Quantcast

Photo

Can you imagine a petsite you wouldn't cheat on?

petsites cheating

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 DregsandDregs

DregsandDregs
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:05 AM

I've been thinking a lot on it since I came to neocodex.  How we cheat, why we cheat.  How desperate we are to cheat.

Ambrosia is just...how devoted our coders are to it, and everything.

I'm thinking about flight rising, and how freaking tedious it is to do the fairegrounds.  I don't feel like I'm cheating, I feel like I HAVE to cheat just to be 'average.'

I think about aywas, which I did for a bit, and I wished for an autoclicker, but I didn't feel the need I felt like I do in FR.

I'm curious about your experiences.  And if you could imagine a petsite, with economy, that you wouldn't feel the need to cheat on.

#2 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:29 AM

Well I cheat because I find it helpful to have the automation and ability to get what I want quicker, easier and with less trouble than if I were to spend lets say 6 months manually trying to reach the same goal I could reach in a week or so with the help of cheating programs...

Though with Flight Rising my experience was that people were after a more involved and complex Pet game/site than Neopets... So it was made and more people who were far more hardcore players began to play it before the lesser players caught on. So I guess it doesn't matter either way. 

Infact, I myself haven't had an online pet game yet where I haven't ended up using at least a greasemonkey script...

#3 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:33 AM

Cheating is a creative way for people to test the limits of a game. That can be really fun for some people with certain personalities. But probably the main reason we cheat, and of course, I don't speak for everyone -- convenience. What is the point of legitimately playing a game and trying to earn gold/points/money when someone who can cheat will earn 10x the amount you will, in less than half the time? We cheat online because we can. Humans would probably cheat real life more if they could get away with it.

In case you haven't noticed, I don't believe humans are inherently good or bad.

#4 Rogue

Rogue
  • 674 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2016 - 08:36 AM

Nop, I like the feeling of cheating. I don't actually like Neopets THAT much, I just like to cheat. If there wasn't a way to cheat on Neopets I would have probably quit a long time ago. I never played Neopets legit!

#5 Maha

Maha
  • haha

• 1039 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:43 AM

Can I also say I find cheating somewhat fun on multiple platforms. 

I for 1 have enjoyed getting to points in Cookie Collector 2 in about 2-3 days that it would take someone legit, playing like 5 + hours a day to reach within a year or more. 
Not that I was intentionally trying to cheat at the time but hey, an exploit is an exploit. 

#6 Guest_Kate_*

Guest_Kate_*

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

I wouldn't cheat on Kaylune. I love the site and want to see it grow. I don't know I guess I'm just too emotionally invested in the site and the community there. :p 

#7 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2016 - 09:48 AM

I wouldn't cheat on Kaylune. I love the site and want to see it grow. I don't know I guess I'm just too emotionally invested in the site and the community there. :p

I feel like this too. At first, I couldn't wait for a way to cheat there, but now I don't want to ruin my experience by using programs to do the stuff I do. I really like the community and most people are really fun to chat, so I wouldn't want to risk losing that.

#8 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:01 AM

I feel like this too. At first, I couldn't wait for a way to cheat there, but now I don't want to ruin my experience by using programs to do the stuff I do. I really like the community and most people are really fun to chat, so I wouldn't want to risk losing that.

I couldn't get into Kaylune. :c  I really, really wanted to. And I tried. It just meehhh. Is it any better now since uh.. whoever found it posted about it here?

#9 Honchkrow

Honchkrow
  • 908 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:03 AM

That and I don't see much of a point in cheating when attaining money is so easy already.

#10 Swar

Swar
  • retired cheater

• 9280 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:04 AM

I couldn't get into Kaylune. :c  I really, really wanted to. And I tried. It just meehhh. Is it any better now since uh.. whoever found it posted about it here?

Honestly, there's not much to do, only during events. It's a really new site (not counting the beta stage), so they still have a lot to do. All I do is restock and quest, or just chat in the shoutbox. Somedays it's really dead there, like 10 people online, but I enjoy talking to them, so I always keep a tab on Kaylune :p But the events are always really fun, especially because of social questing. The event quest NPCs usually ask for rare stuff, so everyone quests together and it's pretty fun.

#11 Keil

Keil
  • Above Average Mediocrity

• 6591 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:05 AM

To me, cheating is almost unnecessary there. Like, if you played the game as is, you can afford anything people are willing to sell.

That and I don't see much of a point in cheating when attaining money is so easy already.

Ignore what I just said. I got ninja'd

#12 GetJinxed

GetJinxed
  • Reckless Cheater

• 1423 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2016 - 10:18 AM

More like can i imagine a game i wouldn't cheat on? Nope.

#13 Karla

Karla
  • 2478 posts

Users Awards

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:46 AM

As of today, no. If the websites weren't so tedious and gave me something to be actively engaged in, then I would reconsider. I've yet to play a petsite that offers those things.

#14 DregsandDregs

DregsandDregs
  • 127 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:48 AM

All these answers are super interesting!

Well I cheat because I find it helpful to have the automation and ability to get what I want quicker, easier and with less trouble than if I were to spend lets say 6 months manually trying to reach the same goal I could reach in a week or so with the help of cheating programs...

Though with Flight Rising my experience was that people were after a more involved and complex Pet game/site than Neopets... So it was made and more people who were far more hardcore players began to play it before the lesser players caught on. So I guess it doesn't matter either way. 

Infact, I myself haven't had an online pet game yet where I haven't ended up using at least a greasemonkey script...

Let me go though this one backwards:

Scripts ain't cheating, it's just fixing what the developers haven't implemented yet. FR in specific are very whiney, they changed their TOS over the that FR helper script for the AH.  Jerks.

FR doesn't seem more hardcore to me, it feels like...better art with historical lore.

Trouble though, yeah.  That makes sense, given the stuff about Kaylune below.

Cheating is a creative way for people to test the limits of a game. That can be really fun for some people with certain personalities. But probably the main reason we cheat, and of course, I don't speak for everyone -- convenience. What is the point of legitimately playing a game and trying to earn gold/points/money when someone who can cheat will earn 10x the amount you will, in less than half the time? We cheat online because we can. Humans would probably cheat real life more if they could get away with it.

In case you haven't noticed, I don't believe humans are inherently good or bad.

See, I tend to be of the opinion that the difficulty/hassle/need is what breeds cheating in real life.  However, online petsites have the need removed, but much higher cheating (likely because it's easier).  I'm wondering if the lack of consequences and ease basically makes it an upwards trend of cheating, or if equilibrium could be reached with a reduction in hassle

So no hassle decreased cheating.  It's easy enough to get the money for what you want/need.  Versus in FR you have to spend hours to max out fairegrounds without cheating

To me, cheating is almost unnecessary there. Like, if you played the game as is, you can afford anything people are willing to sell.

Ignore what I just said. I got ninja'd

Nope, not going to ignore it, co-oberating evidence, yeah?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users