Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:38 AM

Smart Phone Use Guide

Have you ever had a smart phone, then wondered,
"What can I do with this thing?"

Well... now you can do something with that brick!

Requirements
Smart Phone

Doling out cash each month for, usually, inferior cellular service that the company you went with lied about.

What is a Smart Phone?

A smart phone is a device that is basically a computer that can be accessed to a

multitude of services that allow access to, call, text, and use internet.

What use do these services give?

Using a cell phone will mostly be for texting, and internet in my young culture.

From that, you get the ability to contact anyone in the developed and developing world

who also has one.

The internet is probably the most useful of all of the services given by a Smart Phone.

You can download Games, Podcasts (downloadable radio), Audio Books, Digital Books, Music, and Video.

Games

Most Smart Phone games tend to be lack luster in my opinion, they are just click

based games, but there are a few gems out there.

Some games I recommend for you are as followed.

Pokemon Shuffle

Phrase Wheel

Draw Something

Hearthstone

Podcasts

Podcasts are a great addition to your life in many ways, you can learn so many different

things that are happening around you. You can use Itunes, Stitcher, and Play.It generally

for your Podcast consumption.

There are podcasts dedicated to just about anything

that you may find of interest.

Lets say you are into History.

Some awesome podcasts about history are out there.

Stuff you Missed in History Class

Dan Carlin's Hardcore History

Lectures in History

Audio Books

Audio books are just a spoken format of books, exactly like audio books on tape/CD, but

in a downloadable form.

Most books you can think of will be in audio book format.

You can pay for newer books, but older books tend to be on quite a few free audio book applications.

Pay Based Applications

Audible

Google Play Store

Free Applications

LibriVox Audio Books Free

Free Audiobooks Search

Digital Books

Usually I find it hard to read books on my phone but there are a few places

you can get books to read.

Google Play Store

Amazon Kindle

Music

We've finally made it to music. This has become one of the biggest parts of having a Smart Phone.

With so many applications out there for your music consumption, you can listen to what you want, when you want.

Applications I recommend using for different reasons would be

Spotify

I like to use Spotify when I want to listen to either play lists, or albums. With a

paid subscription you can download the music straight to your phone to use when ever you want.

Free - Ads

Paid - No Ads

Pandora Radio

You chose one artist and they will play that artist plus others similar to it.

Free - Ads

Paid - No Ads

8Tracks

Premade playlists made by people just like you!

Limited Skipping.

Last.fm

Paid based application similar to Pandora.

No Ads.

And as usual, Google Play and Itunes for your owned music.

Video

Another huge part to using a Smart Phone is the use of applications to play video

directly to your phone.

You can use your Smart Phone to watch Television Shows, Video Game Streams,

Amateur Videos, and more!

Some apps that are widely used are as followed.

Youtube

Itunes

Netflix

Hulu

HBO

Google Play

Video/Photo/Audio Records

Most Smart Phones now have a camera, utilize it! Snap a selfie, take pictures of weird things you see.

Use it as a proof of records, take a picture of license plates of strangers who park near your home that you don't know.

Record your smart/dumb ideas after a shower.

Obviously Facebook, Instagram, and Youtube are the most used of Applications.

But you can also use Imgur, and Flickr for photo records, among others.

Tips and Tricks!

Battery life can be draining, both to you and to your phone. Some tips I recommend to you are as followed.

1. Keep a charger in your car, locker, or backpack.

2. If your phone can use a fast charger, only use it.

3. Never leave your phone plugged in all night long. Only charge it when it is low on battery.

4. You don't need to charge it to 100%, as that can ruin battery life over time.

Get it to at least 90% and then it should be as if you got it to 100%.

5. Only use Location, and Bluetooth if you need it.

6. If you have no connection to the mobile network because you are in a rural area,

a building that disallows the radio frequency waves to penetrate, or just underground in a bunker,

turn your phone onto Airplane Mode. This reduces the use of your battery looking for a network.

