• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2016 - 09:18 AM

What do you guys think of the halo (or devil) effect? Have you experienced it? Have you caught yourself romanticizing a person after their death? Do you hope people will remember you only for the good you did or would you prefer they remember you honestly?

For those of you who don't know, it's a bias that effects the general opinion of a person, typically after they are dead (though not exclusively). People often put loved ones on a pedestal after their death, or conversely, lower that person in every way.

This bias can present with living people too though. Like say you meet someone super attractive, that may color your impression of that person positively (even if that person is really a dickbag).

Edited by Coops, 22 January 2016 - 09:20 AM.

#2 Kaddict

Kaddict
  • 1767 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2016 - 10:03 AM

I don't recall this happening with anyone who has died, but to me personality plays a huge part in physical appearance. Not so much a great personality makes an ugly person cuter, but the reverse is definitely true. There was a girl I had seen my freshman year of high school (I think she was a jr/sr at the time) and I thought she was a mega babe, like a 9+. Then the first interaction I had with her, I realized she was a total bitch. Not to me, just in general. From that second forward, I didn't ever even find her cute. idk if she let herself go and is actually ugly, but I really can't find anything attractive about her anymore. Same goes for a lot of people I know, that was just the most intense fall.

#3 DregsandDregs

DregsandDregs
  • 127 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:02 PM

Desperately afraid of doing this to my grandmother after she dies.  She's abusive, I finally managed to see her as abusive.  I don't want to halo her.  I don't want to listen to people mourning her and calling her a good person.

#4 NapisaurusRex

NapisaurusRex
  • 🍴Aioli-American🍴

• 9425 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:23 PM

I think I do this with literally everyone I come in contact with.

#5 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2016 - 12:45 PM

I don't recall this happening with anyone who has died, but to me personality plays a huge part in physical appearance. Not so much a great personality makes an ugly person cuter, but the reverse is definitely true. There was a girl I had seen my freshman year of high school (I think she was a jr/sr at the time) and I thought she was a mega babe, like a 9+. Then the first interaction I had with her, I realized she was a total bitch. Not to me, just in general. From that second forward, I didn't ever even find her cute. idk if she let herself go and is actually ugly, but I really can't find anything attractive about her anymore. Same goes for a lot of people I know, that was just the most intense fall.

Yeah, I have definitely experienced that.

Desperately afraid of doing this to my grandmother after she dies.  She's abusive, I finally managed to see her as abusive.  I don't want to halo her.  I don't want to listen to people mourning her and calling her a good person.

This happened when my brother died in a car accident. It drove me insane. My brother was not a terrible person. But he wasn't super great either. He was a bit homophobic and definitely sexist (not entirely his fault, my dad is the epitome of homophobia and sexism). He treated his girlfriends like objects in a lot of ways. And he was reckless. And like, I remember the day of his showing, a police officer came to ask us if we thought he was suicidal or a reckless driver, so they could determine the "cause" of the collison. And my dad was just talking him up, so much. And I just flatly said "No. You're wrong. He texted and drove, he never wore his seat belt when I was in the car and he wasn't a good driver". He died because he wasn't wearing his seat belt. It made me so crazy how much ALL my family members pretended he was this amazing kid.. and he was a bit of shit and a bit of goodness... you know, like all humans.

I think I do this with literally everyone I come in contact with.

A lot of people probably do. xD

#6 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:11 PM

Eh? The Halo effect is a cognitive bias explained in psychology by initially seeing someone as positive and unable to over look flaws, and the opposite being the horns effect. It has nothing to do with someone dying. This can also apply to companies and brands as well as general attractiveness.

http://www.investope...halo-effect.asp

http://study.com/aca...advantages.html

http://www.thefreedi...and halo effect

#7 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:31 PM

Eh? The Halo effect is a cognitive bias explained in psychology by initially seeing someone as positive and unable to over look flaws, and the opposite being the horns effect. It has nothing to do with someone dying. This can also apply to companies and brands as well as general attractiveness.

http://www.investope...halo-effect.asp

http://study.com/aca...advantages.html

http://www.thefreedi...and halo effect

It also applies in death. I specified that it applied to living and dead. It is frequently seen after the death, for example Micheal Jackson (sexual abuse of children, but no big, he's the king of pop). That's how it was presented to me in the social psychology section of my general psychology course. And everything I've learned in social psychology since indicates this bias does play apart in the response to the death of a person. 

"We have noticed a certain turning point in life--namely, death--when the halo seems to become resolute and elevated. That is, when people die, often our perception of them shifts, sometimes quite extremely, toward the wholly good end of the spectrum (prepare yourself, the "holy" and "halo" puns have only just begun)."

#8 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2016 - 01:48 PM

I'm hoping I'm demonised after I die. Sounds fun.

#9 Coops

Coops
  • 🌧️🌩️🌧️

• 4009 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:04 PM

For some reason, I'm not even surprised. xD

#10 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2016 - 02:45 PM

You're demonised in life, so not much will change.

#11 Ali

Ali
  • Wielder of the Spork

• 3204 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:14 PM

You're demonised in life, so not much will change.

Only by you lot, not by people who matter.

#12 Frizzle

Frizzle
  • M'lord

• 16889 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2016 - 03:52 PM

Only by you lot, not by people who matter.

Don't lie, we will always matter to you. Whether you like it or not, this place has a profound affect on people.

#13 Padme

Padme
  • Tofu Tatas

• 1687 posts

Users Awards

Posted 22 January 2016 - 04:33 PM

I love hearing when this happens when couples break up.

It sucks they split up don't get me wrong but it's wild how fast peoples opinion changes.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users