Quantcast

Photo

Digging up dead people; yay or nay?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

Poll: Digging up dead people (25 member(s) have cast votes)

Yay or nay?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2016 - 06:42 AM

Those who follow the great almighty George Takei may have already seen his post on facebook, sharing this article raising the ethical dilemma of displaying mummies in a museum. I thought it's an interesting debate and decided to raise it here.

What's your stance on relieving the dead from their not-so-final resting place? Do you believe in the sanctity of the grave? Do you see no problem with digging them up as long as it's for the greater good? Would you want to be dug up and put on display?

To pitch in myself; I'm a registered donor. They may literally strip me naked; every usable organ including skin. Whether it is to save someone in need or for research. Since I don't believe in anything after death, I don't see why I would need to remain intact and think my body would be put to better use if it was used for science.

As for digging other people up; I'm slightly torn. Although I really don't think you can get upset about anything when you're already dead, when my mother dies I wouldn't go running around screaming 'Lol she's dead now, let's have a corpse party'. I'd respect her wishes and carry out her funeral as best as she would've liked. Why should I treat others - 2000 year dead Egyptians, for example - any different? Why should I scathe their tombs because I think my beliefs are superior to theirs? If I don't believe in an afterlife, why would I care about theirs? I honestly don't know. I'm just an illogical human being.

So, what are your thoughts?

#2 Waser Lave

Waser Lave

• 25516 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:34 AM

To pitch in myself; I'm a registered donor. They may literally strip me naked; every usable organ including skin. Whether it is to save someone in need or for research. Since I don't believe in anything after death, I don't see why I would need to remain intact and think my body would be put to better use if it was used for science.

Same, I'm not going to be using them any more so they may as well be used to save the lives of others.

My opinion is that if it makes a significant contribution to education or science/research then fair enough, if we hadn't entered the tombs of the Egyptians we'd never have known or been able to appreciate how amazing their civilisation was. I also think, however, that burials are a waste of space and everybody should be cremated instead.

#3 MelodyPond

MelodyPond
  • 159 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:35 AM

Well, I think I would agree it it's only done for the 2 following reasons only (imo):

1- Science. The may be able to find something on/in the person's bones that may help them find an answer to what they are looking for medically.

2- Forensics. Their corpse may lead to catching the suspect in question.

Edited by MelodyPond, 04 January 2016 - 08:43 PM.

#4 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:38 AM

This is odd.

I say let the dead stay buried unless there is a necessary need to unearth the body.

I'm a donor and after my body has been stripped I hope to be cremated and turned into a tree or something.

#5 Lollita

Lollita
  • 801 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:59 AM

Same, I'm not going to be using them any more so they may as well be used to save the lives of others.

My opinion is that if it makes a significant contribution to education or science/research then fair enough, if we hadn't entered the tombs of the Egyptians we'd never have known or been able to appreciate how amazing their civilisation was. I also think, however, that burials are a waste of space and everybody should be cremated instead.

^This

#6 Adam

Adam
  • Coffee God

• 4769 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2016 - 09:55 AM

That pink font really hurts my eye sacks, holy cow.

For science! 

#7 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:02 AM

I'm a donor too and I honestly don't care what happens with my body after my death, although I've specified to be cremated after the organ pillage.

We have a thing here, I don't know if it happens everywhere or in any other country. If it's not a permanent tomb, the remains are exhumated (?) after some years and translated to an ossuary (? why so many weird words today), because of lack of space. I don't see how is that any different, better or worse than using the remains for science or education.

As long as nothing disrespectful is done, I don't see the problem. If we never had it done we wouldn't know and learn half the things we know now about ourselves and our ancestors. 

#8 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:08 AM

I'm a donor too and I honestly don't care what happens with my body after my death, although I've specified to be cremated after the organ pillage.

We have a thing here, I don't know if it happens everywhere or in any other country. If it's not a permanent tomb, the remains are exhumated (?) after some years and translated to an ossuary (? why so many weird words today), because of lack of space. I don't see how is that any different, better or worse than using the remains for science or education.