7. Try to keep from looking at your phone screen too often, it drains the battery generally quickly!

8. Clean your phone often! Your phone can get disgusting quick, and will be dirtier than that toilet you just used.

9. Don't use your phones volume when in quiet places, like libraries, break rooms, or rest rooms.

10. Don't text and drive. If your phone goes off, stop and answer it if needed. Or just hand it to the person with you. IT CAN WAIT!

11. If your phone starts to slow down, be sure to clear out old TV shows, Audio Books, and music you don't listen to often.

12. Don't click on links you don't know.

Thanks for reading my Smart Phone Use Guide. :)

#2 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:48 AM

Huh.

My grandma should read this :p

#3 bball4eva

bball4eva
  • 200 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:00 AM

I'm not so sure my grandma would find great enjoyment in pokemon shuffle...though I guess you never know.

#4 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:41 AM

Where were you 3 years ago when I got a smartphone and used it to take pictures of my computer screen cause what are screenshots.

#5 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:09 AM

5. Only use Wifi, Location, Bluetooth if you need it.

Respectfully have to disagree with this one minor point. While leaving wifi on may drain your battery a bit faster, if you turn it off and have capped data it can & will still be used until nothing is left.

Example: My new month starts on the 17th when I get 1gb of 4G data then goes down to unlimited 2G.
When I'm driving I'll sometimes turn off wifi as it'll try to connect to dang near every open spot I drive past and interfere with music streaming.
Occasionally I'll come home and forget to turn it back on and by the 18th I'm on 2G. Even if Spotify or whatever is off and the phone is locked, the phone still using the internet (updating apps or whatever the heck it does.) Especially true if I've forgotten and play a game or have it autoplay Swagbucks videos. 

However since my and many wifi connects are free, there's no reason to turn it off especially if you're going to be using a feature sooner or later that needs an active net connection. 

Also, and I may have completely misunderstood this, but doesn't having wifi enable help pinpoint your location a bit more accurately in case of an emergency? It's becoming more and more common not to have a landland associated with your address. If you're unable to speak every little thing helps.

Of course this doesn't really apply if NONE of your apps use the net or you have truly unlimited #G. 'cept possibly the emergency thing.

Or your nowhere near as forgetful as me.

6. If you have no connection to the mobile network because you are in a rural area,

a building that disallows the radio frequency waves to penetrate, or just underground in a bunker,

turn your phone onto Airplane Mode. This reduces the use of your battery looking for a network.

Airplane Mode also useful if you want to charge your phone faster without having to turn it completely off. ;)

But yeah, excellent guide Megazord. Going to print this off and pass it to my grandparents. Thank you! ^_^

#6 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:24 AM

Respectfully have to disagree with this one minor point. While leaving wifi on may drain your battery a bit faster, if you turn it off and have capped data it can & will still be used until nothing is left.

Example: My new month starts on the 17th when I get 1gb of 4G data then goes down to unlimited 2G.
When I'm driving I'll sometimes turn off wifi as it'll try to connect to dang near every open spot I drive past and interfere with music streaming.
Occasionally I'll come home and forget to turn it back on and by the 18th I'm on 2G. Even if Spotify or whatever is off and the phone is locked, the phone still using the internet (updating apps or whatever the heck it does.) Especially true if I've forgotten and play a game or have it autoplay Swagbucks videos. 

However since my and many wifi connects are free, there's no reason to turn it off especially if you're going to be using a feature sooner or later that needs an active net connection. 

Also, and I may have completely misunderstood this, but doesn't having wifi enable help pinpoint your location a bit more accurately in case of an emergency? It's becoming more and more common not to have a landland associated with your address. If you're unable to speak every little thing helps.

Of course this doesn't really apply if NONE of your apps use the net or you have truly unlimited #G. 'cept possibly the emergency thing.

Or your nowhere near as forgetful as me.

Airplane Mode also useful if you want to charge your phone faster without having to turn it completely off. ;)

But yeah, excellent guide Megazord. Going to print this off and pass it to my grandparents. Thank you! ^_^

I guess it's biased a bit for me since I have unlimited. I'll fix it. :p

Where were you 3 years ago when I got a smartphone and used it to take pictures of my computer screen cause what are screenshots.

