Quantcast

Photo

Why is having a White Student Union racist?

• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:42 PM

http://www.nytimes.c...puses.html?_r=0

Why is it ok to have black/asian/etc Student Unions but not a white SU? I heard someone today say "Because white isn't a race." Well black bloody well isn't a race either. 

I don't understand why there couldn'/shouldn't be a WSU on campus if people wanted to join it. As long as they weren't promoting intolerance (ie. by saying things to detract from other races), why should one race not have a group to be able to meet together? I just don't get it.

#2 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:00 PM

It's because whites are the majority and they don't need support or representation, and the concept can be considered racist, as nitro stated.

For what it's worth, I'm not against WSUs as long as their intentions are non-malicious.

#3 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:08 PM

Whites aren't the majority at all campuses. Just the majority of them.

#4 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:13 PM

For what it's worth, I'm not against WSUs as long as their intentions are non-malicious.

Let me fix that for you (or how I would say it, anyway):

"For what it's worth, I'm not against [INSERT ANY COLOR OR ETHNICITY OR RELIGION HERE] as long as their intentions are non-malicious"

#5 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:18 PM

Let me fix that for you (or how I would say it, anyway):

"For what it's worth, I'm not against [INSERT ANY COLOR OR ETHNICITY OR RELIGION HERE] as long as their intentions are non-malicious"

I would agree with you, but we are talking about WSUs. :p

#6 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:48 PM

Yeah it's because the needs of white students are already inherently represented in the vast majority of colleges, so there's no use for them.

You don't need a WSU to meet up together because most of the clubs/classes will be majority white anyway. And you can make white friends anywhere if you want. It's not like there's a shortage of white people lol. Minorities set these groups up because they are often underrepresented on college campuses, and feel that their voice will be stronger together. 

Like, what would discuss in a WSU meeting? How great it is being white? Maybe you just want to talk about video games...well then join the video game club. The problem with a WSU is that it's not needed, so people would ask what is the point of setting it up?

#7 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:55 PM

White student union groups people are a product of institutional racism, and need to be done away with ASAP.

#8 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:57 PM

Yeah it's because the needs of white students are already inherently represented in the vast majority of colleges, so there's no use for them.

You don't need a WSU to meet up together because most of the clubs/classes will be majority white anyway. And you can make white friends anywhere if you want. It's not like there's a shortage of white people lol. Minorities set these groups up because they are often underrepresented on college campuses, and feel that their voice will be stronger together. 

Like, what would discuss in a WSU meeting? How great it is being white? Maybe you just want to talk about video games...well then join the video game club. The problem with a WSU is that it's not needed, so people would ask what is the point of setting it up?

So even at a place like Rutgers (1/4 caucasian) you would say it is unnecessary? What about all of the schools where the student body president is black/asian/latino whatever? They aren't being represented still? 

#9 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:52 PM

White student union groups people are a product of institutional racism, and need to be done away with ASAP.

LIKE IF FACEBOOK BROUGHT YOU HERE

#10 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:54 PM

LIKE IF FACEBOOK BROUGHT YOU HERE

I'm just so mad right now. Anything white people try to do for people of their own skin color is considered racist. *faint* /hairflip

MUST EXTERMINATE WHITE PEOPLE AND THEIR RIGHT TO GATHER LIKE EVERY OTHER RACE OUT THERE.

#11 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:11 PM

I went to a High School whose demographics were predominately Indian, Asian, and Middle Eastern. I was on student council and the over whelming majority of students on it were white. White students made up the mass majority of involvement in most sports, groups (yearbook, grad committee, social justice, etc) and student council/union. 

Think of it in regards to sexism. There isn't really much stopping women from being in more mathematical and science based fields but our representation in those fields is lower because it is institutionalized that we (women) are less encouraged to follow those pursuits and it has been for a long long time. Times are changing but times are slow. 

I would hypothesize that a good majority of students who aren't 'white' are not encouraged or inspired to be a part of these groups. 

Honestly, I've got no clue. I can sure as shit tell you that where I live white students don't need it at all. Even in at the university level, our student unions have mainly white students elected and mostly white students run for positions. It would be redundant to have a 'white student union' because most schools here the student union is a WSU without having to even be labelled as such. 

#12 DonValentino

DonValentino
  • Neocodex Handegg League Champion/Daddy

• 2482 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:18 PM

So even at a place like Rutgers (1/4 caucasian) you would say it is unnecessary? What about all of the schools where the student body president is black/asian/latino whatever? They aren't being represented still? 

Which campus are you talking about? Because the main one is predominantly white..but either way, I went to the one in Newark, and yeah there were a lot of black and indian kids. But I never felt like I was at a disadvantage or anything. Never felt like I needed to spend more time with white people. My two best friends from those days are black and egyptian. 

More to your point, I also went to Essex County College in Newark, and I saw about 10 other white people while I was there. If ever there was a time to set up a WSU, it would have been then. But what would that have accomplished? Being white wasn't undermining my grades, I wasn't being mistreated. Was I uncomfortable? Yes. Did I make any friends there? Not really. But I'm sure I could have, if I wanted to. I never had a problem with anyone in my class. 

