• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:32 AM

A Harry Potter topic, because we didn't already have one :) (I hope there's any interest in this)

In case you have read the books or watched the movies: Did you like it, and who's your favorite character or actor?

What do you guys think of the black woman, Noma Dumezweni, who will play Hermoine in Harry Potter and the Cursed Child?

In my mind Hermoine is white (and it's stated in the books too) but I think she'll do a great job!

I'm also really excited about the new movie Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. The movie takes place 70 years before the Harry Potter series and it's about a guy, Scamander, who travels the world in research of magical creatures.

The movie will release in November this year, here's the announcement trailer :) :

#2 Susie

Susie
  • 1382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:34 AM

YAY! Finally a topic I can talk for hours about :D

I actually have a ticket to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child; I'm just missing the ticket to get across the ocean. 

#3 Rogue

Rogue
  • 674 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:37 AM

It's not stated in the books Hermione is white.

I love Bellatrix! <3

#4 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:40 AM

I've watched all HP movies (except for the last one, the second part), and sadly I can't like the series at all :/ But I won't go into details because it'd be rude to turn this thread into a discussion.

But that trailer looks interesting... I might watch the movie when it comes out.

#5 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:44 AM

It's not stated in the books Hermione is white.

I love Bellatrix! <3

It is, I found this online : "Hermione's white face was sticking out from behind a tree."

YAY! Finally a topic I can talk for hours about :D

I actually have a ticket to see Harry Potter and the Cursed Child; I'm just missing the ticket to get across the ocean. 

Oh that's so awesome! :D I hope they post it online for others to see too.

#6 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

I loved the books and the movies, except for 6. That movie...in the book, the whole thing is "you don't know what Draco Malfoy is doing in the room of requirement and you need to find out". Movie: "here's what Draco's doing in the room of requirement". Sure, it was only small things like a bird, but still, you can figure out exactly what he's trying to do off of those scenes. One of the biggest parts of the book was that mystery and they just took that out in the movie. 

Favorite character: was for a long time Draco but now I don't have one. 

As for the black Hermione, it's a bit odd for me since I've always seen Hermione as white, but it's not an issue. 

It is, I found this online : "Hermione's white face was sticking out from behind a tree."

White in that scene could have meant scared. People go pale when they get scared, and it tends to be described as a white face or the face going white. It doesn't mean their actual skin color. What book was that from and what scene? 

#7 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:49 AM

White in that scene could have meant scared. People go pale when they get scared, and it tends to be described as a white face or the face going white. It doesn't mean their actual skin color. What book was that from and what scene? 

Oh yes that's possible too. It's from the Prisoner of Azkaban but I don't know which scene.

Edit: You're right I think;

‘One moment, please, Macnair,’ came Dumbledore’s voice. ‘You need to sign, too.’ The footsteps stopped. Harry heaved on the rope. Buckbeak snapped his beak and walked a little faster.

Hermione’s white face was sticking out from behind a tree.

‘Harry, hurry!’ she mouthed.

#8 talbs

talbs
  • 4084 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:49 AM

I've never read any of the books or watched any of the movies. I guess I didn't have a childhood.

Either way, Emma Watson is the bomb.

#9 Rogue

Rogue
  • 674 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

Yeah, but it could mean a "pale face", not necessary caucasian. Just like:

"They were there, both of them, sitting outside Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlor — Ron looking incredibly freckly, Hermione very brown, both waving frantically at him."

It also doesn't mean she's black, just tanned. Hermione could be of almost any ethnicity.

#10 Susie

Susie
  • 1382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:52 AM

Yeah, I waited in the pre-sale online for 3 hours at work to get them, and then ended up with a restricted view :( 

But the only way to return tickets is to call, and my phone doesn't have international calling capabilities. 

#11 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:52 AM

I believe JK also said that the books only described Hermione as having brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. 

http://www.cbsnews.c...e-cursed-child/

I'm excited for Fantastic Beasts. Am I the only person who likes the American word for non magic folk? No-maj. 

#12 Rogue

Rogue
  • 674 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:53 AM

I believe JK also said that the books only described Hermione as having brown eyes, frizzy hair and very clever. 

http://www.cbsnews.c...e-cursed-child/

I'm excited for Fantastic Beasts. Am I the only person who likes the American word for non magic folk? No-maj. 

In brazilian portuguese we call the "trouxas" which alco could mean a "stupid person". lol

#13 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 11:55 AM

I just came here to brag that I was a mod and at NL's biggest HP fanforum. Yeah. Suck on that. I guess. I was even Gryffindor headmaster for a while although I was sorted in Slyth because there were no Gryffindor staff around at the time. Yeah I was a big nerd. Mock me.

I'm kinda weirded out by the black Hermione but not because she's black, just because I'm weirded out by anyone who's not Emma Watson playing Hermione. It's for the rest of the cast as well.

I was really sceptical about Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them honestly, but the trailer looks sooooo promising. I'm so excited!

#14 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:03 PM

I just came here to brag that I was a mod and at NL's biggest HP fanforum. Yeah. Suck on that. I guess. I was even Gryffindor headmaster for a while although I was sorted in Slyth because there were no Gryffindor staff around at the time. Yeah I was a big nerd. Mock me.

I'm kinda weirded out by the black Hermione but not because she's black, just because I'm weirded out by anyone who's not Emma Watson playing Hermione. It's for the rest of the cast as well.

I was really sceptical about Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them honestly, but the trailer looks sooooo promising. I'm so excited!

