridiculously low just because the labour here is cheap in general. So I always tip but rarely more than 10%. Most people give 10%. If the service was bad, I don't tip. If the waiter/waitress did an extra mile or were just nice and attentive, I tip more. Believe it or not, it happens so. rarely. :(

I only hope that because of this growing interest in food and culinary and gourmet chefs and cooks get paid what they deserve. And when you really want to encourage the great cook but the service was bad it's always the best thing to call the manager and give your opinion.

#78 Tammy

Tammy
  • 430 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:19 AM

There's no tipping culture in NZ so I never tip, and I also worked as a waitress/bartender for a long time and I very very rarely got tips. It just isn't something people do here.

#79 Sirius

Sirius
  • Azkaban Survivor

• 99 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:33 AM

20% of the bill at minimum, 99% of the time. If the service was below "okay" I'll go down to 15% or 10%. It's really rare that I don't tip at all... the service has to be abysmal.

#80 Chestnut

Chestnut
  • 44 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:12 AM

I generally tip around 25%, just because I know the service industry is a tough one.

Also, waiters and waitresses tend to get blamed for faults that occur in the kitchen which truly isn't fair. A dysfunctional kitchen still makes somewhat of a real wage, but it really impacts the servers.

#81 phoenix13

phoenix13
  • 46 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 11:29 AM

I usually tip 20% always unless the waiter/waitress is really bad I will tip 15%. If they exceed my standards, usually being very nice and caring, I may go up to 30%.

#82 hotcoldyay

hotcoldyay
  • 42 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

I usually tip somewhere from 10-20%, but only if I thought the server did a good job. If they were lousy, I wouldn't tip, or maybe give 5% at the most. I know most servers aren't paid full wages and need tips to make that up, but if they're doing a lousy job, I ain't giving. I'm not obligated to give them my money because they aren't paid enough. I'm not their employer or benefactor or whatever. I'm offering to give them more money for great service. That's the way I see it.

#83 kaitokaiser

kaitokaiser
  • 45 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 06:37 PM

My tip-behaviour heavily depends on how much money I would have leftover, or of the QoS.

If the meal(or whatever) was good, and I would like to support the restaurent, I would gladly tip, while coming back over and over again

#84 kbexx

kbexx
  • 45 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:17 PM

I don't tip. No one tips here, and I hardly ever have cash anyway. There are a few occasions where I have sort of tipped, usually more in a 'keep the change' way. Sometimes in taxis if I am paying cash and the total is close to what I'm paying (like a dollar or two), usually at the airport. There have also been a few times where a waiter has been really great so we've told them the change is a tip. One particular time, we were in a big rush and they went above and beyond and were really helpful. I have lots of allergies and they helped me find something that was safe to eat which was really great.

But yeah, those are rare exceptions. 

#85 Goingtohell

Goingtohell
  • 51 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:27 PM

Yes, around 15-20% if I'm dining in. Delivery depends on how much the preexisting delivery charge is. I started to really dislike the tipping culture in America after traveling to a few countries where tipping for service is uncommon or unheard of because employers actually pay their employees a decent wage. 

#86 Shannon

Shannon
  • 💦🌺 water type ♓✨

• 1618 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 07:59 PM

I already tip pretty liberally but tonight I was less than sober at dinner and tipped 30% on an already expensive meal. Fml I'm on a budget. Hope my waiter enjoys the extra cash lol

#87 Futurama

Futurama
  • The Teacher.

• 3772 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:04 PM

I give the tip and then some.

#88 quailione

quailione
  • 125 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:04 PM

I tip the standard 15%. I sometimes give more if the service is exceptional. Usually the places I'm going to don't pay their people enough, so they get by on tips.

#89 RedAnastasia

RedAnastasia
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:12 PM

In Australia I never tip. It's not really something that's done. Sometimes the front counter of a restaurant will have a little tip jar, but it's not really the same - just for loose change kind of thing. Though my mum always insists on tipping the pizza guy for whatever reason, even though they're always 20 minutes late. But obviously if I went somewhere where tipping was expected (I've never been to US) I would follow their culture, I feel like you should always (mostly..) respect the way other countries do things.

#90 Elysium

Elysium
  • 51 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 May 2016 - 09:28 PM

I typically tip 15-25% since I live in an area where a lot of people live off of tips.

#91 Daviid

Daviid
  • 73 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:05 AM

Where I'm from waiters have a "decent" salary so I don't tip unless their service is good.

We also don't have an assigned waiter, whoever is close will serve you.

#92 JustinHoodMusic

JustinHoodMusic
  • 31 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

I tip and admit I judge that tip poorly.

#93 w35l3y

w35l3y
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 05:37 PM

Mostly of the time I don't. But sometimes the attendance is good enough that I tip 10%

I think they should charge for the correct price and don't expect some kind of gratitude.

#94 diebuster

diebuster
  • 48 posts

Posted 26 May 2016 - 06:14 PM

Like some of the others here, I don't usually tip because there simply isn't a tipping culture from where I live. I only do it when the service is exceptional or when I need to get rid of the change.

#95 laurennnn

laurennnn
  • 42 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 07:49 AM

I tip 20%, sometimes more if the service was really good. I have a lot of friends that work as servers and hear horror stories about tables that don't tip/walk out on their bills etc. and some people can be really awful to servers. I don't want to be like those people haha

#96 jasonlumar

jasonlumar
  • 50 posts

Posted 27 May 2016 - 03:12 PM

I tip 20%, sometimes more if the service was really good. I have a lot of friends that work as servers and hear horror stories about tables that don't tip/walk out on their bills etc. and some people can be really awful to servers. I don't want to be like those people haha

Heh, I'm one of those people. I don't dine alone so it definitely covers it up but I will never tip when I go out to eat - I'm just really cheap  :lol2:. I do tip my barber/hair dresser, though. I don't want to piss them off! 

#97 Kula

Kula
  • 71 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

Where I'm from waiters have a "decent" salary so I don't tip unless their service is good.
We also don't have an assigned waiter, whoever is close will serve you.

Yeah. The fact that there's no specific waiter assigned to serve you have made me to not tip.

#98 meody

meody
  • 16 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:43 PM

I dont tip because its not part of the culture in my country.

#99 crystalize

crystalize
  • 83 posts

Posted 28 May 2016 - 03:56 PM

I do not tip but I also try to avoid places with waiters, they make me nervious XD

#100 Kwi

Kwi
  • 62 posts

Users Awards

Posted 28 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

I tip if I get provided good service, otherwise, I do not really understand the american culture where you are forced to tip everyone. And apparantly there's the hidden service fees that you need to pay on top of that? But if a service tax is paid, surely this should be enough and would include thanking the waiter without needing to pay a bit more on top of that as tip?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users