As long as nothing disrespectful is done, I don't see the problem. If we never had it done we wouldn't know and learn half the things we know now about ourselves and our ancestors. 

Pretty much all you said. We do that thing here too, my grandpa, for example, was buried 4 years ago, and a few months ago they removed the remains to give more space or something like that. I'm not sure about what happened, but I think it's the same as you guys do.

So yeah, since we dig them up to free some space up, I think it's okay to do it for science, or something similar.

#9 Rauul

Rauul
  • Always drunk 坂本

• 1965 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2016 - 10:13 AM

For science, yes

Police cases.. yes

but other cases... hell no. its a dead person, just let him/her rest in peace

in my university is very normal go to a cementery at night and pay for a dead body (just to have a skeleton to study) have so many classmates with dead parts for study anatomy... and i think is weird

maybe that dead person could visit you while you are sleeping, or whatever

talking about egyptians... its for science, history, maybe to learn how egyptians mummified pharaons (and get all treasure obviously) 

#10 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:22 PM

I think there should be a time limit on it (other than for forensics or whatever). It isn't cheap to buy a grave site, but it is important to a lot of people, and I think it should be honored for a time (ie 50 years or something). But, no matter what, I feel the exhuming should be done as respectfully as feasible. As far as organ donation goes, I hope everyone is an organ donor! It is a great thing to do that doesn't cost you anything other than saying "sure" when you get your drivers license (in US).

#11 Elindoril

Elindoril
  • Weeaboo Trash

• 9253 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2016 - 05:35 PM

I'd only dig up a dead person so I can get back the seven-leaf clover he stole from my Breakfast Club Soundtrack record.

What a bastard.

#12 Fikri

Fikri
  • submissive

• 4433 posts

Users Awards

Posted 04 January 2016 - 08:12 PM

i'm all for digging up back dead people for whatever reason. except for necrophilia, of course. in the case of mummies tho, i'm sure they don't mind. they let themselves be buried in huge, extravagant pyramids and they want to complain about being displayed in the museums? ARE YOU KIDDING ME?

#13 DregsandDregs

DregsandDregs
  • 127 posts

Posted 05 January 2016 - 06:37 AM

Science and Forensics yes.  I'd actually argue that forensics, in the case of criminal investigation, trumps religious beliefs in most cases.  Why?  Because the person who killed the dead guy might go an kill someone else.  But that's a blury area.

Mummies...Does bodily autonomy die with the culture/religion?

Personally, I'm okay so long as the casket is kept closed with the body in it.  Basically try to be respectful of them and preserve the intent of their faith

Edited by DregsandDregs, 28 January 2016 - 12:08 PM.

#14 KittyNikki

KittyNikki
  • 114 posts

Users Awards

Posted 26 January 2016 - 08:53 AM

Meh, I have no real preference. Once you die you tend to lose all claim to your flesh anyway. 

#15 luna194

luna194
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 May 2016 - 09:06 PM

For forensics I'd have to say yes, but I'm kind on the fence for science. I'm an organ donor, but reading about things like Einstein's brain getting stolen after he died has always creeped me out. Not that it'll matter when I'm gone, but I'd rather not have my brain sitting in a jar in some guys basement. 

#16 w35l3y

w35l3y
  • 42 posts

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:28 PM

I think all we can do is while we are alive. I also think dead people deserve respect.
I think we all should do what is best for posterity, like donating organs and be studied for science. The "remaining pieces" would be cremated. So no worries about digging people.

#17 Daria

Daria
  • 419 posts

Users Awards

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:38 PM

for science and police cases (with the approval of family, of course), i think it is okay to dig someone up.

otherwise just let them rest in peace. 

in my university is very normal go to a cementery at night and pay for a dead body (just to have a skeleton to study) have so many classmates with dead parts for study anatomy... and i think is weird

that is so creepy and wrong

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users