The point of these student unions is to have their voice heard if they think an injustice is being done, and in a lot of these schools (including ECC) white people have no trouble getting help from the administration if they need it. 

#13 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:19 PM

From my insurmountable experience with student involvement on campus, I can proudly say that ethnically-specific student unions are pointless if they don't do shit.

#14 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:56 PM

While people are actually a minority world wide. Check mate atheists.

#15 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:16 PM

Which campus are you talking about? Because the main one is predominantly white..but either way, I went to the one in Newark, and yeah there were a lot of black and indian kids. But I never felt like I was at a disadvantage or anything. Never felt like I needed to spend more time with white people. My two best friends from those days are black and egyptian. 

More to your point, I also went to Essex County College in Newark, and I saw about 10 other white people while I was there. If ever there was a time to set up a WSU, it would have been then. But what would that have accomplished? Being white wasn't undermining my grades, I wasn't being mistreated. Was I uncomfortable? Yes. Did I make any friends there? Not really. But I'm sure I could have, if I wanted to. I never had a problem with anyone in my class. 

The point of these student unions is to have their voice heard if they think an injustice is being done, and in a lot of these schools (including ECC) white people have no trouble getting help from the administration if they need it. 

I get that you didn't need one, but I doubt most asians feel the "need" for a student union either. I don't care if people think it is necessary, I just think it is stupid that people automatically think it is racist to have one. So much for equal rights. Again, if these groups are promoting hate in any way, obviously they should be taken down. But if any other student groups were promoting hate, they should likewise be taken down. I just hate that society is trying to make up for past racism by white shaming. That is seriously what it is becoming now, and it bothers me. 

#16 Grimley

Grimley
  • The greatest trick the Devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist

• 3840 posts

Users Awards

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:28 PM

I get that you didn't need one, but I doubt most asians feel the "need" for a student union either. I don't care if people think it is necessary, I just think it is stupid that people automatically think it is racist to have one. So much for equal rights. Again, if these groups are promoting hate in any way, obviously they should be taken down. But if any other student groups were promoting hate, they should likewise be taken down. I just hate that society is trying to make up for past racism by white shaming. That is seriously what it is becoming now, and it bothers me. 

Indeed.

#17 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:31 AM

I actually laughed out loud at "white shaming", thanks.

There's already a White Students Union: it's better known as the Ku Klux Klan

#18 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:19 PM

So all black student unions are offshoots of the black panthers? Cool. All races (or colors, since white/black aren't races) can have a group, but when white people do it, it is terrorism. I don't understand you.

#19 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:35 PM

So all black student unions are offshoots of the black panthers? Cool. All races (or colors, since white/black aren't races) can have a group, but when white people do it, it is terrorism. I don't understand you.

It's not sarcasm. 

#20 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:40 PM

http://www.dailymoti...joke_shortfilms

Like this?

#21 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2015 - 02:49 PM

200.gif

#22 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:59 PM

I wasn't being sarcastic or hyperbolic. What would be the purpose of a White Union? To talk about how great it is to be white? To think of new ways to promote and support white people and white culture? Already sounds an awful lot like the KKK or stormfront to me.

There aren't student unions for white people for the same reason there isn't a Straight Student Union or a Male Student Union. People don't face adversity or oppression for being white, and it's not a trait that informs peoples' identities. It's the default. Can you name a single group that's dedicated to "celebrating"/"defending" "white culture" that isn't racist?

#23 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:40 PM

Apparently white people and men have never face discrimination before. How strange. Guess we should let Serbians/Albanians know that when their families were massacred that it wasn't a big deal. Guess we should let the South Africans being forced out of their homes know that their plight isn't a big deal because a minority somewhere in the US decided on it.

Rights, discrimination and heritage isn't a pissing contest.

#24 Bone

Bone
  • no

• 3638 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:50 PM

Apparently white people and men have never face discrimination before. How strange. Guess we should let Serbians/Albanians know that when their families were massacred that it wasn't a big deal. Guess we should let the South Africans being forced out of their homes know that their plight isn't a big deal because a minority somewhere in the US decided on it.

Rights, discrimination and heritage isn't a pissing contest.

The discussion has obviously been centered on U.S. schools so far, so please don't be pedantic. White people do not face discrimination in the United States.

#25 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:00 PM

The whole issue with privilege is people who have it have difficulty admitting they have it, and often take it personal when faced with the reality that they benefited to any degree from a system. No one here is arguing white people are bad or even that most white people intentionally denigrate minorities. We're just pointing out the uselessness of a WSU because they already benefit, to some degree, from being white. I know it's hard to admit and I know it's hard not to take it personal, or get defensive about it. In my opinion, you don't need to feel badly about it either -- just acknowledge it. "Yeah, I don't face certain systematic difficulties because I'm [white, abled, etc]."

Making someone feel bad for an inherent quality, which they have no control over, is pointless. Making someone acknowledge their privilege, so they may be aware and so they can speak out against racism or sexism or whatever, has more value to society, in my opinion. 

Race is a stupid social construct with no biological foundation. Hopefully, sometime in my lifetime, we can get past that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users