3ds Max and Unreal 4

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:27 PM

I'm modeling a modular hotel that will be imported to Unreal 4 later on. The question is, does the grid settings of 3ds Max matter if the meshes are going to be imported to Unreal? I've searched around and people are saying the grid doesn't matter as Unreal conforms to Max's grid, is that true? I've noticed that some things are not lining up for example, I have a railing thats 6 units (cm) across but when imported to Unreal its half a unit longer than what appears in Max. Thanks.

#2 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:06 AM

I'm modeling a modular hotel that will be imported to Unreal 4 later on. The question is, does the grid settings of 3ds Max matter if the meshes are going to be imported to Unreal? I've searched around and people are saying the grid doesn't matter as Unreal conforms to Max's grid, is that true? I've noticed that some things are not lining up for example, I have a railing thats 6 units (cm) across but when imported to Unreal its half a unit longer than what appears in Max. Thanks.

Hesitant to answer since I've only half the answer :p

I've dabbled in Unreal for approximetaly 10 minutes so I'm really not sure how much of it will actually be applicable to Unreal; I use Unity instead.

That said, the grid itself of 3dsMax shouldn't matter, since you customize the grid to help yourself as a guideline. The mesh itself, not the grid, should hold the information of its dimensions. So if your mesh is 10 cm (or inch or ft or whatever measurement you've given it) it should remain 10 cm, regardless of whether your grid is 1,5 cm or 1 cm per line (lol this would make a lot more sense in Dutch, sorry). Either way, have you tried adjusting the grid settings in Unreal manually if it doesn't fit your max settings? I know Unity just sticks to its own grid.

#3 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:48 AM

Thanks for answering, Unreal seems to only have grid snapping options rather than grid adjustments. The only option that changes the grid was to change it to use power of two snap sizes which is what I tried the first time then tried using decimal grid sizes which both I had issues with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users