That's funny. Didn't you ever wonder what Print Screen on your keyboard meant? :p

We all had that time at one point.

I'm not so sure my grandma would find great enjoyment in pokemon shuffle...though I guess you never know.

She could love it. Pokemon isn't reserved for the young. ;)

Huh.

My grandma should read this :p

I hope she does!

#7 Turnip

Turnip
  • woomy woomy manmenmi!!

• 2511 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:22 AM

That's funny. Didn't you ever wonder what Print Screen on your keyboard meant? :p

It doesn't really help that on some keyboards its shortened to prt sc or something similar, and with laptops you have to hold down the fn key for it to work :p I had no idea you had to hold down that button when I got my first laptop since I was so used to desktop computers hahah

Speaking of screenshots, it might be worth including that with Android devices, you hold down the power and volume down button to take a screenshot. A lot of people don't know this!! I'm not too sure how you take screenshots with Apple phones though.

#8 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:11 AM

Speaking of screenshots, it might be worth including that with Android devices, you hold down the power and volume down button to take a screenshot. A lot of people don't know this!! I'm not too sure how you take screenshots with Apple phones though.

With Apple you have to press the home and power button to take a screenshot :)

I hope she does!

And I hope she understands :p Sending text messages is already very difficult for her :p

#9 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:16 AM

Are we pretending that smart phones aren't mainly used for making toilet visits more entertaining? Because that should really be point #1 in large font and highlighted in rainbow colours (Yay for rainbow fonts!).

#10 rei

rei
  • 119 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:13 PM

Don't you have an option to turn off mobile data? I'm using an Android and I have it.

#11 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

Don't you have an option to turn off mobile data? I'm using an Android and I have it.

Yes, it's in the settings, but for a catch all I usually use Airplane Mode. If I want my bluetooth headphones, I'll shut off Mobile Data only.

#12 Susie

Susie
  • 1382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:59 PM

My grandparents would never find any enjoyment in Pokemon shuffle. These are the same grandparents that banned me from watching pokemon at their house when I was a kid because it was "violent"

#13 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 05:24 PM

My grandparents would never find any enjoyment in Pokemon shuffle. These are the same grandparents that banned me from watching pokemon at their house when I was a kid because it was "violent"

Pokemon Shuffle isn't violent, it's only taking the severed heads of them and putting them in lines of 3 or more then they disappear. More heads fall down, continue cycle. :p

#14 Alexiel

Alexiel
  • Sieg Zeon!

• 2043 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 06:59 PM

*facepalms*

I usually disable from the pull down menu at the top of the screen which only has wifi and bluetooth options.

Never thought to check the actual system settings. *feels stupid* heh

Thanks, rei!

#15 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9254 posts

Users Awards

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:56 PM

Pokemon Shuffle isn't violent, it's only taking the severed heads of them and putting them in lines of 3 or more then they disappear. More heads fall down, continue cycle. :p

You're shuffling around dismembered heads of magical animals who explode violently for points.

Seems pretty awful to me. 

#16 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 November 2015 - 04:37 AM

You're shuffling around dismembered heads of magical animals who explode violently for points.

Seems pretty awful to me. 

LOL! This description/analogy is awesome. haha. 

The game itself is fairly boring but since its a pokemon type game its actually not too bad. 

I've played a game entirely separate with minor differences which was absolute crap. So I guess its funny how things we enjoy influence how well something is perceived to be enjoyable xD

#17 Shane

Shane
  • Sad sack.

• 1982 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:05 AM

LOL! This description/analogy is awesome. haha. 

The game itself is fairly boring but since its a pokemon type game its actually not too bad. 

I've played a game entirely separate with minor differences which was absolute crap. So I guess its funny how things we enjoy influence how well something is perceived to be enjoyable xD

Mega Mawile was just impossible to beat. :(

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users