Should we let in refugees from Syria?

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#51 jinq

jinq
  • 1554 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 03:11 PM

Freakin Trudeau wants to bring 25k Syrian refugees in 6 weeks and convince Canadians that they are properly screened. And also airlift them while giving them free dental and vision, something the taxpayers don't get.

Also, why is Saudi Arabia (one country who was directly responsible for this mess) still not taking in any refugees when a lot of refugees share common way of life with the Saudis?

Edited by jinq, 21 November 2015 - 03:17 PM.

#52 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:50 PM

Freakin Trudeau wants to bring 25k Syrian refugees in 6 weeks and convince Canadians that they are properly screened. And also airlift them while giving them free dental and vision, something the taxpayers don't get.

Also, why is Saudi Arabia (one country who was directly responsible for this mess) still not taking in any refugees when a lot of refugees share common way of life with the Saudis?

Most refugees will go through a triple dip process of research and investigation into their backgrounds of who they are ( passport details, DNA, fingerprints, etc) which can take between 18 - 24 months.

Depending on that persons abilities ( ie if they're a healthy adult), they will stay in a glorified camp/detention centre. They can apply for asylum which takes years and during this process they can live in the local communities but cannot work so they live of a small amount of government benefits.

If their asylum process is accepted they can then work, study and live in that particular country before applying for citizenship after a certain amount of years ( on average it's between 4-7 years).

During both processes they will be under constant surveillance by the immigration department, police and government. They will have regular interviews and meetings with relevant agencies.

The fact that people believe these refugees aren't checked and just chucked into the country on a cash bed of benefits is not surprising considering people's ignorance and believing the right wing medias agenda.

The reason Saudi Arabia doesn't hold refugees (they have just paid over a billion dollars instead), is most likely due to its political and economical unwilling from its monarchy.

Saudi Arabia is a terrorist hotspot which funds, trains and recruits terrorists on multi-level agencies. There is some evidence to suggest that it is government funded but it seems mainly independent and private organisations funding these terrorists.

There is evidence to suggest Al-Queada, ISIS, Boko Haram etc have all trained and been funded by Saudis. Famously the 9/11 hijackers were all Arabians, funded by Saudi organisations and trained in Afghanistan.

The reason no-one does anything? It's a major ally in the Middle East and has an extoronaite amount of oil.

#53 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:31 PM

Yes, and if you think otherwise you're a xenophobe at best.

#54 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:28 PM

The most irritating aspect of this situation is the pure misinformation surrounding the process of refugee resettlement and how that differs from political asylum or economic migration. I have a close friend who works for the state of Alaska, resettling refugees specific to that state. It's a very complex, multi-layered process but everyone keeps insinuating that these guys will just be flown in and let loose in our country. It can take years for refugees to be let in and the process is extensive as hell. It's actually easier to migrate here for economic reasons, and honestly, if someone wanted to blow us up, they could just do it that way from what I know.

But also, I'm sick of the stupid emotional blackmail bullshit -- "we should help our veterans and homeless first"! That is emotional blackmail and it objectifies homeless people, as some sort of political pawn. It's horrible and shitty. And the truth is we can do both. This whole homelessness thing isn't either or. It should be something we're doing. I've noticed, in general, those screaming to not let refugees in are the ones who want to cut social programs like SNAP, WIC, housing and medicare assistance for marginalized populations (veterans, disabled, etc) because if you receive government help you must be lazy, unmotivated, etc. And you just need to pull yourself up by your bootstraps dammit, stop whining about being poor! 

#55 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:13 PM

12250086_10206783383056698_1795760807175

Posted this on Facebook.

Actual comment from one of my FB friends:

"Really? What does Dylan Roof have to do with Syrian refugees? That's all you have for your argument? Could you please back up your implication that's it's white American Christians that are against this? Dylan Roof was born white, can't do anything about that, and he was born in America, once again, can't choose your birthplace....he "called" himself a Christian (lots of people do, without knowing what one is, and what it calls for from you). Ah youth. So judgemental while espousing love and intolerance."

I don't think she gets it... or gets the fact that her own argument could be turned on her in support of allowing refugees in. 

#56 Emily

Emily
  • Wonder Woman

• 6508 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:10 PM

Haha this argument is so bad it's funny :p If Dylan Roof was "born white, can't do anything about that, and he was born in America, once again, can't choose your birthplace....he "called" himself a Christian (lots of people do, without knowing what one is, and what it calls for from you)", and all of these things cannot be changed, then the same would apply to a Syrian refugee. 

Yeah, that's what I had written in my response to her, but she was actually reading it wrong. Thinking it was an attack on Christians or something. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users