Quantcast

Photo

Why is having a White Student Union racist?

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#51 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4,347 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:56 AM

@Mishelle JFC if anyone said shit like that to me I'd rage super hard.

#52 FelisNoctua

FelisNoctua

• 657 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2015 - 09:46 AM

Short story long, if a situation existed where whites were a minority and underrepresented in student leadership or were at a disadvantage because of their race, yes, a WSU would be warranted. To answer the question actually asked, a WSU is not inherently racist, just, pretty pointless (here).

@Mishelle I always hear about those types of microaggressions and get boggled by them. I think it's too ridiculous to be true that those things actually get said. Which is of course silly because I rail about the microaggressions women (myself included) deal with constantly. It's blind to think that sort of thing occurs over gender but not race. I know, from reading, that microaggressions and sexualization of females is actually much worse when targets at women of color. At my university we have both a Feminist Graduate Student Association and a Black Student Union, and National Council of Negro Women, Inc. (a sort of black female student union). 

Other Student unions we have: Asian, Jewish, Konbit Kreyol, Campus Crusade for Christ as the Christian student union, and the Catholic Newman Club. I'm not sure the Christian or Catholic groups are student unions, since they don't seem to have missions, and they might just be clubs.

Personally, I think white student unions would hypothetically have a place in a school where whites are in the minority of student leader representation. However, perhaps it's my privilege blinding me, but I don't know offhand of any schools that has that problem. As @DonValentino said, even in places where whites are the minority they do not tend to have a disadvantage (my commentary obviously extends only to US schools as I know nothing about education in other countries). Student Unions for other ethnicities, cultures, genders, sexualities, and religions, exist to make sure those groups have their rights protected at the same level as the WASPs. They're not always successful, and they don't always exist when needed.

#53 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2,238 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2015 - 11:45 AM

@Mishelle Wow. That is intense and icky. I'm sorry you've experienced those comments. Does that stuff make you uncomfortable? Do you call people out on it often? I'm genuinely curious and I don't wanna make assumptions, if you feel up to sharing more about your experiences.

It really depends on how I feel that day. Sometimes it's so exhausting to jump into everything and explain to them why their comments aren't ok, especially the hair shit because that happens at least once a week. Sometimes I'll call them out, other times I'll just remove myself from the situation. When it happens in class I usually just ignored it because we often had a lot of group projects and I knew I just had to get through the semester and then never have to deal with them again, hopefully. But if anyone tries to take liberties with my body and touch my hair/my butt and make comments I let those bitches have it. But for the most part I deal with microaggressions with lots of snark and sarcasm. And often my friends will jump in too because they see it happening when they hang out with me. John and Willie are constantly telling people to stay out of my hair.

Edited by Mishelle, 05 December 2015 - 11:52 AM.

#54 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 3,602 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:06 PM

It really depends on how I feel that day. Sometimes it's so exhausting to jump into everything and explain to them why their comments aren't ok, especially the hair shit because that happens at least once a week. Sometimes I'll call them out, other times I'll just remove myself from the situation. When it happens in class I usually just ignored it because we often had a lot of group projects and I knew I just had to get through the semester and then never have to deal with them again, hopefully. But if anyone tries to take liberties with my body and touch my hair/my butt and make comments I let those bitches have it. But for the most part I deal with microaggressions with lots of snark and sarcasm. And often my friends will jump in too because they see it happening when they hang out with me. John and Willie are constantly telling people to stay out of my hair.

Thank you for sharing with me. I know I've experienced some microaggressions (mostly from family) over being disabled and a woman, it's different, but I'm sure we can relate to the discomfort or anger and frustration it causes.  It also helps me understand a different perspective, one that honestly, I haven't been exposed to enough. I saw that website Adam posted and I checked it out so I can expose myself more. 

#55 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1,654 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2015 - 06:37 PM

Short story long, if a situation existed where whites were a minority and underrepresented in student leadership or were at a disadvantage because of their race, yes, a WSU would be warranted.

Like, how a white applicant has to score 4.5 points higher on the MCAT to get accepted (on average) than a comparable African-American student? Before you say 4.5 points isn't a big deal, that is the difference between 60% percentile and 85% percentile. That is a huge difference.

#56 Mishelle

Mishelle
  • Bitch Of The Boards

• 2,238 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2015 - 07:50 PM

Like, how a white applicant has to score 4.5 points higher on the MCAT to get accepted (on average) than a comparable African-American student? Before you say 4.5 points isn't a big deal, that is the difference between 60% percentile and 85% percentile. That is a huge difference.

whats your source for that statistic?

#57 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1,654 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:09 PM

whats your source for that statistic?

https://www.aamc.org...actstable19.pdf

#58 savethekings

savethekings
  • 50 posts

Users Awards

Posted 05 December 2015 - 08:22 PM

That site actually shows that the white students aren't "comparable" in other aspects--their GPA is also .3 points higher on average for those who get accepted. So, it is likely that it extends to other spheres: research, volunteer, work etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users