I'm jealous! :p What's the name of the site? I've never been a member of a HP fanforum but I'm in a BE group on fb which has a lot of members too.

#15 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:04 PM

Now I'm reminded of Pottermore. I'm really disappointed they took away potions, dueling, and exploring the chapters. Now it's just a place to look at new things JK is doing/writing. I used to be a member of HEX (Hogwarts Extreme) which is/was the largest RP HP site I believe. They have classes you can take. Like actual classes. Real people write out lessons and put them on the site, they write quizzes, it's a pretty nice place. I should go back on there. The only issue I have with it is the sorting though. You send in a sort of list of how you are like, and they place you according to that. Basically, write whatever would get you in the house you want. There's a new RP site now I think that's getting popular but I can't remember the name of it. 

#16 Katya

Katya
  • cougar slut

• 6850 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:06 PM

I'll have to give a proper response to this thread a well as watching those trailers when I get to my laptop.

But I just wanted to say that

I can relate to this. Every time I see the movies, and after for many years and rewatches (?) I still feel weird for Dumbledore. But not so much for other more or less minor characters though.

#17 Cass

Cass
  • Stronteigenwijs

• 1560 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:06 PM

I'm jealous! :p What's the name of the site? I've never been a member of a HP fanforum but I'm in a BE group on fb which has a lot of members too.

I'll send you a PM since I don't want to go and advertise against site rules :) The site's unfortunately dead though, has been for over a year :p Peeps are just not so into HP anymore </3

#18 iKate

iKate
  • Cat Lady

• 1707 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:11 PM

I'll send you a PM since I don't want to go and advertise against site rules :) The site's unfortunately dead though, has been for over a year :p Peeps are just not so into HP anymore </3

Alright! I don't think it's against the rules to advertise a site that's not a cheating site though :)

Aw that's sad :( The group I'm in on fb is still really active, but that's just not the same as a forum.

#19 Susie

Susie
  • 1382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

I miss the old Pottermore :(

#20 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:13 PM

I used to play Pottermore, it was really fun :p But when I started playing, there wasn't much to do yet, so I had to wait for an update. Then I completely forgot about it.

#21 Rocket

Rocket

• 7129 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:15 PM

Harry Potter is LIFE! I remember reading the books when I was a kid, then as each new book came out I would make sure to have it shipped same day. I would then lock myself in my room and read the book start to finish in one sitting. I've read the books so many times each, whenever I'm feeling nostalgic I'll pick one up. Philosophers Stone is my favorite, and will always be, due to being introduced to this magical land. I can also recite the movies by memory..

I think I'm going to watch them when I get home.

Oh I used to write Harry Potter fanfiction when I was younger xD God I found it a few years ago and it was so cringe haha

#22 Susie

Susie
  • 1382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 12:17 PM

I used to play Pottermore, it was really fun :p But when I started playing, there wasn't much to do yet, so I had to wait for an update. Then I completely forgot about it.

Same. And then I found out it was ending, and tried to finish it, but I couldn't get through everything :(

#23 DregsandDregs

DregsandDregs
  • 127 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:22 PM

I didn't read the seventh book, and as the series went on I felt that it needed an editor.  It was...

Okay, first few books are a bit comical, a bit farcical.  Hagrid's feet being like baby dolphins, the descriptions of the Dursleys.  Almost cartoony.  Then the books get darker, they grow up, things become more realistic in a slowly dawning fashion.  That is one of the huge strengths of the books to be honest, but Rowling continued to use the farcical descriptions and it was rather jarring.

The whole moral myopia thing, and the always chaotic evil with all the slytherins not helping Hogwarts.

Severus Snape, from the ending it's apparent what kind of character she intended him to come across as, instead it's very possible to get creeper vibes off of him.  Lily, also, seems to be intended to be a good person, instead I found myself not liking her much.

JKR is good people, though.  Great people, actually.  So I don't think it was intentional, I think she just got a bit lost in her own work--keeping track of it all is hard!  So it all could have been solved by someone going, "Uh, Jo..."  But she really didn't have that person.

The new movie: I am vaguely disconcerted by how white the city looks in the previews.  I'm really hopeful we will get to see Wizards befuddled by the casual color based racisim back then, hell, even the anti Irish sentiment, and then turn around and not blink an eye at anti-muggleborn sentiment.  (While the enlightened heroes go, "that's right rotton, behaving like that to muggleborns, t's no better than those muggles over there.")

#24 Susie

Susie
  • 1382 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:53 PM

I am wondering why the new movie, which is set in New York, is all British actors. 

#25 KaibaSama

KaibaSama
  • Weeaboo

• 5640 posts

Users Awards

Posted 14 January 2016 - 02:58 PM

Harry Potter is LIFE! I remember reading the books when I was a kid, then as each new book came out I would make sure to have it shipped same day. I would then lock myself in my room and read the book start to finish in one sitting. I've read the books so many times each, whenever I'm feeling nostalgic I'll pick one up. Philosophers Stone is my favorite, and will always be, due to being introduced to this magical land. I can also recite the movies by memory..

I think I'm going to watch them when I get home.

Oh I used to write Harry Potter fanfiction when I was younger xD God I found it a few years ago and it was so cringe haha

I remember when my Aunt picked me up from camp, she had book 5 in the car and I read the entire thing on the way back, even though reading in cars makes me feel sick. I was so engrossed in the book, that I didn't even feel sick at all. 

And then book 7 came out when I was at camp. It was a gigantic pain trying to avoid people spoiling it for me. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: harry potter, rip alan rickman

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users